Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is the current Albion squad "strong enough to reach the play-offs''

Is the current Albion squad "strong enough to reach the play-offs''?

• Yes

Votes: 31 12.2%
  • No

Votes: 224 87.8%

• Total voters

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
The players have the talent (equal to or perhaps more than last year, Ulloa aside), we're just not getting it out of them.

I keep going on about it, but none of our lot can lead a defensive line like Upson did. We need to plant a sturdy coccyx like him at the base of our spine to have a greater feeling of indefatigability through the team, releasing the pressure from elsewhere. That could come in the form of a keeper, a centre-half or a midfielder, i'd say. We need goals of course, but i'd say they are easier to come by with an unbreakable wall behind them.

Dub-67

Sep 12, 2012
And according to the chairman today all on less wages than our current mob

Sounds unlikely doesnt it...!
But if it is true then its even more worrying, coz it means those class players WANTED to play for us, and maybe did so for less... they believed we were going places and wanted to be a part of it.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
The players have the talent (equal to or perhaps more than last year, Ulloa aside), we're just not getting it out of them.

Really?
I don't see anyone in the squad who is as good in their position as Upson, Kuzcack, Ward or Buckley. I'd also say Orlandi and Lopez are better than Texeira and Barnes is better than any current striker.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Really?
I don't see anyone in the squad who is as good in their position as Upson, Kuzcack, Ward or Buckley. I'd also say Orlandi and Lopez are better than Texeira and Barnes is better than any current striker.

People forget that last year people like Buckley didn't perform at all. Orlandi we rarely got a game out of and Spanish Dave was pretty mediocre all season. Kuszczak got worse as the season went on too. Upson and Ward were probably better than we have now, but think Dunk and Bennett are doing well enough in their place.

Everyone said how lucky we were to get to the playoffs last year and treated it as an unexpected bonus. The difference being to this year, is they were coached well and all knew their role. We haven't had that this year yet.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
My suspicion had been that the reason we have replaced our quality departures with inferior replacements was due to an attempt to reduce the wage bill. Hearing Tony say our wage bill is higher than ever is throughly depressing considering the players we have to show for it.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I have yet to see a side I thought were light years ahead of us though.....were just lacking confidence

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Well the chairman says it is, so who are we to question him on anything he believes and a lot of posters in the past have stated this on many occasions
TBF He said that supporters would be pleased with the squad once the signings were completed. I think most of us were reasonably content with the signings. It's just when they went out to play things went downhill :(

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade

Think you have been on medication as you seem delirious, no way is the current squad anywhere near last years and is by far the worst we have had at the Amex

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
My suspicion had been that the reason we have replaced our quality departures with inferior replacements was due to an attempt to reduce the wage bill. Hearing Tony say our wage bill is higher than ever is throughly depressing considering the players we have to show for it.

If we are paying this squad more, is that another black mark against our recruitment team, are agents now seeing Burke and team as a soft touch?
Also, has our policy of waiting to the end of the window now back fired on us, have agents now realised this is what we do and as we get closer to the season start or has started in our case, they know the club will get desperate to complete their squad and up goes the wage demands for average players

Last edited:

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
People forget that last year people like Buckley didn't perform at all. Orlandi we rarely got a game out of and Spanish Dave was pretty mediocre all season. Kuszczak got worse as the season went on too. Upson and Ward were probably better than we have now, but think Dunk and Bennett are doing well enough in their place.

Everyone said how lucky we were to get to the playoffs last year and treated it as an unexpected bonus. The difference being to this year, is they were coached well and all knew their role. We haven't had that this year yet.

I think if Lopez was played in the centre as a playmaker he'd be far better than Tex or LuaLua. Last season showed us he's not a proper winger.

Kuzcack was far less good than the previous season but he still looks better than Stockdale so far

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011
"The cost of our squad this year, in terms of salaries, is higher than it has ever been in our history."

The most shocking statment from the interview.
We have always been told that we are trying to drive salary levels down.
Based on this we cannot trust the current incumbert (Burke) who agreed these deals to spend any further money.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
"The cost of our squad this year, in terms of salaries, is higher than it has ever been in our history."

Based on this we cannot trust the current incumbert (Burke) who agreed these deals to spend any further money.

Yes, thats the line that leapt out at me. How on EARTH is this squad on more money than the ones we've recently seen dismantled ? That is truly shocking. We've been force-fed this FFP mantra absolutely non-stop for the past couple of years, which is the reason why we've all had to accept the departure of our primary assets, not just for the transfer fees but (I thought) to keep the wage bill under control. So to learn that not only have we let our best players leave, we've recruited (clearly) inferior replacements who are actually on MORE MONEY ??!

I think I need a lie down.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton

Or can we trust Barber, the champion of FFP who is constantly telling us we can't afford to pay the wages other clubs are paying and soon through FFP players wages will take a dive! And here we are paying the highest salaries in our history, WTF?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Anyone know what is our salary-to-turnover percentage ? I seem to recall it being at something like 90% ?
If thats right I'm sure thats not the worst in the division by any means, but its still pretty horrific.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

I see a squad of ordinary, lower league journeymen footballers, many of them lacking in basic skills like passing to a teammate. This current group of players do not have the talent to get us anywhere near the playoffs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here