Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
I'm afraid that is just complete and utter bollocks as pointed out to Jacob Rees-Mogg by Theresa May in parliament only yesterday :shrug:

I appreciate the techical insight, very illuminating. Its rare that i agree with all the venerable legal minds from the HoL, however i will stick with their view till something else more credible than anecdote rolls up.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Has anyone involved in championing Leave actually done anything with any dignity or honour thus far?

No. And a fair few Leavers have actually left. Hypocrites

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I expect he would argue that the world is bigger than the EU.....you are so keen to pigeon hole leavers as nationalists, (which you hate) that when they prove they are not nationalists you hate them for that.....there is a common denominator here isnt there?

There’s no spin to be put on this in his favour. He spent months proclaiming Brexit was going to be good for British industry and companies should hold tight and keep their industry in the U.K.
Disgraceful actions from him.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I expect he would argue that the world is bigger than the EU.....you are so keen to pigeon hole leavers as nationalists, (which you hate) that when they prove they are not nationalists you hate them for that.....there is a common denominator here isnt there?

Here's your answer.

[tweet]1087770431300472833[/tweet]

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
https://www.bbc.com/news/business-46962093

“Dyson to move head office to Singapore “ - ****ing hypocrite.
Why's he a facking hypocrite?
He states clearly the issues here regarding talented engineers.Maybe if we had students that actually had potential in this kind of engineering then he wouldn't need to go elsewhere.Most of the students here are interested in dossing around doing pointless courses or joining groups of demonstrators to Appease the far left.
It's clear that universities here are for making money and to brainwash youngsters.

I'd love to see the stats on the percentage of students who Actually go onto be successful in their field of studying.
This country needs a massive overhaul in many sectors as its just a cash cow for many unscrupulous organisations.

It's not all about better deals with the EU....as stated.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
He states clearly the issues here regarding talented engineers.Maybe if we had students that actually had potential in this kind of engineering then he wouldn't need to go elsewhere.Most of the students here are interested in dossing around doing pointless courses or joining groups of demonstrators to Appease the far left.
It's clear that universities here are for making money and to brainwash youngsters.

I'd love to see the stats on the percentage of students who Actually go onto be successful in their field of studying.
This country needs a massive overhaul in many sectors as its just a cash cow for many unscrupulous organisations.

It seems in his case it absolutely is about better deals with the EU. Read Thunderbolt’s post.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
This conversation is veering towards slightly different people talking about slightly different things... AB group here, A group there, 0.1% here, 4% there. And a bit too much wholescale google-lifting perhaps. Do normal people, off the top of their heads, actually say things like... “This stratum, in England, traditionally uses Received Pronunciation natively... a typical Mosaic geodemographic type for this group would be cultural leadership”?

But may I mention the working class? Only because you did.

I really hadn’t realised that this thread has been dripping in contempt for it. In fact I can barely recall it being mentioned.

Certainly, the hard fact that the Leave vote contained a disproportionate number of less-educated people has been talked about. Perhaps you feel that “less-educated” is some sort of code for “working class”.

It is certainly used as code for “thick” although my impression is that for every Remain voter describing Leave voters as thick there are ten Leave voters leaping up and down in victim-shrouded joy at the very thought of it.

So if it’s not because they’re thick, why did more poorly-educated people vote Leave? You may have a view on this.

Can I offer two reasons? One, the lesser one, is that there might be some connection between people’s level of education and their interest in politics - and people with little interest in politics are, generally-speaking, more likely to be persuaded by the black and white clarion calls of the Leave campaign. If that sounds patronising it’s not intended to be - I’m poorly educated myself.

The greater reason for me is that people with lower educational qualifications tend to have fewer career and lifestyle opportunities . It was that lack of such opportunities, that sense of being left behind, that fuelled much of the Leave-vote. And older people in particular, less educated by tradition, looked back at their lives and felt a sense of being short-changed by circumstance.

And at that point a load of Eton-educated toffs rolled up on their doorsteps and invited them to vote for the status-quo...

The meaning of social class A as referenced in my post was taken from the same wiki link from [MENTION=35904]A1X[/MENTION] who is using it to support his view that the rich voted for leave. Which is nonsense.

As is your assertion that this thread isnt soaked with contempt for the working class, the racist thickos, the geriatric gammon faced little Englanders and knuckle dragging EDL supporters which are all euphimisms for the uneducated and politically uninterested as you more politely refer to them.

This particular matter is a wonderful example of just how contorted some people are to ignore facts in order to protect (in their view) the integrity of their argument.

By all means put up your supposition that the poor voted remain and the millions of darstedly Tory millionaire toffs voted leave, its a helpful benchmark to segregate the reasonsble from the bigots.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Has anyone involved in championing Leave actually done anything with any dignity or honour thus far?

Apart from the resignations from May's cabinet, no...… mind you, some of those resignations are only about being ready to seize No 10 !

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

You are being conned. Well and truly conned.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Well, well, well..... and he was the poster boy for Brexit. Who'd have predicted it?

He had no qualms about trousering the EU subsidies for all the land he owns.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here