Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Poor Refereeing cost us £11.5 million last season

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
...and we should have finished 9th according to the Luck Index

Liverpool unluckiest Premier League team & Manchester United luckiest, says study http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45087444

Just trying to think what the incidents were? [emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Just read that. Astonishing if true or even partly true. How on earth would one decide whether a contentious decision was correct or not? You only have to see the arguments here about var for instance.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Defeat at Old Trafford when Bong was kicked in the nuts by Lukaku so the free kick they scored from, shouldn't have been given.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Having watched United a few times last season I was shocked they finished second, now I know why.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
This is a part of football that I miss or will with technology like var Whether it's right or wrong, but things like did the ball cross the line, was that offside. Moaning about the lino. Mike Dean and the like are part of the experience for me. It's not my 11.5 million though is it. Times change

Hugo Rune

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I’m surprised Burnley only gained 4 points by good luck last season. I remember ourselves and Newcastle missing decisive penalties against them, I’m sure they must have had more luck along the way.

One also assume that Stoke escaping relegation in the model is down to a match winning penalty that should have been given after Lewis Dunk cleared out Charlie Adam in the box?

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I bet Stoke fans are choking on their cornflakes this morning :lol:

But really, what a load of 'tripe'. Football gets its excitement from 'human mistakes'.

Variance is with us from the moment we are born until the moment we die.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Against us, Stoke City should have had a second penalty although the first one was in doubt.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
This is a part of football that I miss or will with technology like var Whether it's right or wrong, but things like did the ball cross the line, was that offside. Moaning about the lino. Mike Dean and the like are part of the experience for me. It's not my 11.5 million though is it. Times change

Technology like VAR will remove the utterly shite decisions, and clearly wrong line decisions, but surely you've seen enough of it to realise that arguments and contention will remain in football. Rest assured, we'll still be swearing at refs no matter what level of technology comes in.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

It gave the North stand an opportunity to celebrate our goal against United, twice. We saw it cross the line, and then goal line technology proved it, by putting it on the big screen.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Deflected goals cost us several points last season - that is not contentious.

Can think of Spurs away (although they scored again), United away, Dunks 4 OGs at least for deflections
Plus
Schelotto not getting a pen against Chelsea when we were still very much in the game
Bong getting kicked by Lukaku, should have been a free kick our way, not theirs and Lukaku sent off
Murray no pen v Stoke

May work completely the other way this season though - all part of the game's rich tapestry

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I bet Stoke fans are choking on their cornflakes this morning :lol:

But really, what a load of 'tripe'. Football gets its excitement from 'human mistakes'.

Variance is with us from the moment we are born until the moment we die.

Absolutely - I also suspect that football fans' memories are somewhat better at recalling the things that went against us rather than those in our favour. Reading some of this, I'm considering writing to the authorities to demand Brighton's deserved instatement in the champions league places. :)

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Lukaku karate kick
Murray pen home to stoke not given
Burnley centre back not sent off home game

6 points there

Read this a few times and struggling to see where you got 6 points from?!

el punal

Lukaku karate kick
Murray pen home to stoke not given
Burnley centre back not sent off home game

6 points there

Fair enough, but really any decision good or bad evens out over the season. I’m sure that we got some lucky breaks that gave us an advantage. A couple of examples, Dunk’s last ditch tackle on Charlie Adam after the Stoke penalty was a foul and Duffy wiping out Lingard in the penalty area when we beat Man Utd 1-0. Yes, when decisions go against us it’s infuriating but you won’t hear me complaining if it were the other way round.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here