Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Tonight's CUP Replays

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Its physically not possible to dive without moving forward or behind the line and for obvious reasons you wont be diving behind the line.
Of course it is are you bonkers? You can move side to side, your feet are supposed to be on the line from which you can dive any direction you wish. I coach goalkeeping and frankly you’re wrong

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
The media seems to have a widespread misunderstanding of VAR, which is pretty poor since it's their job to understand these kind of things.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
Of course it is are you bonkers? You can move side to side, your feet are supposed to be on the line from which you can dive any direction you wish. I coach goalkeeping and frankly you’re wrong

OK record a video of you diving without moving a step forward on a goal line and we can all have a good laugh. The fact that you coach goalkeeping and are completely ignorant to this frankly scares me

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
6 different people have asked are Pedro and Morata banned for saturday's games , i'm not sure either but i can say Morata is now a non starter in my dream team so it would suggest that yes they are both banned .

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42630626

That Willian one is a stonewall pen, I dunno how anyone can argue otherwise. The defender makes a desperate lunge and gets absolutely nowhere NEAR the ball, but makes clear contact with the player. If that had been (say) Gross on the end of that challenge this weekend, and we hadn't been awarded it, then this place would've gone absolutely BOOLOO. I realise its Chelsea and nobody likes them, and Naarch were the underdogs. But look at it subjectively at least.

The Morata one would've been a soft one, no question there. But you have to ask why a defender thinks he has the right to raise his arms and put them round a players shoulders who is going around him. Morata went down easy so it was probably the right decision, but its one of those where the defender is on the absolute limits of what is legal. Its a contact sport, but I've not seen anything that makes it within the rules to grab your opponents shoulders when he's done you.

Anyway. VARS. What a minefield eh ?

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
What a splendid night of cup football. Smug Eddie gets a walloping by a league 1 team, and our next opponents have two probable starters red carded. :thumbsup:

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42630626

That Willian one is a stonewall pen, I dunno how anyone can argue otherwise. The defender makes a desperate lunge and gets absolutely nowhere NEAR the ball, but makes clear contact with the player. If that had been (say) Gross on the end of that challenge this weekend, and we hadn't been awarded it, then this place would've gone absolutely BOOLOO. I realise its Chelsea and nobody likes them, and Naarch were the underdogs. But look at it subjectively at least.

The Morata one would've been a soft one, no question there. But you have to ask why a defender thinks he has the right to raise his arms and put them round a players shoulders who is going around him. Morata went down easy so it was probably the right decision, but its one of those where the defender is on the absolute limits of what is legal. Its a contact sport, but I've not seen anything that makes it within the rules to grab your opponents shoulders when he's done you.

Anyway. VARS. What a minefield eh ?

Players have been allowed to perfect the art of subtly bringing themselves down, whilst giving the impression that the defender/goalkeeper has brought them down. Its all done at high speed and to the naked eye is nigh on impossible to differentiate between. We have all been conned into believing that any contact is deserving of a penalty. It has become an art form, a skill worked on and perfected. These highly paid professionals are good at what they do and for a long time have got away with it unchallenged. A free licence to do what they like in the penalty area.
After years of exposure to this institutionalised cheating, it is so ingrained in players/ex players/managers and many fans, that now, many cannot tell the difference. The dragging of a leg against an opponent to initiate contact and followed by the subsequent fall is deemed perfectly acceptable by many.
These posts show the division out there. Some are saying stonewall pen, others declaring no pen at all. Nobody really knows. The edges have been deliberately blurred and debate rages. If VAR serves one purpose and one purpose only and gradually gets players to realise that they owe the game, themselves and the fans, the dignity of employing proper footballing skill to create goal scoring opportunities, rather than take the easier, softer option of clever gamesmanship, then it will all be worthwhile. It will take time to change the mindset of more than one generation but we now have a chance to get back the game that we all love and hopefully watch players show more skill in trying to score goals.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
What a splendid night of cup football. Smug Eddie gets a walloping by a league 1 team, and our next opponents have two probable starters red carded. :thumbsup:

I am sure Smug Eddie will lose no sleep in being dumped out of the Cup. Likewise CH would have been more than happy to have no Cup distraction. As for Saturday, anyone who was at West Brom will know that a repeat of that level of performance and Conte could field his youth team against us and win.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I think the Willian one should have been a pen, but my main comment on the ref would be to say well done for giving a yellow (and so in this case a red) to Morata for mouthing off after a decision went against him - if that precedent were to be followed, it could end up putting a stop to a lot of the whinging and complaining from players when a decision is made.

Should be the same treatment for players who wave imaginary cards too to try and get an opposition player booked/sent off.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Morata went down easy so it was probably the right decision,

I completely agree with [MENTION=17103]Mo Gosfield[/MENTION] in his response to your post. Morata didn't just go down "easily", he clearly threw himself to the ground, ie the contact that came from the defender was completely insufficient, in its own right, to cause Morata to fall to the ground. If that isn't the definition of simulation, I don't know what is.

Football isn't basketball; contact shouldn't automatically mean a foul. I applaud Graham Scott for his performance last night and hope that it sets the tone for a much less lenient approach to diving and simulation throughout the game.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
TV pundit 'Well within his rights to go down'

WTF does that mean? :ffsparr:

This is creeping in a lot now. Michael Owen was saying it the other day. RIP football as we knew it - it’s now pathetic that TV pundits make comments like this. Basically ‘he’s allowed to cheat there’.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
This is creeping in a lot now. Michael Owen was saying it the other day. RIP football as we knew it - it’s now pathetic that TV pundits make comments like this. Basically ‘he’s allowed to cheat there’.

Yes. People get a telly gig based on football playing profile. Owen is not even charismatic, with his nasal whine. But the journalists should be sufficiently well versed in the rules to not allow these monumentally air brained morons to spout their bar room bollocks, uncontested. I can get all that at home!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I completely agree with [MENTION=17103]Mo Gosfield[/MENTION] in his response to your post. Morata didn't just go down "easily", he clearly threw himself to the ground, ie the contact that came from the defender was completely insufficient, in its own right, to cause Morata to fall to the ground. If that isn't the definition of simulation, I don't know what is.

Football isn't basketball; contact shouldn't automatically mean a foul. I applaud Graham Scott for his performance last night and hope that it sets the tone for a much less lenient approach to diving and simulation throughout the game.

I'm not disagreeing with you, it was the right decision.

But the way defenders can get away with wrestling in the box (particularly at corners) is also a bugbear of mine. In that Morata incident, the defender has been turned, he's been done and Morata is away. So with both arms, he's grabbed Morata round the shoulders in an attempt to impede him, to haul him back. Morata's legs then crumple as he goes down to try to win the foul.

Essentially, they're both cheats. But it was far too soft to award the pen, and the defender played on that fact to get away with whatever he could. I've seen those given plenty of times though, and lets not pretend we wouldn't be howling for a pen in that moment had that been Solly.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here