Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Izquierdo honesty…

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I think it’s pretty cool of him to be open in the Argus about bad decision making and will learn from it. Not all players admit to needing to adjust their game.

http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/alb...ill_learn_after_taking_costly__wrong_option_/

The difference between good and bad results is down to how well the players play as a team, not as individuals.

Should players consider an assist to be better than the goal?

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I think it’s pretty cool of him to be open in the Argus about bad decision making and will learn from it. Not all players admit to needing to adjust their game.

Agree totally. He seems to want to learn.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
I’m not sure about being better than a goal - just as important. Groß unfortunately on occasions goes the other way and looks too much for the assist instead of having a go at goal.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I really like José, any player that can get the fans on their feet when he receives the ball in a good area is something very few Albion players have managed. He is a very exciting player and it’s great that he is happy to admit he got it wrong. He will get better and better. Great signing.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
I really like José, any player that can get the fans on their feet when he receives the ball in a good area is something very few Albion players have managed. He is a very exciting player and it’s great that he is happy to admit he got it wrong. He will get better and better. Great signing.

This. If he is in within ten yards of the goal area with the ball at his feet, i'm on my feet, anything could happen. Love him to bits.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
From the interview in the Sunday Times a few weeks back and the one in the programme on Saturday, he really comes across as a very likeable, modest and honest guy. He's still learning in this league and admits that. Like him a lot.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Murray did the same in the first half, one on one with the keeper, messed it up when he could have slipped it sideways to the better placed Locadia to his right.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
I like the bloke - and the several bits of magic he's produced so far have been unforgettable. Not many Albion players
have done that in the past.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Murray did the same in the first half, one on one with the keeper, messed it up when he could have slipped it sideways to the better placed Locadia to his right.

tbf I think he had a right to take that one. Locadia was only slightly better placed and Murray would normally finish from there. It wasn't as glaring a missed opportunity to pass.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Understand the issue about assists but the more he takes players on the better and more dangerous he becomes forcing defenders into mistake s.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I like the guy, but let's not get carried away. How many times do you see a shot that should have been a pass with a furious, better placed player arms out in frustration. He knew what was on, in the same way AK usually knows what's on, but chose to shoot anyway.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I’m not sure about being better than a goal - just as important. Groß unfortunately on occasions goes the other way and looks too much for the assist instead of having a go at goal.

I'm happy with Gross's game and his judgement in the moments. The cries of "shoot" when it's not on, are either said ironically or are unrealistic.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
I'm happy with Gross's game and his judgement in the moments. The cries of "shoot" when it's not on, are either said ironically or are unrealistic.

He has turned down shots from about 8 yards looking for others (in worse positions than him). It is being ultra picky obvious but he certainly could have had a few more goals this year without being ‘selfish’

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
An assist should be deemed at least as good as a goal - no assist=no goal ... unless it's a completely solo effort. In fact, the pre-assist is important too.
He's an honest chap. The Albion have missed a number of goal-scoring opps this season where the striker could have made the final assist rather than mucking up their own, 'tunnel-visioned' attempt. But let us just imagine... you are heading into the penalty area, have already beaten one defender, your adrenaline is flying round your system, the crowd noise is pounding in your ears, you have one eye on the movement of the next defender in front, another swivel eye on the other defenders closing in from the sides, another eye on which corner of the goal is opening up, another eye on the position of that orange jersey chappy between the posts, and another eye vaguely feeling where your mates in blue and white stripes are/ and where they are moving too/ oh, and whether they are onside still... and your brain and emotions have to work like lightning on auto pilot... flipping heck, trying to make what turns out to be the right choice!!!! ... I've got a headache from just thinking about it.
Any winger who somehow has the natural or developed skill to make the right choice 50% of the time, is a flipping genius and worth a fortune in the Premier League. Maybe Salah has it this year? Anyone else?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here