Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Jimmy Armfield RIP

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
RIP Jimmy, a marvellous summariser and commentator, one of the great voices of radio. Legend is not too strong a word for Jimmy.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I echo all of the sentiments expressed so far. A man who knew his football, equally at home talking about the good old days or the latest big Premier League match.

For me he's right up there with Jimmy Hill, Brian Moore and Peter Jones as one of THE voices of British football.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
He was absolutely superb on the radio. A man who knew the game, who was humble, who gave informed, considered opinions and was always careful not to sound like an entitled know-it-all.

An anti-Alan Green, if you will.

RIP Armfield, a true gent of the game.

Howard Wilkinson getting upset in a press conference with the reporters:
"How many England Caps do you lot have then"

Daily Mail reporter (Jimmy Armfield) sitting quietly at the back:
"43 actually Howard"

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
The 5th member of the 1966 WC squad to leave us

Never saw him play but he was a decent pundit on the radio.

RIP

EDIT: 6th member, I hadn't realised that John Connelly had died

Bit like me,did he take Leeds to the 75 E/Cup final ?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Just been listening to the tributes on 5Live on the drive home from work, some incredibly moving comments from so many in broadcasting and from ordinary people who chanced upon meeting him unexpectedly but were all enthralled by being with him. He had a very good innings and to be loved by so many must be his greatest achievement . RIP Sir Jimmy.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Been listening to the Radio 5 tribute to him. It's still on now btw, but is well worth waiting and listening back on iPlayer.

Lovely tribute and like a football history lesson too. RIP to one of English football's greatest.

the captain

May 21, 2013
A true gent ,a brilliant player .He is my right back in my England dream team even though I never got to see him as he was captain & voted best right back in the world in 1962 .I loved him mainly however because his respectful and insightful analysis.everything that the likes of Robbie Savage,Steve Sutton et al lack

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Been listening to the Radio 5 tribute to him. It's still on now btw, but is well worth waiting and listening back on iPlayer.

Lovely tribute and like a football history lesson too. RIP to one of English football's greatest.

Being replayed now on BBCR5L 2200-2230

Edit: Jimmy Armfields life story being aired now.

Last edited:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Being replayed now on BBCR5L 2200-2230

No, this is the interview with him about his life story.

The tribute they played earlier was between 7-8pm.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here