Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Atmosphere...

jasetheace

Apr 13, 2011
It's weird about the acoustics. I was in the Lower East next to the United fans and for most of the game they were all I could hear. I knew the North stand must have been putting in a shift because, like someone said about the Man U fans: I could see them moving, but the noise doesn't really carry to the southern end of the ground. That is NOT having a go, I've been in the North and and the northern end of the ground and I know how loud it can be when everybody's up for it (which they were last night), so it is just the way the sound travels from one end to the other.

However when the whole ground joined in it was deafening! Even in the family section people were singing, indeed it was gratifying and uplifting to see so many children standing on their seats yelling abuse at the United fans.

The acoustic design sees the noise gather in the middle and therefore it appears that when one side only is singing it doesn't much register but when at least 3 sides join in their is a collision of noise and something of a sonic boom.

This was better than the Massive game. For sheer persistence and average decibels...

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Yes - but why Leeds?

I think the liverpool rivalry is more on the scousers side, The Leeds thing has more historical significance for them, football wise. I have a friend, he’s a Manc, STH at OT, he sees liverpool as a figure of fun, doesn’t like the at all, but Leeds however, he despises them.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I think the liverpool rivalry is more on the scousers side, The Leeds thing has more historical significance for them, football wise. I have a friend, he’s a Manc, STH at OT, he sees liverpool as a figure of fun, doesn’t like the at all, but Leeds however, he despises them.

The Manc I worked with, other than the obvious LFC, Leeds and MCity rivalries had bitter hatred of:

Arsenal
Spurs
Newcastle

He’d been a fan since Busby, and despised those clubs for past encounters with ManU.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Brilliant night great amtosphere from all side. Didn’t hear United although I could see them moving a lot so assumed they were giving something back most the time but drowned out by the other 3 sides tonight.
90% to see the players back in and the concourse was rocking after the game as well.
Brilliant night
Watched it on TV and I could hear the UTD fans in the first half but they were quickly drowned out by the Albion fans.
I went to the Spurs game and the atmosphere was brilliant in the West Upper then.
Well done everyone who joined in! Heard you in Malta!!!

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
It's weird about the acoustics. I was in the Lower East next to the United fans and for most of the game they were all I could hear. I knew the North stand must have been putting in a shift because, like someone said about the Man U fans: I could see them moving, but the noise doesn't really carry to the southern end of the ground. That is NOT having a go, I've been in the North and and the northern end of the ground and I know how loud it can be when everybody's up for it (which they were last night), so it is just the way the sound travels from one end to the other.

However when the whole ground joined in it was deafening! Even in the family section people were singing, indeed it was gratifying and uplifting to see so many children standing on their seats yelling abuse at the United fans.

I was the reverse. In the North (as always) and couldn’t hear anyone else but us really. The North was deafening at times last night.

However, whilst I genuinely couldn’t hear the Utd fans from my seat, it was clear they were moving and getting worked up.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
I saw some of the kids celebrating in the East stand and thought, we've won their hearts now. Any plastic fan at school is going to be laughed at by our Albion kids.

Friend of mine took his son and son's friend (both ages 8) last night. The friend is sort of Albion, sort of West Ham fan but think last night's atmosphere will have converted him now!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Yes - but why Leeds?

There was some real rivalry between Man Utd and Leeds in the early 70s. My ex was a Leeds fan so I went to Elland Rd sometimes with him.
Gordon McQueen & Jo Jordan went from Leeds to Man Utd at the same time which caused a few problems too.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Probably my best Albion night ever. When I watched us play our first game at Pissfilled I couldn't have dreamt I would see us beat the shitehouse club who robbed us of the FA cup, in the league, in the top tier, unless I'd been on the peyote. And I'm never on the peyote. Despite how it sometimes may seem.

Tears tonight. Not just me but also the big lads who sit near me. The great big soft shites.

We matched the side second in the PL, with 'nothing' to play for (except to earn their money doing their ****ing job and plunder some more league points, like they are supposed to do). We outplayed them, and without needing to go all 'batton down the hatches' a la the plucky Nigels, or Huddersfield 'we'll buy any player.com' town.

Classy, classy Brighton. I am very happy.

The last ten minutes were good as well !
;-)

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Having suffered the drums at Huddersfield and Palace, I was struck by the way that we were able to create an atmosphere without that fakery. That's a real atmosphere, not just an 'choir'.

Can barely speak this morning.

I have a sore throat today from all the shouting and singing. It went on for ages in the concourse too.

August West

Jul 30, 2013

I’m sorry but I see nothing gratifying or uplifting about children abusing another team’s supporters. Surely one of our club’s distinctive attributes is respect for others, we should not be encouraging kids to disrespect anyone.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I’m sorry but I see nothing gratifying or uplifting about children abusing another team’s supporters. Surely one of our club’s distinctive attributes is respect for others. We should not be encouraging kids to disrespect anyone.
You didn't put a smiley face in, but I'm guessing that post is tongue-in-cheek? If it isn't, well Wimbledon starts soon, that's probably more to your taste.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Did they say how many times they have played on a Friday night since then?

Well of course not. Like so many scary, fantastic, and amazing statistics it would ruin it

However keep an eye on this one.it'll be a pub quiz question in 10 years when it becomes 50

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
I’m sorry but I see nothing gratifying or uplifting about children abusing another team’s supporters. Surely one of our club’s distinctive attributes is respect for others, we should not be encouraging kids to disrespect anyone.

The kids should be encouraged to take it to school on Tuesday and ridicule them, and tell the United kids that it is really not cool to hang around after the game with a cardboard sign asking for Grosses shirt and an autograph.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here