Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Government do something right for a change regarding FOBTs.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
They could always go and get a job instead of spending their time and money in the bookies.

Ok you go to the poor parts of Middlesbrough, Grimsby, Bradford, Manchester, Liverpool, Birmingham, Coventry, Cardiff, London etc etc.... shout out “get a job” see how you get on... the only shops in destitute areas are off licences, charity shops and three bookies.... think about that.... go on think about it....

If you still come back with the same old Tory rhetoric.....

I or no one else can change your mind, it’s your choice, your opinion and your right....

But your wrong, their fecking leaches on society and especially the vulnerable, the I’m alright jack attitude is not all right and just as selfish as the vulnerable. It should be the I’m alright jacks helping the vulnerable not saying feck em, I’m alright.

Which are you ?

Beach Seagull

Jan 2, 2010
I hope you are never affected by someone close to you with a gambling addiction, your uneducated comments on this thread have made me quite angry.

Ah bless ya......'uneducated' eh because I said why can't adults take some personal responsibility and stop blaming others for their stupidity. Nobody makes you play those machines.

Beach Seagull

Jan 2, 2010
Ok you go to the poor parts of Middlesbrough, Grimsby, Bradford, Manchester, Liverpool, Birmingham, Coventry, Cardiff, London etc etc.... shout out “get a job” see how you get on... the only shops in destitute areas are off licences, charity shops and three bookies.... think about that.... go on think about it....

If you still come back with the same old Tory rhetoric.....

I or no one else can change your mind, it’s your choice, your opinion and your right....

But your wrong, their fecking leaches on society and especially the vulnerable, the I’m alright jack attitude is not all right and just as selfish as the vulnerable. It should be the I’m alright jacks helping the vulnerable not saying feck em, I’m alright.

Which are you ?

Manchester, Liverpool, Birmingham, Cardiff, London off licenses, charity shops and bookies? Are you having a laugh? They are vibrant cities with loads of job opportunities. 'Poor areas' public transport is not exactly expensive to city centres. Unemployment is at the lowest level since 1975. This is 2018 not 1981. Someone close to me lives in Cardiff, has 2 GCSE's and has had no problem getting a job.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Manchester, Liverpool, Birmingham, Cardiff, London off licenses, charity shops and bookies? Are you having a laugh? They are vibrant cities with loads of job opportunities. 'Poor areas' public transport is not exactly expensive to city centres. Unemployment is at the lowest level since 1975. This is 2018 not 1981. Someone close to me lives in Cardiff, has 2 GCSE's and has had no problem getting a job.

As I said your opinion, your entitled to it obviously, you’ve answered...

We disagree, I can’t and don’t wish to argue with you, it’s futile for both of us, I hope you have a nice safe comfortable life in your Tory middle class bubble, end of conversation, good health fella and good night.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

And yet substance abuse and gambling addictions are at an all time high level. Which kind of blow your theory apart.

You are not aware that there is no correlation between getting a job and curing your addiction? In fact the income will further exacerbate the problem and enable further abuse.

It's also harder to get a job when you're addicted to spending your days compulsively pumping the rent money into a machine. You may have known an addict, and I am genuinely sorry their addiction killed them but you clearly do not understand addiction and your comments reinforce that. Sorry but that's how you are coming across and you are perfectly entitled to do so. I will say that thankfully there are people out there that don't hold your views.

Anyway, sorry for your loss and good night.

Last edited:

Beach Seagull

Jan 2, 2010
As I said your opinion, your entitled to it obviously, you’ve answered...

We disagree, I can’t and don’t wish to argue with you, it’s futile for both of us, I hope you have a nice safe comfortable life in your Tory middle class bubble, end of conversation, good health fella and good night.

No Tory middle class bubble for me I can assure you. Comprehensive 'educated' not a high calibre person which is reflected on what I do for a living. Good health to you and good night.

Beach Seagull

Jan 2, 2010
And yet substance abuse and gambling addictions are at an all time high level. Which kind of blow your theory apart.

You are not aware that there is no correlation between getting a job and curing your addiction? In fact the income will further exacerbate the problem and enable further abuse.

It's also harder to get a job when you're addicted to spending your days compulsively pumping the rent money into a machine. You may have known an addict, and I am genuinely sorry their addiction killed them but you clearly do not understand addiction and your comments reinforce that. Sorry but that's how you are coming across and you are perfectly entitled to do so. I will say that thankfully there are people out there that don't hold your views.

All fair points you make apart from not understanding addiction. Believe me I do.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere

What are you on? Have you seen the appalling statistics concerning addiction, familial abuse, financial destitution and early death in the areas mentioned? Are you totally bolly eyed?

Just because you know someone in Cardiff with 2 GCSEs and a job and know someone who is an alcoholic does not make your view valid...it makes your view laughable.

The evidence, should any more be required, is the bullshit you post on this thread.

Clearly you haven't visited the areas of the north where social security dependence spreads across generations, where academic opportunities are practically non existent and breaking out of that spiral is the exception.

You're just making yourself look daft mate.

Beach Seagull

Jan 2, 2010
What are you on? Have you seen the appalling statistics concerning addiction, familial abuse, financial destitution and early death in the areas mentioned? Are you totally bolly eyed?

Just because you know someone in Cardiff with 2 GCSEs and a job and know someone who is an alcoholic does not make your view valid...it makes your view laughable.

The evidence, should any more be required, is the bullshit you post on this thread.

Clearly you haven't visited the areas of the north where social security dependence spreads across generations, where academic opportunities are practically non existent and breaking out of that spiral is the exception.

You're just making yourself look daft mate.

I'm not making myself look daft, I'm just expressing a view you don't agree with.

Regarding the stats you quote above would you be able to post them please?

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
I'm not making myself look daft, I'm just expressing a view you don't agree with.

Regarding the stats you quote above would you be able to post them please?

OK. Here you go professor.

http://https://www.centreforsocialjustice.org.uk/core/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/BreakdownB_addictions.pdf

Addicted Britain report. Deprived northern areas fare worse in every category. They should all just get a job.

There's loads of others...as I think you know...you're just being a bell...I don't think anyone seriously questions this.

I grew up in Birkenhead and I can tell you addiction and poverty are linked to social opportunity.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
i doubt there will be any directly related shop closures, maybe a few marginal shops that bearly make money. just the usual bleating of an industry faced with change.

If a bookies is employing anybody [in a front-line, customer service role] who's job depends on these machines, then that bookie deserves to go bust immediately... they a f*cking incompetent.

These are automated computer programs designed to take money from punters without the need for any human interaction. My estimate is that the average playing time is 30mins and the average time taken to cash in a win is about 2mins. If 50% of people actually walk away with winnings then each shop would need 1 member of staff for every THIRTY of these machines they have. I believe that each shop can only have 4 so that is about 13% of one person's time.

If any shop lays off a member of staff because of this they are admitting they employed someone who was only working 4hrs 40mins a week but being paid for 35hrs.

Shop closures or staff loses because of this is directly the result of bookies over-saturating the market with shops.

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
Oh dear, I feel for you... I had a run with the Birkenhead Bulldogs Scooter Club many moons ago at a Scooter Rally up north then they came and payed our club a visit it not a nice way...

Thuggish Nazis.

The whole yard is full of maniacs mate. Couldn't wait to get out.

Oh...and it wasn't me BTW. I've never owned a scooter.

Blue&WhiteSea

Jul 5, 2003
Sutton
Ah bless ya......'uneducated' eh because I said why can't adults take some personal responsibility and stop blaming others for their stupidity. Nobody makes you play those machines.

No but you cannot argue that these companies don't target people with addictive personalities.
Also the 'uneducated' reference was to your incorrect assumption that this just affects those without jobs.

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
I'm not convinced they will move onto different forms of gambling actually. The issue is the impulsive nature of the bets made on those machines - punters know in a second whether they've won or lost £200. That is the problem it is hoped this issue solves, not gambling addiction. I suspect the sort of people gambling insane amounts of money on these machines are the same people who will do exactly the same but for £2 a bet rather than £200.

We just don't know, but I just feel this legislation is worth putting in place in case it helps.

The people who are gambling insane amounts of money are doing it, almost without exception, on roulette, which is played to the same rules - and therefore the same 2.7pc margin - that has been impoverishing gamblers since the 18th century. They put a whole series of inter-related bets on a single spin of the wheel, which is why the £100 per spin limit is so significant. The Gambling Commission pointed out in their report a couple of months ago that a £2 limit effectively makes roulette pointless & unplayable for most punters. They can gravitate to the other games on the FOBT if they want, but there's simply no way they will be able to go through money at anything like the same rate.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
The people who are gambling insane amounts of money are doing it, almost without exception, on roulette, which is played to the same rules - and therefore the same 2.7pc margin - that has been impoverishing gamblers since the 18th century. They put a whole series of inter-related bets on a single spin of the wheel, which is why the £100 per spin limit is so significant. The Gambling Commission pointed out in their report a couple of months ago that a £2 limit effectively makes roulette pointless & unplayable for most punters. They can gravitate to the other games on the FOBT if they want, but there's simply no way they will be able to go through money at anything like the same rate.

Absolutely correct, and why I and many others are so pleased.

PS: You may know an ol'mate of mine or Nott.....

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here