Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] **Royal Wedding Official Thread**

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
In the abstract I will agree with you, the idea of inherited power is indeed wrong and absurd and elitist; and if and when it applies to prime ministers or police inspectors or other people with proper power we will all be there on the barricades. But for this lot, the core of our royal family, I will give them a pass. They are born into privilege, sure, and some of them abuse it. But they are also born into service, their life is mapped for them from birth, and the service they provide to this country is to be admired in many cases. That is why they are still favoured by the majority of people in Britain.

Prince Charles has oft been called the world's greatest philanthropist, with much justification, and what he has done for this world by using, rather than abusing, his privilege, is indeed great. There is a very good article on him in Time Magazine from 2013 called The Forgotten Prince, and while I can't imagine you personally rushing to get a copy, it is a very interesting read.

Doing good is fine in my book but and he can continue doing so without being an undemocratically elected head of state and all the privelages he gained from the biological lottery.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Doing good is fine in my book but and he can continue doing so without being an undemocratically elected head of state and all the privelages he gained from the biological lottery.

No way in hell could he do what he does without that privilege. He levers so much money simply because he can get people in a room and round a table - he couldn't do that if he wasn't the Prince of Wales.

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
One of the biggest occasons of the year, am amazed there is not already a thread on this.

The wedding of the beautiful HRH Princess Eugenie to Jack Brooksbank who famously met and fell in love in a ski lodge in Switzerland, showing the Royal Family are a lot more similar to you or I than we could ever have imagined.

Many thousands upon thousands lining the streets of Windsor, many having camped overnight to wish the couple well and secure the best vantage points on what is sure to be a momentous day. This being on a workday when the majority will have taken paid holiday to wish the couple well shows how much the Royal Family mean to our nation and the feel good factor they bring to us all on days like today.

Live coverage on This Morning for those of you who can get to a TV presented by Eamonn Holmes and his wife with Rylan Clark providing a LGBT perspective on the days events.

:clap:

Brilliant return to form by Crodo there!

*Applauds*

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
No way in hell could he do what he does without that privilege. He levers so much money simply because he can get people in a room and round a table - he couldn't do that if he wasn't the Prince of Wales.

Reckon an elected HOS could though. Maybe even one more qualified with justified power.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
For me, the edge has been taken off the occasion with the absence of Camilla. Such an endearing, graceful presence, and always such a focal point for an adoring public. I understand she is visiting a girls school somewhere in scotchland. Such unwavering dedication to her ever-demanding role can only be admired of course, but she will be sorely missed from the extraordinary scenes playing out in our capital today.

When did Windsor replace London? I must have missed that in all the excitement...

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Reckon an elected HOS could though. Maybe even one more qualified with justified power.

Well, there are lots of elected Heads of State, and none of them do what he does to the level he does.

And then politics always gets involved, we've seen the issues the Clinton Foundation has got into when political influence is suspected in their actions.

The world is so partisan and corrupted these days, that I quite admire having good-meaning people who don't have to win votes or make shareholder profits, making a difference in the world.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
Well, there are lots of elected Heads of State, and none of them do what he does to the level he does.

And then politics always gets involved, we've seen the issues the Clinton Foundation has got into when political influence is suspected in their actions.

The world is so partisan and corrupted these days, that I quite admire having good-meaning people who don't have to win votes or make shareholder profits, making a difference in the world.

Are you aware of the lobbying and interference Charles has done.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Are you aware of the lobbying and interference Charles has done.

The famous one in my field of work is the £1 billion dollar deal between Norway and Indonesia to prevent destruction of forests and protect and restore tropical peatlands in Borneo and Sumatra (which are the largest store of terrestrial carbon and critical in the fight to prevent climate change). This deal was brokered by Prince Charles at a dinner he hosted for the Prime Minister of Norway and the President of Indonesia.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
The famous one in my field of work is the £1 billion dollar deal between Norway and Indonesia to prevent destruction of forests and protect and restore tropical peatlands in Borneo and Sumatra (which are the largest store of terrestrial carbon and critical in the fight to prevent climate change). This deal was brokered by Prince Charles at a dinner he hosted for the Prime Minister of Norway and the President of Indonesia.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp....ck-spider-memos-lobbying-ministers-tony-blair

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Described on 6Music this morning as:-

"9th in line to the throne, non-working Royal Princess Eugenie..."

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
i would like to say i really couldn't give a fudge.
it really doesn't matter to anyone beyond the couple and their immediate family and friends.

That doesn't seem to stop people wading in with their 'OUTRAGE'. Over on social media land, they're 'FUMMIN' :lol:

Mark Mywords

Jun 21, 2016
Bush, Reagan, Trump? We have enough problems with our elected governments let alone a president.

Why would you prefer an unelected self perpetuating elite, that can't be removed from power no matter how lazy and corrupt they are, to a leader that has had to grind through years of scrutiny and investigation, to have the privilege of being elected to power by the majority of voters, for a fixed term. Oh yes, they must go through it all again every 4 or 5 years just to ensure they are still wanted. The Royals have it far too easy.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
But still democratically elected.

I am no royalist but I think I'm with [MENTION=14365]Thunder Bolt[/MENTION] on this. I'd rather have a non-elected minor herditary royal who earns a small living and does a few good turns, than elected cockwasel like Trump with full presidential powers.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
So that makes everything they do right, and everything Prince Charles does wrong? I believe that at various times Hitler, Mugabe and Putin have been democratically elected too.......

This.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here