Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Solly March

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Except when he does . His assist and cross for Glenn v Man Utd .
'Solly March - man of the match - was everywhere for Brighton - particularly in the first half - and provided a brilliant cross for Glenn Murray's opener"
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45159603

He did exactly the same thing yesterday, too (in exactly the same spot) - in the second half. Only this time Murray was caught on his heels, rather than attacking the near post, so Kepa collected the low cross.

SeafordBHA

Aug 13, 2011
Ridiculous comments in this thread. Of course he's not a world beater, he's a local lad playing for Brighton.

Admittedly there are frustrations, he doesn't take on his man often enough, a confidence issue that often Izquierdo and Knockaert struggle with too at time. Particularly this isn't March's strength anyway. No wonder he has confidence issues when he's knocked everyweek by these keyboard warriers.

Recently he's been on top form. 6 assists and he's contributed more than Knockaert, Izquierdo and AJ. Despite costing a huge amount less.

As for a 6/10 - he's caused issues for one of the best sides in the country, more so than any other player and scored our only goal. Not sure what else a winger is expected to do against one of the best midfielders and full backs in the world...

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Ha!. All the snark on here. Again little perspective. He's probably now a £15m-£20m winger who is more than likely to make an England squad in the future, and of English players, only Raheem Sterling has more assists in the premier league this season. And Albion bought him for nothing from Lewes FC. .

this quote from Glenn Murray a few days ago probably sums it up best.

“I’ve been a big advocate of Solly March ever since I rejoined the club. I’ve seen him do things on the training field that are frightening.
“I want to see him do it on a Saturday more often. He frustrates the hell out of me at times, but I’m always trying to bring the best out of him.
“I want him to show everyone what I see, because I know that if he does that, there could be a big future for him.
“The gaffer has shown quite a bit of faith in him this season, and he’s probably playing the most football he’s played since I’ve been at the club. We’re starting to see some of Solly’s best bits.”
via https://www.brightonandhovealbion.com/news/2018/december/murray-solly-has-so-much-to-offer/

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I do feel it has always been more of a mental thing with Solly and maybe that's why Murray was trying to boost him saying how good he is at training.

Surely the club should be working on the mental part of his game.

He is good, but I want him to be great because I think he can be, I don't want him going the Lua Lua route.

Funny that. Murray is the first to berate him on the pitch, even when Murray mucks up himself.

And whilst he clearly is a confidence player on some level, I think it's telling that he's also one of the ones who reacts least emotionally to what's going on around him on the pitch. That's a strength in my book.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Didn’t say crap that’s you but wish he would believe a bit more in his ability and have a go at getting past not just today but most of season . As said he has improved of late and that’s good but Murray thrives on balls whipped in behind defenders

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, do tend to agree with this. He has put in some fine crosses when on the right, usually from dead ball situations, but also really wish he would take a full back on rather more than seemingly not having the confidence. Accepted, he is up against very good often world-class defenders, but if he tried to get past, and found he could do, his confidence will improve no end. Getting behind the defence is key -then for people like Andone to run in for the cross.

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
Ridiculous comments in this thread. Of course he's not a world beater, he's a local lad playing for Brighton.

Admittedly there are frustrations, he doesn't take on his man often enough, a confidence issue that often Izquierdo and Knockaert struggle with too at time. Particularly this isn't March's strength anyway. No wonder he has confidence issues when he's knocked everyweek by these keyboard warriers.

Recently he's been on top form. 6 assists and he's contributed more than Knockaert, Izquierdo and AJ. Despite costing a huge amount less.

As for a 6/10 - he's caused issues for one of the best sides in the country, more so than any other player and scored our only goal. Not sure what else a winger is expected to do against one of the best midfielders and full backs in the world...

Christ, I hope he’s not daft enough to read any of the nonsense on here. But just in case he is:

Solly, you’re great, I love you, don’t listen to the knockers, they’re all idiots.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Christ, I hope he’s not daft enough to read any of the nonsense on here. But just in case he is:

Solly, you’re great, I love you, don’t listen to the knockers, they’re all idiots.

He doesn't have to read here to know what Brighton 'fans' think, all he has to do is misplace a pass and a fair few thousand people will instantly tell him he's a disappointment.

D

Deleted member 2719

Funny that. Murray is the first to berate him on the pitch, even when Murray mucks up himself.

And whilst he clearly is a confidence player on some level, I think it's telling that he's also one of the ones who reacts least emotionally to what's going on around him on the pitch. That's a strength in my book.

Yes, his goal celebration was quite muted.
Hughton was going absolutely berserk in comparison!!

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Blimey, this is a player that divides opinion! From the outside - I thought he had a good game, he's a decent player, playing in a tough old league. I've also seen people talking of him being near the England squad as well, that's just as bonkers IMO.

HH Brighton

Jul 25, 2003
Some of the morons in H block of the WSU are on his back as soon as he does something wrong and that goes for a few other players as well. Some booing at half time yesterday, ****ing embarrassing. These are middle aged men not kids, been told to shut up a few times. One guy in particular might be thickest person I've ever heard at football. Told us all he was a better supporter then us because he travels from Maidstone.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
If Solly could regularly go round Azpilicueta and boss Kante in midfield he wouldn't be playing for us.
FFS one full season in the prem and the amount of entitled numpties has soared.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If Solly could regularly go round Azpilicueta and boss Kante in midfield he wouldn't be playing for us.
FFS one full season in the prem and the amount of entitled numpties has soared.

I've spent the last 18 months wondering how I could rephrase my usual stock answer:-

'What do you expect from a second division footballer?'.

I think you might have nailed it, ta muchly.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I've spent the last 18 months wondering how I could rephrase my usual stock answer:-

'What do you expect from a second division footballer?'.

I think you might have nailed it, ta muchly.

Not being able to boss two of the best players in their respective positions IN THE WORLD, makes him a 'second division footballer'?

It is possible to be good enough for this level, without being amongst the very best at this level, no?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Not being able to boss two of the best players in their respective positions IN THE WORLD, makes him a 'second division footballer'?

It is possible to be good enough for this level, without being amongst the very best at this level, no?
Wow calm down sweetheart, I'm with you and have been all day.

I was bemoaning now being unable to write 'what do you expect from a Premier League footballer?'.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Wow calm down sweetheart, I'm with you and have been all day.

I was bemoaning now being unable to write 'what do you expect from a Premier League footballer?'.

'what do you expect from a lower-mid-table Premier League footballer'...?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Nah anything with 'Premier League footballer' doesn't quite go with 'what do you expect from'.

Bearing in mind this was my reply on threads such as these, where a player is expected to be a G.O.A.T, while playing away to Rotherham, not home to Chelsea.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Who is this 'lower-mid-table Premier League footballer you speak of? All of our players, like our manager, are Championship at best. The only reason we're not bottom is because there are also teams that are League One at best.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Real mixed bag from Solly today.

Anyone claiming he was terrible is miles wide of the mark, but nor was he great.

His defensive work was excellent - he won possession lots of times. Equally he gave it away loosely a few times too.

Crossing was mixed - two or three wasted corners, but also an exquisite one, that Balogun at the far post, headed behind everybody.

Scored a goal, had a good strike in the first saved, saved by Kepa, clever movement won the free kick that should have seen Alonso sent off (and then wasted it...)

Summary - MIXED.

6/10

This is the best summary so far. He defended well, got very little out of his very very good direct opponent, created one or two decent chances which weren't taken but also failed to beat the 1st man on several occasions. He is at this level at least as effective as Knocky who had a decent, what 15 mins? before fading out of the game and Izzy on has shown none of the form he had last season or Ali who has shown nothing as yet at all.

What Solly isn't is a number.10 , he doesn't have the vision for that, but he is a perfectly decent PL standard winger. Too many on here like the sound of their own voices and seek scapegoats like Barnes who was hounded out for not being Ronaldo. Get a grip, he's not world class, but he is not shit either...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here