Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Favourite phrases about football

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
It is a brilliant phrase.

About cricket.

Also heard used in football to describe the area between the defender and the keeper for crosses here is a guide for the different areas!

27e879720826692f56b171ca498070d1.jpg

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Takes me back to playing football and never ever forget what was said by a rather trampy player who used to play centre half for us during a half time team talk. Also enhanced by the fact that he had a lisp he was referring to one of their players who was running the show, he barked " stick to him like a can of soup". WTF

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
It only takes a second to score a goal - Brian Clough

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Can't remember the precise words, but the sentiment has stuck with me. It was the journalist who said about the play-off second leg with Wednesday that the referee hadn't so much blown the whistle to kick off as fired a starting gun - in reference to how we begun the game.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
"Jigsaw" for a player who goes to pieces in the box.

"He's laid on more balls than Joan Collins"

Ally McCoist commentary "That (shot) was high, wide and not so very handsome"

The nickname "one size" for the player Fitz Hall, which he apparently hated.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Don't rub 'em, count 'em.

He's got the touch of a rapist.

He's got a head like a threepenny bit.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The big lad with the clumsy ball control - 'First touch' of the Yorkshire ripper

Although this thread mostly reminds me of some of the old man's finest expressions:

You'll get a clip round the ear 'ole
You'll get a thick ear
You'll get a clip along side
Don't come the old acid

and his coup de grass

You don't know poop from clay!

Ah, the 1970s...

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
The big lad with the clumsy ball control - 'First touch' of the Yorkshire ripper

Although this thread mostly reminds me of some of the old man's finest expressions:

You'll get a clip round the ear 'ole
You'll get a thick ear
You'll get a clip along side
Don't come the old acid

and his coup de grass

You don't know poop from clay!

Ah, the 1970s...

Your mispelling of coup de grace, helped bring to my mind the image of you trying to fashion an ashtray from a turd you found on the lawn.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Your mispelling of coup de grace, helped bring to my mind the image of you trying to fashion an ashtray from a turd you found on the lawn.

Did I do that? It is more than possible.

However, I may have posted a story about getting hauled before a disciplinary panel for sending an email to somone that concluded 'you can't polish a turd'. I got off, and sadly not because you can, in fact, polish a turd. But you have to freeze the little fella first. Perhaps its this you're recalling? :thumbsup::lolol::rave:

EDIT, oh, poop de grass... geddit now. Anyway, moving on....

Last edited:

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
This isn't quite the on the same lines but I think it needs to be recorded for the purposes of history. This was many years ago and I remember it for word for word. Peter Withe was the 'expert' summariser and he came out with this masterpiece:

"Sometimes the inevitable does happen and when it does it comes as a shock to everyone."

Even now I can have sleepless nights trying to grasp the full profundity of this as it transcends mere football.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
"I have never commented about the performance of a referee after a match, and I am not going to change the habit of a lifetime for that prat".

Big Ron Atkinson.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
"They're the better side on paper, but it's not played on paper it's played on grass".

Years ago I remember a non-league (or lower league) manager being interviewed about a Cup tie with a first division team. He said (after coming out with something like the cliche above): "They're men the same as us, we've all got two arms and two heads."

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
'He couldn't trap a bag of cement' - Brian Clough (on buying Gary Megson and then having second thoughts) :)

If we are going back to the Greats of Management then there's the all-time legendary Bill Shankly one:

"Football is not a matter a life and death - in fact it doesn't matter very much at all." (I think I've got it right?)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here