Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Transport to/from The Amex

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
On a number of occasions that I visited Villa Park,I parked at local schools, for a reasonable charge, which were stewarded by volunteers from the school's PTA. These were a reasonable walking distance from the ground. Are there any such schools near the Amex and could they be persuaded to earn some extra cash which they always seem to have need.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
On a number of occasions that I visited Villa Park,I parked at local schools, for a reasonable charge, which were stewarded by volunteers from the school's PTA. These were a reasonable walking distance from the ground. Are there any such schools near the Amex and could they be persuaded to earn some extra cash which they always seem to have need.

Isn't the Bridge car park exactly this? BACA's car park? Next nearest is Moulescombs school at end of Moulescomb way. Probably a little too far for most people to want to walk.

serendipity

Feb 14, 2012
I haven't been to the ground for a couple of years as I now live in Spain but am going on Monday.

Two questions:

1) Does the travel voucher cover travel from Lewes station?

2) Is it still as chaotic as ever (or worse) getting a train back to Lewes?

Thanks to anyone that can give any advice.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
I haven't been to the ground for a couple of years as I now live in Spain but am going on Monday.

Two questions:

1) Yes
2) Don't know, sorry.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

The next nearest school to the Amex (after BACA) is Coldean. My wife was a parent governor there and asked this very question. Apparently, the insurance costs that the school would have to pay would pretty much wipe out any revenue that was earned, so it was deemed a non-starter.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patreon
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Many thanks to all of you who have posted so far on this thread.

Over the weekend I'll be collating the ideas and putting them in an email to PB.

Some ideas mentioned on here, such as building tunnels, bigger platforms and new P&R sites won't happen, purely on a cost basis. Remember the club heavily subsidises the transport.

The idea here is to give the club small ideas and thoughts that together might make a difference (busses coming up the slip road on the A27 on the 'inside', multiple loading of P&R busses after games and proactive stewarding at both Bridge & uni car parks seem a common theme.)

As an aside PB did say a a recent NWSS meeting that the Sainsburys P&R, whilst excellent! was a non starter in Saturdays.

Any more ideas welcome.
Would a park and ride at say Lancing, be impossible on a Saturday?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The club say picking up and dropping off in Village Way isn't allowed but it still goes on. Sometimes cars are stopping at the exit to the coach park holding the whole thing up.
The situation in Village Way will be eased when the TV Lorry Park is finished. It goes without saying that the dropping off and picking up in cars should not be permitted within 1 hour before kick off and 1 hour after the game
I've been dropped off there just before kick off a few times over the years, I haven't noticed it causing a problem. Is it that I've been late and it's worse earlier on, or can I just not see where the congestion is?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I've been dropped off there just before kick off a few times over the years, I haven't noticed it causing a problem. Is it that I've been late and it's worse earlier on, or can I just not see where the congestion is?

It is not the dropping off that is a major problem as that is staggered over as much as a couple of hours. It is the picking up which causes problems as everybody leaves at the same time ish. It is not helped by the Seagulls Travel coaches all being parked up both sides of the road. This then stops the buses going up to and from the Uni at the top of the road.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
It is not the dropping off that is a major problem as that is staggered over as much as a couple of hours. It is the picking up which causes problems as everybody leaves at the same time ish. It is not helped by the Seagulls Travel coaches all being parked up both sides of the road. This then stops the buses going up to and from the Uni at the top of the road.

Brutal, but I'm beginning to think that the only way of stopping all this congestion in Village Way, is to close it to traffic, for say an hour after the match.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Cool, let's just concentrate on preventing pick-ups, rather than drop offs then :)

It doesn't happen often, just if the family are out in the car and we can't get a train in time. I wouldn't want to make things worse for others, but it's pretty clear near kickoff and no coaches moving.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Brutal, but I'm beginning to think that the only way of stopping all this congestion in Village Way, is to close it to traffic, for say an hour after the match.

That seems the answer until they have finished the TV Park and can move the Seagull Travel coaches back to the coach park These are the major cause of congestion.and make it impossible for the buses to stop.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
That seems the answer until they have finished the TV Park and can move the Seagull Travel coaches back to the coach park These are the major cause of congestion.and make it impossible for the buses to stop.

Sometimes even the 25's aren't allowed into Village Way for this reason. The sooner the work is over the easier it will be for everybody.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Two questions:

1. Yes

2. If the service is running ok, it’ll take a while (depending on when you leave your seat and leg it to the platform) but it’s generally not too bad. If Southern are having a bad day (quite common), it can be pretty crap or worse.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Sometimes even the 25's aren't allowed into Village Way for this reason. The sooner the work is over the easier it will be for everybody.

I contacted the club to ask about the 25 and was told it was nothing to do with them it was down to B & H Buses so I should ask them. This I did and the answer I got was "we didnt know they were not going down the road must be a decision made by BHAFC". So each blaming the other.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I don't care how bad the traffic is or how busy the trains are to be honest, I have stayed behind had another pint, I have walked home, I have waited in the rain for a bus, I have walked half way home and caught a bus, I have joined the massive Que to get on a packed train. I have caught a taxi half way home, I have used the park and rides, I have even used a park and ride, but not actually parked my car there.

Guess what it is the price of success and even now Falmer was still the best option that came with this foreseeable problem and I don't care because funnily enough it is not going to kill me.

Commander

NSC Patreon
Apr 28, 2004
London

Two questions:

1) Yes
2) Yes

Enjoy

Renegade

Nov 24, 2017
Car Park B (Bridge Car Park BN1 9PW) £15

Anyone booked this on Albion's website?How long on average does it take to get out?
Is it congested when going in?

Anyone got details on the other car parking where a road is turned into a car park and you get a bus to the stadium?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here