Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stephens...poor show tonight!

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
You're right. If all of our players continually live up to what some people expect (no mistakes ever, 100% pass accuracy, get forward to attack constantly but never concede a goal, batter ALL opponents regardless of standard etc etc), we'll soon be European Champions.

That's the thing players will make mistakes during the game, but there's a big difference between making a few mistakes and playing poor and personally I don't think any of our players had a bad game last night. Last night was the first time we've won an evening game at home for nearly 15 months and the first time we've beaten Leeds at the Amex and still people have to moan.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
That's the thing players will make mistakes during the game, but there's a big difference between making a few mistakes and playing poor and personally I don't think any of our players had a bad game last night. Last night was the first time we've won an evening game at home for nearly 15 months and the first time we've beaten Leeds at the Amex and still people have to moan.

Some players had excellent games. Some were good. A couple were okay but not as good as we know they can be. But the point is, the TEAM won. And that's all that matters. I'm sure that's how the players see it. In my opinion, the weakest aspect of our club for the past couple of years has been the "12th man" - too many, too ready to criticise at the slightest setback and only really encouraging towards the players when they're already on top.

Some people need a reality check. I can't think of a single player in our squad who is "bad" by the standards of the last 30 years.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Some people need a reality check. I can't think of a single player in our squad who is "bad" by the standards of the last 30 years.
Are you actually comparing a team that has been compiled with top flight football in mind.
With numerous teams scratching around the bottom 2 divisions and funded accordingly?

That's quite a leap.

amexee

Jun 19, 2011
haywards heath
I think Stephens could do with a caffeine hit. Very slow off the mark. Several times when play stopped. for throw ins and corners he just walked off and did not seem to notice when play restarted. If I thought he would have heard me, I would have been yelling at him to face the ball.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
ahh thanks but you still feel the need to express your opinion of mine and that gives me a lovely warm feeling:blush:

No problem, it's so obvious that you need help:

accident.jpg

Try not to worry, these work for my Dad:
tena_pants_plus.jpg

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
Stephens harried ,carried , ran box to box ,and a pass success rate of maybe 65%,would like to see more of a goal threat.So IMO not bad.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Stephens harried ,carried , ran box to box ,and a pass success rate of maybe 65%,would like to see more of a goal threat.So IMO not bad.

This. Covers plenty of ground, gets tackles in, takes a decent corner. I like him and am certain he'll prove a good buy.

I'm really surprised by some of the negative comments. I can only think that they just had preconceptions about how good a player / what type of player he was, and he doesn't for whatever reason fit them.

Going purely by what I've seen with my own eyes, he'll do just fine.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Christ you have too much time on your hands, I would have appreciated it if it was remotely amusing!

5 minutes fella.

Laughing about you not with you.....

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
He reminds me of Gary Dicker, speed of thought not quick enough, but he does look like a footballer and hopefully he will get up to speed after a few games.

Exactly my thoughts. Give him time and he could pick a pass, which he did, under pressure he got caught in possession. pretty much a carbon copy of Dicker, if not a slight upgrade.

Keeping The Dream Alive.

Naming Rights
May 28, 2008
WSU
As others have said I think he'll do well, I think he is a yard or two slow mentally at the moment but that should improve eventually.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Good solid game. I am sure he will improve.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Were we watching the same game? The pass from the short corner back to Greer in our own half was disgraceful?!

Hmm, two Leeds defenders who I felt were encroaching, slightly overhit pass to him, took the safe option rather than attempt a cross which could have been charged down and resulted in a dangerous counter attack IMO

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex

He made 58 passes last night. Only Gordon Greer made more (59).

His success rate was 76 per cent. Interestingly, Leo Ullo had the highest pass success rate at 83 per cent.

Bognor Bystander

Looking for a new job
Oct 7, 2010
Bognor Regis
Stephens contribution to an overall solid (and let's not forget winning) team performance was ... solid not poor (in my opinion) and it's how we perform collectively that counts ! :)

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
On the plus side, this thread has provided Alan Pardew with a working title for his autobiography: "Ramblings Of A Bellend"

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
no sorry if you watched the same game as me he was poor - no one could describe his performance as great as the previous poster did. Granted not as bad a Harley, but not a great game. I am not slating the bloke he just didn't play well as Spanish Rodney who had a poor game but played well on saturday - he just had a poor game and that is a fact. Did you think Dale was "great" tonight?

I did watch the same game as you
He wasn't poor in my opinion
He wasn't great in my opinion

It's not a fact that he was poor, it's your opinion, which you are entitled to.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here