Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] ESU and WSU open for Coventry game

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
From the club's pov, there are a still a thousand tickets to sell in the lower tiers. They are not going to risk the expense of opening the upper tiers until most of these are gone. I, too, find it a little odd that people are so concerned about not being able to sit in their usual seat. I actually like trying out other parts of the ground.

I used to think like that. Tried out both ESL and WSL for various friendlies and beambacks. I found that on each occasion I was totally unable to buy a beer due to wretchedly long slow queues at the kiosks. Things might have improved recently, but in my experience although the seats are good, the catering facilities are thoroughly shit. Should add that anybody trying out the North Stand for the first time for the Coventry game are in for a rare treat in that respect. More catering outlets per punter than you can shake a stick at.

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
Does anyone have experience of sitting in either the East or West corners next to the away fans? I am thinking of taking my two kids aged 4 and 6 but probably won't be a good idea if theres lots of abuse coming our way.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
I used to think like that. Tried out both ESL and WSL for various friendlies and beambacks. I found that on each occasion I was totally unable to buy a beer due to wretchedly long slow queues at the kiosks. Things might have improved recently, but in my experience although the seats are good, the catering facilities are thoroughly shit. Should add that anybody trying out the North Stand for the first time for the Coventry game are in for a rare treat in that respect. More catering outlets per punter than you can shake a stick at.

I arrived on Saturday at 2.15pm in the WSU and bought a couple of pies/pints . I queued for 2 minutes. I later bought a pint in one of the several kiosks. I queued for 30 seconds.
The catering facilities really aren't "thoroughly shit" outside of the North Stand (its the same provider after all) and the queues , at least pre match , in the WSU at least have improved over the last few seasons, despite the increase in crowds.

Does anyone have experience of sitting in either the East or West corners next to the away fans? I am thinking of taking my two kids aged 4 and 6 but probably won't be a good idea if theres lots of abuse coming our way.

Personally I like being near the opposing fans, but for exactly the reasons you want to avoid.

If you're taking kids that age then I'd personally wait and see if/when the shelf is released. If it is and you get in early you might bag first row which will give you one of the best views in the stadium, on the same level as the 1901 bods and with the noise from the north close to hand.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
There will be a lot of abuse. Read the thread about Forest Green on the Coventry sky talk board.

An upper tier stand will open soon.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003

SW had a fair few idiots (goading away fans) on Saturday.

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
There will be a lot of abuse. Read the thread about Forest Green on the Coventry sky talk board.

An upper tier stand will open soon.

Thanks, lets hope they do open this upper tier then as we are waiting to purchase 5 tickets and I am sure that there are many others particularly with kids that won't fancy the corners.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I arrived on Saturday at 2.15pm in the WSU and bought a couple of pies/pints . I queued for 2 minutes. I later bought a pint in one of the several kiosks. I queued for 30 seconds.
The catering facilities really aren't "thoroughly shit" outside of the North Stand (its the same provider after all) and the queues , at least pre match , in the WSU at least have improved over the last few seasons, despite the increase in crowds.

In your pavlovian rush to defend all things club, you failed to read my post. I was talking about the lower tiers, not the WSU. I also added the caviat 'in my experience' and conceded that 'things might have improved recently'. Jeez! :rolleyes:

kevo

Mar 8, 2008

I'm normally in ESU and the queues (esp at half-time) are awful. However it should be much better if it's only half full for this match.

Perry's Tracksuit Bottoms

King of Sussex
Oct 3, 2003
Lost
It seems a very odd decision not to have opened up a more family friendly part of the ground at the point when more casual fans might have been logging in to see what tickets were available. I wonder how many non-members with kids have already been put off by the apparent lack of availability? If I wasn't following this thread I might have given up on the idea of going already.

worthingseagull

Sep 28, 2011
FFS, just waited in the 'queue it thingy' for 20 mins and finally got through thinking 'this is finally it', I had balloons and party poppers all ready to go but ............ upper still not open

Think I might go and support somebody else :lolol:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
No family friendly seats available.

Only singles and seats next to the away fans.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
I wonder how many people will look at the current ticket availability and not fancy sitting in a corner (given it's only odd single seats everywhere else) think "oh, that's a shame I fancied going to that", will make other plans and be completely unaware that an upper tier subsequently opened.
Absolutely this. The target audience from this point in are, apart from a few Bravehearts, mostly non-STH and definitely non-NSC... the club appear to be doing everything they possibly can to discourage these people from buying tickets.

Do you think they have an evidence based strategy? Or is it the cock-up that we all think it to be?

I assume they talk among themselves about "700 seats remaining", + the option to squeeze more from the segregation areas and The Shelf, and that they are planning on not opening an upper tier.

If they end up opening an upper tier late in the day then that will confirm someone's (Barber's?) error. Which is why it might not happen when it really should,

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Absolutely this. The target audience from this point in are, apart from a few Bravehearts, mostly non-STH and definitely non-NSC... the club appear to be doing everything they possibly can to discourage these people from buying tickets.

Do you think they have an evidence based strategy? Or is it the cock-up that we all think it to be?

I assume they talk among themselves about "700 seats remaining", + the option to squeeze more from the segregation areas and The Shelf, and that they are planning on not opening an upper tier.

If they end up opening an upper tier late in the day then that will confirm someone's (Barber's?) error. Which is why it might not happen when it really should,

Maybe they're just happy with a crowd of 22.5k............the extra revenue opening the upper tiers (after costs) is probably insignificant. Real shame though, wonder how close this would come to selling out if the whole ground was open. Massive difference than the last round given not on TV, not a stupid time and with a full away allocation being sold (and could have been increased too increasing the chances of a capacity crowd)

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here