Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who will be the next leader of the Conservative party?

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
How have so many leading democracies got such a (perceived) poor pool of politicians to choose from? Is it too much to ask for to have a high level of personality, conviction and integrity? Why do so many lack one or even two of these traits? I didn't vote LD but we could really do with a few more Vince Cables, glad he's back in politics. But for every Vince, there's an Emily Thornberry, Diane Abbot, George Asbourne, Michael Gove etc. It seems Politics no longer attracts statesmen and women like those we saw in the 20th century. And the biggest example of this is Trump. Instead we more often than not get Sarkosy's, Belesconi's and Johnson's...absolute self serving buffoons whose legacy is chaos. The world is crying out for leadership - has politics become so toxic that no ones interested anymore, of any great quality?

People of real talent have better things to do. I know everyone moans when MPs get pay rises, but you can earn more in many other fields and without the grief from the media.

larus

People of real talent have better things to do. I know everyone moans when MPs get pay rises, but you can earn more in many other fields and without the grief from the media.

The Prime Minister is paid £150,402 a year. This includes the basic salary for a member of parliament which is currently £74,962. It doesn't factor in the value of the Prime Minister's flat in Downing Street, or her other official residences.

Frighteningly small amount of money. I know, compared to the average wage it's high, but compared to the directors of many SME's it's not much. They do it for the other 'jobs' they can get IMO. The Non-Exec roles etc.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
oh, you beat me to it :thumbsup:

edit (after reading further): OK, fair play maybe [MENTION=240]larus[/MENTION] didn't say ALL Labour voters. But fed of reading people complaining about insults etc when the amount of stick that was given out following the referendum/previous election etc was just as bad, if not worse. Not that I care but just for the sake of balance :D

Last edited:

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
I don't recall Labour supporters being critical of Labour policies.

If I hadn’t read any of your other posts before I would assume you were being continuing to be deliberately ironic as it would be the far most likely and logical conclusion.

As it is I have, and can only conclude that you are by far the most blinkered poster on this forum, and that is saying something!

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Being opening critical of a Conservative Prime Minister before her disastrous election result and subsequently voting Lib Dem are probably going to hold me back there. Perhaps I should just delete all my posts from NSC to minimise the number of skeletons in my closet should I toss my hat into the ring.

Au contraire - under the "new" politics ushered in by J Corbyn and just about to be embraced by the blues these are excellent credentials for the new breed of one nation Tory!! Bozza and Boris anyone?!!

larus

If I hadn’t read any of your other posts before I would assume you were being continuing to be deliberately ironic as it would be the far most likely and logical conclusion.

As it is I have, and can only conclude that you are by far the most blinkered poster on this forum, and that is saying something!

Hmm, so you think you're read ALL of my posts on the forum eh! Wow, you're either a stalker or a sad git with no life. I can't say that I remember reading any of yours apart from you trying to have a dig at me on this thread.

Anyway, I know what I said and I never said all Labour supporters; if the wording was not in plain enough English for you then that is really not my fault. You need to take some responsibility for your own at interpreting language.

Anyway, I'm out of here now - can't be bothered discussing something with someone so blinded in his views.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Hmm, so you think you're read ALL of my posts on the forum eh! Wow, you're either a stalker or a sad git with no life. I can't say that I remember reading any of yours apart from you trying to have a dig at me on this thread.

Anyway, I know what I said and I never said all Labour supporters; if the wording was not in plain enough English for you then that is really not my fault. You need to take some responsibility for your own at interpreting language.

Anyway, I'm out of here now - can't be bothered discussing something with someone so blinded in his views.

Where did I say I had read all you posts, or even say that I thought I had read all your posts?! :mad:

I know what you said it's quoted above in other posts and below:

What is so f*cking annoying on here is the pathetic, blinkered comments from a lot on both sides.

I will also admit that the Tories have made mistakes in the past; yet I can't recall seeing that from Labour supporters.

I don't recall Labour supporters being critical of Labour policies.

Its clear as day and worded very plainly, and I interpret it as you not recalling Labour supporters being critical of Labour policies, or admitting Labour's mistakes. And that you think that what is so f*cking annoying on here is the pathetic, blinkered comments from a lot on both sides, which is rank hypocrisy. :mad:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
How have so many leading democracies got such a (perceived) poor pool of politicians to choose from? Is it too much to ask for to have a high level of personality, conviction and integrity? Why do so many lack one or even two of these traits?

I would hazard a guess that it may be because a large number of the electorate in these democracies are easily led, (I was going to say shallow and fickle, but refrained :wink:) and would never stick with a politician that has a high level of conviction and integrity ?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Au contraire - under the "new" politics ushered in by J Corbyn and just about to be embraced by the blues these are excellent credentials for the new breed of one nation Tory!! Bozza and Boris anyone?!!
Boris? No thanks.

Will I rule out standing for the leadership?
I have not considered standing for the leadership.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Even if she finds a safe seat, the Tory party membership is staunchly anti-EU and I'm not sure they'd find her acceptable.

The Tory Party is NOT staunchly anti-EU. The definition of "staunch" is very loyal and committed in attitude, yet for 49 out of the last 50 years the majority of the Tory Party have favoured the EU, including all of the previous 4 Tory Prime Ministers.

The Tories can take or leave the EU depending on what's in it for them and where the votes are, and I can see they would quite easily return to the EU fold 'en masse' if there was no deal and subsequent economic hardship and / or if the subject of free movement got sorted.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think it will be a young unknown MP who is seen to have potential in much the same way as Cameron arrived on the scene as I do not remember much being shouted about him prior to his appointment.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Boris Johnson

.. is a deeply divisive figure. When the times comes, he'll run for sure but I'd be very surprised if he were to win. There is no obvious successor which is why May could be around for longer than many first thought. What else are they going to do? If they boot May out soon, there's a leadership race followed by a general election which they would probably not win. So she's been quite clever by bringing everyone who will run into the cabinet, Rudd, Davies, Johnson, Hammond, and the old enemy Gove, keep your friends close etc If it all falls apart, or should that be, WHEN, Brexit and the economy goes wrong, they will all be tarred with the same brush.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I was reading that Ruth Davidson is keen to break away the Scottish Tories from the UK Conservative and Unionist Party, so this won't endear her to Central Office and being Scottish and lesbian may not play well with the older members of the Tory rank and file.

Indeed, she's not only doing a fine job in Scotland but she did so well by gaining 12 seats she probably made the difference between Theresa May clinging on to power and a Corbyn-led coalition getting into No. 10.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Man of the people ... Jacob Rees Mogg.

Jacob.jpg

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham

Indeed, for most of my career I earned more than a politician, and I would say I was only average at my job.

I've said for a long time that MPs should be paid more, get less expenses and not be allowed to hold other paid positions while they are serving MPs. They're welcome to earn as much as they like after leaving office.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The Tories have got to find someone with a broader appeal - especially to the younger voters. Gove and Johnson would go down like a lead balloon, for different reasons. I can't think of an obvious candidate - but Ruth Davidson (if she gets a Westminster seat) would tick a lot of boxes.

Was I wrong to laugh so hard at the last part of your post that I almost blew my left testicle out of my back side?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I think it will be a young unknown MP who is seen to have potential in much the same way as Cameron arrived on the scene as I do not remember much being shouted about him prior to his appointment.

He wrote Michael Howard's (very right wing) manifesto that was twatted aside by Mr Tony, and decided to run for leader as the Tory Tony. He was very certainly part of the inner circle and very much not an anonymous back bencher.

Very hard to come from nowhere in the Tory party. they are traditional, hierarchical and resistant to flash harrys (which is how Boris is still seen by many in Westminster).

No, it will be a dullard.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here