Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
Do you think parliament would pass a bill to cancel Brexit.

Yes. If comes down to No Deal vs withdraw article 50 I think parliament will opt for the latter.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
There will have to be the no deal with transition period, that people love to mock on here.

Unless Parliament can pass a new law to reserve the 29th March leaving date, and I strongly doubt they will able to, then the EU will have to act otherwise it will lead to war.

We have a transition period if we get a deal, so there is no reason why it won't happen if there is no deal, even if the EU have to pass new laws. Its in no ones interest to "flick the switch" on 29th March, when there can be a transiion period.

The EU are on a long term bluff, and we have a weak PM who will not stand up to them. Parliament may force the issue, because if the repeal the 29th March leaving date law, then things will get seriously nasty in this country, and I would not want to be an MP is that happens.

An amendment to the withdrawal act to change the date might well be possible using those Henry 8th powers that are in there.

It shouldn't lead to War, all Brexiteers mocked the idea that leaving the EU would endanger peace.

There is no point having a transition period if there is no chance of transitioning to something, the EU will hold it's nerve in the game of Chicken, because they are driving a truck and we are in Del Boys Reliant.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Bloody hell. I think you would be worse than the PM at getting us a good deal.

None of that will happen. The EU need us as much as we need them. In fact they need us more.

No deal will mean we will agree a new final date and work towards it. No pay outs. No terms we don't like, and nothing will change.... to begin with. We will agree things like citizens rights etc as we go, document by documents. If we don't agree on something, it won't happen.

I think we will leave on the 29th. I think we will leave without a deal. We will have a transition period. The EU would be blowing its own brains out if we didn't. Could you image the unrest in Germany is they couldn't exports cars to us. Could you image the French if there wine industry died because they couldn't export to us!!! These countries are on the brink as it is with civil unrest amongst its people. Are the leaders going to allow that to happen. Are they hell! There will be civil unrest over the whole of the EU. The far right will have a field day!

But I think we will barely notice a difference to begin with. If you really think we will be cast adrift by the EU, then I think you are wrong.

They are bluffing. We it becomes obvious to them that we will have to leave without a deal, they will rewrite the laws, in typical EU fashion, and do all the can to make it as easy as transition as possible, because if we get ****ed up, the EU gets ****ed up, and they know that, and are not about to allow that to happen, no matter how big and tough they look at the moment.

Our biggest mistake was trying to negotiate with a bully. We should have played hard ball from day one, and prepared for no deal from day one. They would have come crawling to us little Oliver Twist looking for gruel had we done that. As it is, we have given them the upper hand, because we have a wet fart running the country.

Best thing she can do now, is put it to the vote, let parliament kick it out, and then go full throttle towards no deal........... we may then find the EU trying a little harder to obtain a deal. I am still convinced they think we are going to call it off and stay. We need to prove that won't happen, then and only then, can we get serious with them.

If you think they need us more, then I understand why you think it's the EU that will back down.
I think you have badly miscalculated, only Ireland may be worse off than us in a no deal situation, but it has the EU to help it recover.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
About the same as what they gave Call-me-Dave then. Look what that lead to. Just what the EU wanted that was, wasn't it..............

Don’t think they are overly bothered anymore.

They have moved on, they have signed new deals and got 39 billion from us and will be able to keep us on a tight leash.

They are more than prepared for a no deal, whilst we are a complete shambles.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
An amendment to the withdrawal act to change the date might well be possible using those Henry 8th powers that are in there.

You mean those Henry 8th powers that Gina Miller went to court over and proved the government couldn't use them ?

The only way that date is moving is with another act of Parliamement. Given MPs aren't getting to vote on the deal until the second week of January at the very earliest there's little chance of getting new legislation passed to change the date before the 29th March. Ironically Gina Miller may have accidently assisted in an accidental 'no deal' ...... now that would be funny.

Last edited:

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
They have moved on, they have signed new deals and got 39 billion from us and will be able to keep us on a tight leash.

They only get the £39bn if the Withdrawal Agreement is ratified by the UK.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Text of EU summit conclusions on Brexit
UK withdrawal deal 'not open for renegotiation'

1. The European Council reconfirms its conclusions of 25 November 2018, in which it endorsed the Withdrawal Agreement and approved the Political Declaration. The Union stands by this agreement and intends to proceed with its ratification. It is not open for renegotiation.

2. The European Council reiterates that it wishes to establish as close as possible a partnership with the United Kingdom in the future. It stands ready to embark on preparations immediately after signature of the Withdrawal Agreement to ensure that negotiations can start as soon as possible after the UK’s withdrawal.

3. The European Council underlines that the backstop is intended as an insurance policy to prevent a hard border on the island of Ireland and ensure the integrity of the Single Market. It is the Union’s firm determination to work speedily on a subsequent agreement that establishes by 31 December 2020 alternative arrangements, so that the backstop will not need to be triggered.

4. The European Council also underlines that, if the backstop were nevertheless to be triggered, it would apply temporarily, unless and until it is superseded by a subsequent agreement that ensures that a hard border is avoided. In such a case, the Union would use its best endeavours to negotiate and conclude expeditiously a subsequent agreement that would replace the backstop, and would expect the same of the United Kingdom, so that the backstop would only be in place for as long as strictly necessary.

5. The European Council calls for work on preparedness at all levels for the consequences of the United Kingdom’s withdrawal to be intensified, taking into account all possible outcomes.

Doesn't look like they've given her diddly squat does it? Hey ho, another month wasted until the deal gets voted down in parliament. After that the only way that the UK can avoid a No Deal Brexit that's entirely within it's own power is to pass a bill to withdraw article 50.

Shame.

And don’t forget many MP`s were going to reject the EU/UK deal on the basis that if they did this would force The EU to renegotiate and compromise on the main sticking point-The Backstop.
Cynics would say the May roadshow is simply a calculated political sham to confirm from the EU that this really is the only deal on the table and to focus minds of those that thought rejecting the deal could lead to an extra compromise.
Political commentators are noting that while senior figures say this is the only deal, no signed declaration is forthcoming from the Council saying negotiations have concluded and that this declaration cant be issued anyway when you note approval is still needed from the EU parliament, after which approval is needed by the European Council by qualified majority and the Elephant in the room option of extending negotiations according to Article 50 is still a legal option.
Whatever people say to the contrary, when the votes start to offer reality, the possibility of still getting around the table is an option that is still open

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
That went well last night in Brussels, nothing as predicted

For the sake of the country the deal needs to be voted on before Christmas, in not Christmas should be cancelled this year. We need to move on...

This government are beyond contempt now

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
The only way that date is moving is with another act of Parliamement. Given MPs aren't geting to vote on the deal until the second week of January at the very earliest there's little chance of getting new legislation passed to change the date before the 29th March. Ironically Gina Miller may have accidently assisted in an accidental 'no deal' ...... now that would be funny.

Indeed,Statute can only be overturned by Statute. There are a few that think this date can be stopped by motions or amendments to motions........not going to happen.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
James Crisp

Verified account

[MENTION=3680]jamesc[/MENTION]risp6
Follow Follow [MENTION=3680]jamesc[/MENTION]risp6
More
Understand that , under questioning from EU 27 leaders, one of Theresa May's responses was "Brexit means Brexit."

Jeez.
1:44 AM - 14 Dec 2018

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
You mean those Henry 8th powers that Gina Miller went to court over and proved the government couldn't use them ?

The only way that date is moving is with another act of Parliamement. Given MPs aren't getting to vote on the deal until the second week of January at the very earliest there's little chance of getting new legislation passed to change the date before the 29th March. Ironically Gina Miller may have accidently assisted in an accidental 'no deal' ...... now that would be funny.

This remark I'm afraid exposes your small mindedness

Whatever happens I'd rather play by Gina's rules than those of yourself (as Paul Dacre) that makes democracy up as you go along, enemies of the people etc etc

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
This remark I'm afraid exposes your small mindedness

Whatever happens I'd rather play by Gina's rules than those of yourself (as Paul Dacre) that makes democracy up as you go along, enemies of the people etc etc

You have got to admit though its really funny that woman thought Parliament would never invoke Article 50 and by insisting Parliament must vote to allow Article 50 being invoked instead of the executive, she thought brexit would be halted by parliamentary democracy over the common as muck referendum. Her actions however only enforced the legitimacy of the Brexit process. BIG LOL.......really really BIG LOL

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003

Well that's good ...... you'll accept then that the exit date can't be moved except via an act of Parliament ?

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Yes. If comes down to No Deal vs withdraw article 50 I think parliament will opt for the latter.

Faisal Islam on Sky News just now said The EU appear to have had enough and are digging in until something changes from our side - either a request for an Article 50 extension of revocation of Article 50 itself.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Faisal Islam on Sky News just now said The EU appear to have had enough and are digging in until something changes from our side - either a request for an Article 50 extension of revocation of Article 50 itself.

:rotlf:

Because Faisal Islam reports unbiased Brexit news

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here