Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Chess Club - BHANSC - a new beginning

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
This is a follow up to our chess thread, having become a much longer than expected topic, we though that some people may or may not be dipping into it. In a nutshell, we are reaching out for new members

Founded by NSC's BHA Pickles and myself, along with our lieutenant Mr Snuggles (aka Battleman), we now currently we have 9 of our founder members playing for Team England

http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?361556-NSC-Chess-Club&highlight=chess

We have become quite a force to be reckoned with not just in the world of football clubs, but as a formidable chess team in itself. We have a long list of scalps, such as Liverpool, Arsenal, Juventus, and World Club champions Qarabagh

That's not to say all of us are any good. Not even to say everyone knows all the rules. It doesn't matter. We host tournaments, play each other,chat, learn, meet opposition fans, talk football, chess, the odd bit of banter. #BattlemanOUT, we have a #fixtures thread

Anyway from what started out as a small challenge to see if anyone fancied a game, we now have for the first time a challenge against a team called "Seagull" in the World Council of Chess where they are pitching more players than we are.

Brighton And Hove Albion Northstand Chess now has just one prerequisite to join.
You must be a Brighton fan.

Now opening our doors to non NSC members. Age, ability, doesn't matter. Its family friendly. Perhaps you have a son or daughter who wants to learn, and play under our clubs name against the worlds biggest football teams? There is an app and group for kids too. There is no pressure, and, you WILL get game time. If it becomes too busy, heck we'll just get more challenges and handicap accordingly. Most of us play at our best games in team matches

Welcome to [MENTION=21056]Smirko[/MENTION] our newest first teamer, playing his opening match against the aptly name "Seagull" in the WCC. We will be in the Champions League this year too, which I should be helping out with admin

[MENTION=528]attila[/MENTION] is our press officer, though I think he is using it to promote his gigs and meet fans for a beer at away matches if the truth be told.

Any questions, just ask

Come join us

I am also going to use this opportunity (hope thats ok [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION]) to say that any NSC or BHANSC donations to sponsor my young cousin, on her excuse to get a free skydive, will be matched/partially matched by me, in donating braille chess boards for Blatchington Court in Hove, and the RNIB (New College) in Worcester. Both charities empowering the young and visually impaired in life and chess. Thank you Snuggles for getting the ball rolling. St Richards hospice is a charity very close to many peoples hearts up here, caring for terminally ill with dignity and comfort in their final days. In memory of my mom. If you are kind of enough to donate, please reference BHA/NSC in your comments so I know what to match. (My funds are limited, £80 should see both charities get a board)

https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/hannah-bushell

Take care
Matt

Last edited:

Pickles

May 5, 2014
Hey people,

It would be great if you could join us, everyone is so welcome, you so really are. Even Taybha has joined and we're having fun playing games, and trust me, he is gorgeous, but I digress.....

We try our best to 'run' the club as Bozza does on our very own NSC, without interference, and let things flow, although naturally there are mods ( of which a few mod on here ), primarily, for my part, to keep the pikey boys from infiltrating.........

As Matt has said, we really do play other supporter clubs globally, and we have a good record against these lot!

It really is fun, so come and join, and play chess, drink beer, and Up The Albion!!!! xxx SEAGULLS xxx

Pickles

May 5, 2014
Come and beat this lot of NSC Chess RABBLE!

Pickles

Questions

Peter Ward

Atilla

Giraffe

Sways

mune ni kamone

Alan Cundle

Leon Knight

Petee

Perseus

BH Albion

Gwylan

NEASTGULL

Kylegreen

Dorset Seagull

Dunk

Nobby

Mr Snuggles

DTES

Maffew

Fitzcarraldo

SK1NT

Dick Head

Guy Fawkes

Sussex Seahawk

loco61

Brighton Lines

Splatypus

btnbelle

Bozza

piersa

Is it PotG

Captain Vimes

Taybha

Smirko

Pickles

May 5, 2014
I've just signed up. Hendraxx is my username.

Great stuff!

It really is a great club. As I said previous, we do it on the mirror of NSC. Get involved, it's worth it, it really is x

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Use the longer link in post 2 of this page. Click join and leave a note stating who you are if your user is different from your NSC username.

Indeed.
By the way guys, the chess.com app is great for playing but you don't get all the access to the club stuff really. So sometimes a browser is preferred or even necessary
The link hendrax said is the best way in
Forum is
https://www.chess.com/clubs/forum/brighton-and-hove-albion-nsc
Come say hello, there is an NSC username thread, cheneral chit chat and the like. Some tournaments or matches might need you to have played a few daily games first.

A good start might be play a few live games, chess.com will pair you against similar rated players, well after you have played and won a lost a few. Or say you fancy a game, if you are totally new to the game or whatever and we'll get some games going.
There's a wealth of training on there too, right down to which pieces move where and which way the board goes

I should read it sometime

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Daily games on the right is where you will see games we are currently involved in and up coming team games. If anyone that is new wants to play a team under the Brighton name post on the forum and we will find a team to challenge at the correctish level. Give everyone a few days and a game or 2 under their belts first. I will find or set up a tournament to get into as well, for individuals to put their wits

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Hope you enjoyed your meetup the other night guys, sounds like it went great! I am gonna set up a blitz arena over the next few days for a bit of a laugh if there is interest. Come over to the blitz thread https://www.chess.com/clubs/forum/view/nsc-blitz-tournament?page=6&newCommentCount=1 which is here. Be good to get some of the new faces in and it's been a while. Let me know times and format preferred. I'll start with Sunday night registration at 8 3l0 format. Anyone that's new and wants a game ping us up over there. I can set us up a pre season team friendly if you want to get a team game too

Pickles

May 5, 2014
Hope you enjoyed your meetup the other night guys, sounds like it went great! I am gonna set up a blitz arena over the next few days for a bit of a laugh if there is interest. Come over to the blitz thread https://www.chess.com/clubs/forum/view/nsc-blitz-tournament?page=6&newCommentCount=1 which is here. Be good to get some of the new faces in and it's been a while. Let me know times and format preferred. I'll start with Sunday night registration at 8 3l0 format. Anyone that's new and wants a game ping us up over there. I can set us up a pre season team friendly if you want to get a team game too

A few of us chess guys had a meet on Tuesday, in The Duke of Wellington in Shoreham with 8 turning up, and not a curry in sight Hun x :)

Great fun, lovely people, beer and chess, and fags for us smokey types in the beer garden.

Loads of chatter about The Albion, laughter and pi$$ taking, and games of chess when you wanted it, and great beer on tap.....

Most of us had never met before, which is fantastic.

Beer and chess, with Albion fans?? I'm in!

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
A few of us chess guys had a meet on Tuesday, in The Duke of Wellington in Shoreham with 8 turning up, and not a curry in sight Hun x :)

Great fun, lovely people, beer and chess, and fags for us smokey types in the beer garden.

Loads of chatter about The Albion, laughter and pi$$ taking, and games of chess when you wanted it, and great beer on tap.....

Most of us had never met before, which is fantastic.

Beer and chess, with Albion fans?? I'm in!

It was great to talk to you mate albeit on the phone. If you couldn't hear me I was in the library if you recall. Trigger happy style

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
If you haven't already signed up, or haven't played/popped over for a while we have 5 boards available in our World Council of Chess fixture starting Tuesday. We are currently winning against 1983 NBA Champions Philadelphia 76ers, this match is a crucial fixture and will decide whether we progress in this new tournament. Whatever your rating you should get an evenly matched game.

With a population just shy of 8 million ,our opponents New South Wales are a decent side representing Team Australia. Us? Well we are BHANSC representing Sussex, England. And we're alright too!

Currently NSW have 21 players vs our 16 registered. Should we get to 21 the team will be locked to ensure everyone already subscribed is in for this, so the remaining boards are first come first served

NO TIMEOUTS PLEASE. IF YOU THINK THERE IS EVEN A REMOTE CHANCE YOU MAY NOT BE ABLE TO FULFIL YOUR GAME PLEASE DO NOT SIGN UP

If you aren't currently a member you wont be eligible for this match (if you have a chess.com history and haven't joined us yet you may be considered. Being a Seagulls/Albion fan (not Blackpool or West Brom) is our joining requirement, you can be a friend/lurker of NSC though you must show your loyalty points or season ticket, and attended one of Gillingham and Withdean, preferably both

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Thanks to the 2 entries today! 3 spaces left and we will lock the team. They do have some low rated players too so all boards will be competitive.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here