Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stockdale is back. March back in full training.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
March and Bruno back is superb. Good to have Stockdale back as cover but an absolute joke if he strolls back into the team after Walton's taught him a lesson on how to look composed, distribute superbly and hold onto pretty fierce shots.

Agree on all this but got to comment on his distribution, to me it has been absolutely horrendous , similar to the early Michel Kuipers. I'm sure he can learn that though

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
March and Bruno back is superb. Good to have Stockdale back as cover but an absolute joke if he strolls back into the team after Walton's taught him a lesson on how to look composed, distribute superbly and hold onto pretty fierce shots.

Walton has done great and I am delighted we have him, but its only been 2 fairly quiet games in terms of keeping for a very young lad.

Are you saying if Hughes has a decent game at Norwich, Dunk should not come back in for him ?

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
If Stockdale walks back into the team after Walton's performances I will be extremely annoyed, nothing against Stockdale but Walton does not deserve to be dropped after how he's played, young lad or not he should keep the jersey he's earnt with his performances.

March coming back is great news though, will be like a new signing and we've missed him a lot since he's been out IMO

Stockdale is a much better keeper than Walton at present in my opinion

It really is as simple as that.

??? Based on what? Not performances with us this season I assume, let me guess... Based on how he's played in the premiership :rolleyes:

beakyburn

Aug 15, 2012
This is one thing that frustrates me about Naylor/The Argus. He does this update on the fitness/recovery of players, but it's never comprehensive, there's always someone missing, in this case Stephens. He's been back in training for a while (according to the last report), but this was non-contact training, and has been going on for a while. All of this might suggest that we shouldn't get our expectations up too much about Solly, simply because he's now back in training; his playing might be some way off still.
Sollys fitness will be way off. Will have a number of U21 games+full training. The new year looks best bet.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Walton has done great and I am delighted we have him, but its only been 2 fairly quiet games in terms of keeping for a very young lad.

Are you saying if Hughes has a decent game at Norwich, Dunk should not come back in for him ?

Spurs game was QUIET?!?! They were peppering our goal with shots and he did superbly.

Walton has looked a class about Stockdale so far this season.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

That's not comparing apples with apples. Dunks been probably our best player this season. Stockdale has been one of our weakest.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Not sure Bruno is fully ready:

The Albion boss had more good news on the injury front, with no new concerns ahead of Saturday’s match and he is close to welcoming both Bruno and Solly March back into the squad.

“We don’t have any new injuries, so that’s a good thing and there are a few players coming back to training.”

Bruno has been training all week, so he’s nearly ready to take part in the games and Solly has been back for a few days, which is very positive news."

Great news about Solly though, hopefully we can get him in the team this side of Xmas given need for match fitness etc.

I would go back to Stockdale, we need to manage Walton, maybe play him in the FACup?

PG

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
Over the international break I've watched the number of tedious UKIP binfests multiply, the ill-informed bickering about every other subject under the sun fester, and I thought to myself - I'm really glad football is nearly back so the trolls will crawl back under their bridges. Then this good news pops up and within a dozen posts there's bitching and moaning and mudslinging about our own players, AGAIN, and I remember it's just as infuriating when football is the topic as when bushy is chatting sh!t about immigration. Careful what you wish for eh?

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
On recent showing I fail to see how having Stockdale back to push the ball back into the 6yd box to a striker can be seen as good news. Walton, who is inexperienced didnt do it once, he held every shot either in his hands or body, perhaps with experience he will learn to push it into the 6yd box.

I take it you don't watch many of the Premier League highlights / matches because you will always see examples of keepers getting down sharply to stop a shot like the one you are referring to by Stockdale and the ball staying close by, just like the Stockdale one again as their reflect priority is to stop the original shot from going in. Sometimes a player is following up and hits the rebound in (like with Stockdale) but the pundits don't heavily criticise the keeper for it.

It seems that our fans expect perfection at all times from all of our players, it seems that none of them are allowed to ever mis-place a pass or miss an attempt on goal, or in keeperes cases, if they block a shot / punch clear then it's not allowed to go to an opposition player who then scores from it (heaven forbid the opponent ever gets credit for anything, it's always our players fault) etc....

Look at the criticism still Casper gets because of a single punch that fell to an opposition player outside the box who happened to get a hit and hope follow up effort to fly in to the net late in a match and cost us some points even though punching it was arguably the right move by the keeper in the circumstances and it was just unfortunate.

It seems that Stockdale is now getting singled out for a single incident and has had doubt (and therefore added pressure which can affect performances) cast upon him for stopping the original shot that was low to his left and was sneaking into the bottom corner but because he was unlucky that someone followed up and scored from a tight angle, it's now being used as a rod to beat him with (unfairly imo).

Players at any level arn't perfect and to expect that is ridiculous

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I am critical because he seems to do it at least once in every game rather than just one occassion, In the last couple of seasons when a shot or cross came in there was a thought of no worry PIG is there, the same confidence is not there now and I am sure most supporters sense it.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
That's not comparing apples with apples. Dunks been probably our best player this season. Stockdale has been one of our weakest.

I don't agree with Stockdale being weak at all, i really don't think he has done a great deal wrong, bar the howler at home to Cardiff.

Walton has done great, but the 2 home games I have seen him play in were very very quiet in terms of goal keeping performances.
I certainly cant remember an outstanding save.

I would definately bring Stockdale straight back into the side as much promise as Walton shows, thats my opinion anyway

Had Stockdale let that goal in against Blackburn I would bet my mortgage there would have been a thread on here saying he should have saved it......

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I am critical because he seems to do it at least once in every game rather than just one occassion, In the last couple of seasons when a shot or cross came in there was a thought of no worry PIG is there, the same confidence is not there now and I am sure most supporters sense it.

I dont feel it, I am very confident with Stockdale in goal

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Pompey looking to sign a striker we could offer them COG on loan or sale in January, but not sure how he would cope in Div 2.

Could be a win-win situation , we offload O'Grady and his lack of performance sees them going down to the Conference.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
I take it you don't watch many of the Premier League highlights / matches because you will always see examples of keepers getting down sharply to stop a shot like the one you are referring to by Stockdale and the ball staying close by, just like the Stockdale one again as their reflect priority is to stop the original shot from going in. Sometimes a player is following up and hits the rebound in (like with Stockdale) but the pundits don't heavily criticise the keeper for it.

It seems that our fans expect perfection at all times from all of our players, it seems that none of them are allowed to ever mis-place a pass or miss an attempt on goal, or in keeperes cases, if they block a shot / punch clear then it's not allowed to go to an opposition player who then scores from it (heaven forbid the opponent ever gets credit for anything, it's always our players fault) etc....

Look at the criticism still Casper gets because of a single punch that fell to an opposition player outside the box who happened to get a hit and hope follow up effort to fly in to the net late in a match and cost us some points even though punching it was arguably the right move by the keeper in the circumstances and it was just unfortunate.

It seems that Stockdale is now getting singled out for a single incident and has had doubt (and therefore added pressure which can affect performances) cast upon him for stopping the original shot that was low to his left and was sneaking into the bottom corner but because he was unlucky that someone followed up and scored from a tight angle, it's now being used as a rod to beat him with (unfairly imo).

Players at any level arn't perfect and to expect that is ridiculous

Its one person, with his built in opinion the Stockdale is a piss poor keeper and a waste of money.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here