Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Knockaert

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Sure, but my point was to illustrate that stats are looked at all the time by management teams. You can't honestly think they look at the opposition's stats and not our own?

Might as well replace football managers with Artificial Intelligence & Machine Learning computers then :)

I get all that, but I think any manager of his own team relies on what he sees

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Might as well replace football managers with Artificial Intelligence & Machine Learning computers then :)

I get all that, but I think any manager of his own team relies on what he sees

I'd imagine he goes by what he sees and then looks to see whether it gets backed up. For example, lots of people say Knockaert impressed at the weekend and deserves to start the Man Utd game. Yet he didn't create a chance, he lost the ball 3 times, he didn't have a shot...

I guess my point is that fans see what they want to see. He has to be a bit more impartial and look a tad deeper.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I'd imagine he goes by what he sees and then looks to see whether it gets backed up. For example, lots of people say Knockaert impressed at the weekend and deserves to start the Man Utd game. Yet he didn't create a chance, he lost the ball 3 times, he didn't have a shot...

I guess my point is that fans see what they want to see. He has to be a bit more impartial and look a tad deeper.

Agree 100%

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC

The stats really aren't that damning against Knocky. He's played 12 games and 6 sub apps, Solly has 21 games and 1 sub app.

Solly - Key Passes - 1.4, Assists - 5, Shots per game - 1.3, Tackles - 1.5, Interceptions - 1, Pass Accuracy - 71.2%

Knocky - Key Passes - 1.1, Assists - 4, Shots per game - 1.1, Tackles - 1.4, Interceptions - 1.1, Pass Accuracy - 75.3%

I don't really see a huge disparity between the two, I think you're so convinced everyone is attacking Solly when a lot of us probably aren't and just think he's looked off the boil the last few games based on watching the matches. I know you disagree, and that's totally fine but my point is really that Solly is not a hugely better player than Knocky this year, and to say he doesn't deserve a chance is a bit off.

Quick edit: I am a fan of Solly March, the few people who listen to my podcast can attest to the fact that I have been a fan of his especially over December and even when he was getting into the number 10 role. This isn't an anti Solly post.

Source:
https://www.whoscored.com/Teams/211/Show/England-Brighton

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
The stats really aren't that damning against Knocky. He's played 12 games and 6 sub apps, Solly has 21 games and 1 sub app.

Solly - Key Passes - 1.4, Assists - 5, Shots per game - 1.3, Tackles - 1.5, Interceptions - 1, Pass Accuracy - 71.2%

Knocky - Key Passes - 1.1, Assists - 4, Shots per game - 1.1, Tackles - 1.4, Interceptions - 1.1, Pass Accuracy - 75.3%

I don't really see a huge disparity between the two, I think you're so convinced everyone is attacking Solly when a lot of us probably aren't and just think he's looked off the boil the last few games based on watching the matches. I know you disagree, and that's totally fine but my point is really that Solly is not a hugely better player than Knocky this year, and to say he doesn't deserve a chance is a bit off.

Quick edit: I am a fan of Solly March, the few people who listen to my podcast can attest to the fact that I have been a fan of his especially over December and even when he was getting into the number 10 role. This isn't an anti Solly post.

Source:
https://www.whoscored.com/Teams/211/Show/England-Brighton

I didn't say they were damning on Knockaert...

I questioned two things: -
1) taking your second biggest creative force out of the team.
2) whether Knockaert's performance at the weekend really deserved a starting place ahead of March.

As I've repeatedly said, I rate them both as you do, but I think Solly is a more rounded player personally i.e. his defensive positioning and discipline is better than Knockaert's and they have a similar attacking output. I think Knockaert started the season excellently and (as I've said before) was taken out of the team unfairly. I don't personally think he's recaptured that in his performances since, but that isn't a personal knock on Knocky - the exact same thing happened to March last year where he started the season as arguably our best attacker, got dropped and then struggled with confidence when brought back into the team.

But to suggest that there isn't a bit of an agenda against March on here is almost naive. There are a lot of people that simply don't rate him. All I'm doing is sticking up for him - that isn't at the expense of Knockaert. I just don't think Knockaert has done enough in his recent game time to take March's shirt.

Jovis

Mar 30, 2012
I fooking love Knocky. That is all.

And I guess that’s the point I’ve tried to make through of the stats. No one ever ‘fooking loves’ Solly March, and no one ever will. He carries out instructions to the letter, i’m sure, but will never excite me. And that’s why I go to football.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
And I guess that’s the point I’ve tried to make through of the stats. No one ever ‘fooking loves’ Solly March, and no one ever will. He carries out instructions to the letter, i’m sure, but will never excite me. And that’s why I go to football.

To be excited by Solly March?

Does he have any say in that?

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave

I think he does a good job for the team, but has only genuinely excited me in 2 pre season friendlies. One v Norwich, scored a cracker. One v Ath Madrid, put the Spain full back on his arse & they eventually kicked him out the game as they couldn't handle him.
He can excite, he has the skills, but plays to a team plan, which is probably why he gets so many games.

Jovis

Mar 30, 2012
I think he does a good job for the team, but has only genuinely excited me in 2 pre season friendlies. One v Norwich, scored a cracker. One v Ath Madrid, put the Spain full back on his arse & they eventually kicked him out the game as they couldn't handle him.
He can excite, he has the skills, but plays to a team plan, which is probably why he gets so many games.

Agreed that there’s no question he has the ability, but in 40 years of watching the Albion I have never been so frustrated with a player who should be more than he is.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Exactly. I have literally never heard someone leaving the Amex near me telling their friend "what a good, professional job" so and so did. After Palace it was all about Balogun's amazing volley and Andone beasting their centre backs for the third. After Everton it was about Locadia scoring. After Liverpool about the shit show of a referee that made the game all about him - but also a teeny weeny bit about Salah. You'd have to admit that if one of our players earned a penalty like that we'd be creaming ourselves over it. Even when people talk about Dunk and Duffy they talk about their crunching tackles and their spectacular blocks, not how well they kept the shape or played offside. Fans love action and drama. Knocky provides it, Solly doesn't.

However, the corollary to that is that all the dull, unsung bits we don't talk about are just as important to our current league position. We have no idea if it would be better or worse if Knocky had played more and March less, only that with March we're pulling above our weight.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
And I guess that’s the point I’ve tried to make through of the stats. No one ever ‘fooking loves’ Solly March, and no one ever will. .

I think he does a good job for the team, but has only genuinely excited me in 2 pre season friendlies. .

Fans love action and drama. Knocky provides it, Solly doesn't.

In 40 years of watching the Albion I have never been so frustrated with a player who should be more than he is.

Blimey fellas . Tough crowd. only a few weeks ago he provided amazing pin point crosses to Duffy and then to Andone to secure *that* coming from behind win at Huddersfield. *that* ball for Glenn to get our win v Man Utd up and running in August. He's even scored this season too ! Not enough action, drama, excitement there ?

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Blimey fellas . Tough crowd. only a few weeks ago he provided amazing pin point crosses to Duffy and then to Andone to secure *that* coming from behind win at Huddersfield. *that* ball for Glenn to get our win v Man Utd up and running in August. He's even scored this season too ! Not enough action, drama, excitement there ?

I see what you've done there; isolated a few words from the bigger picture. Listen, I like Solly, no problem with him, doing a great job. Just that Knocky gets people off their seats, that's all. Delighted to have both in our team.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Agreed that there’s no question he has the ability, but in 40 years of watching the Albion I have never been so frustrated with a player who should be more than he is.
You mean more than:-

- 128 appearances for his home town club.
- Played for 4 (citation needed) different managers.
- Survived 2 very long term injuries.
- A Premier League player.
- Ever present in a mid table side.
- Most assists for said side, which has spent over £100m in 'assist providers'.

Fortunately he can't score for toffee as if he could you wouldn't be 'frustrated with the player' because he wouldn't be playing for the Albion.

I suggest you build a time-machine, go back to any one, from 1-35, of your Albion 'supporting' years then return and talk to us about frustrating.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

I see what you've done there; isolated a few words from the bigger picture. Listen, I like Solly, no problem with him, doing a great job. Just that Knocky gets people off their seats, that's all. Delighted to have both in our team.

Yep, exactly what Smudge said. I'd add that no less than Ian Wright said on MOTD last week that he'd like March to be more creative;

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Apparently in training he puts excellent balls in the box yet freezes on match day. He’s had the most shots than any other player this season and only one goal.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Yep, exactly what Smudge said. I'd add that no less than Ian Wright said on MOTD last week that he'd like March to be more creative;

I think his point, and you probably thought the same, was that he'd like March to be allowed to be more creative.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
You mean more than:-

- 128 appearances for his home town club.
- Played for 4 (citation needed) different managers.
- Survived 2 very long term injuries.
- A Premier League player.
- Ever present in a mid table side.
- Most assists for said side, which has spent over £100m in 'assist providers'.

Fortunately he can't score for toffee as if he could you wouldn't be 'frustrated with the player' because he wouldn't be playing for the Albion.

I suggest you build a time-machine, go back to any one, from 1-35, of your Albion 'supporting' years then return and talk to us about frustrating.
Your happy watching him make wrong choices in the box 90% of the time then? Why can’t we discuss our current team without someone reverting to when we were shit all the time? Get over it and move on.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here