Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Crowd for Middlesbrough

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
One of our lowest crowds of the season imo.

Last weekend for Xmas shopping.
Many casual supporters won't have the cash due to Xmas etc.
Game is on TV at home and in the pubs.
Crap kick-off time.
Hangovers from work do's tonight might stop a few making the trip tomorrow morning.

ropey9

Feb 25, 2009
noun
(informal) a football match between two teams in similar positions in the league table, considered as being worth six points as it not only gains the winning team three points but denies three points to the losing team

A good working example would be the Derby game if it hadn't finished as a draw

Before the game

Brighton on 41 points
Derby on 37 points

Derby win they are on 40 points 1 point behind
Brighton win they are on 44 points 7 points ahead

Its the swing between winning and losing when teams are close in table where the term "six pointer" is relevant

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Had it been a week later, a holiday, after Christmas, top two, and not on telly, there is a chance it might have actually sold out, certainly 28,000 minimum.

Maybe but I honestly doubt it. It remains simply too expensive to buy non-season ticket tickets.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Maybe but I honestly doubt it. It remains simply too expensive to buy non-season ticket tickets.

Generally I agree, which is why I tend to use season tickets going spare and pay £20 or whatever. However, top of the league clash, festive season, not much else going on around Jan 1st or 2nd = BUMPER crowd. And this has always been the case. Crowds are always large on Boxing/NY Days.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Would have been a bumper crowd if not on Sky...But assume club makes more with crowd of 24,000 and Sky money than 27,000 without Sky.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Would have been a bumper crowd if not on Sky...But assume club makes more with crowd of 24,000 and Sky money than 27,000 without Sky.

I don't think they do, to be honest. Think it's about £70k received from sky isn't it? Say the average match-by-match ticket is £25, that's £75,000 less, plus there will be a hell of a lot less beer sold I should think, though perhaps more food (if they've actually got it in).

The fact is they can't really say no.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Judging by the seats sold in Lower East, I think it might exceed 25K.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
The reasons you have given will sadly mean that the crowd is not as good as it could be - or should be. I am trying to sneak out; my Mrs has a meltdown if I go to a sky match. To be fair, she does have a point; we pay for sky and then double if I go to the game. As yet she does not know it is being televised and all relatives/football-friendly neighbours have been sworn to silence, so don't split on me!

I was waiting for the sarcastic comment but you are being deadly serious.

Sorry state of affairs that mate. Sorry to say but man up comes to mind

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
I don't think they do, to be honest. Think it's about £70k received from sky isn't it? Say the average match-by-match ticket is £25, that's £75,000 less, plus there will be a hell of a lot less beer sold I should think, though perhaps more food (if they've actually got it in).

The fact is they can't really say no.

I believe it's in the region of 100k for the home side and 10k for the.away side.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
I was waiting for the sarcastic comment but you are being deadly serious.

Sorry state of affairs that mate. Sorry to say but man up comes to mind

You do have a point, I accept, but then again -you haven't met my Mrs -woman scorned and all that .

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
What is wrong with the men of Sussex? Surely the Christmas shopping comment is nonsense. Have you guys heard of the internet? Or the fact that Christmas is on December 25th every single year. Or the fact that only women like shopping for hours and hours. If you must insist on shopping the last Saturday before Christmas surely the kick off enables an hour before or after anyway?!

Man up people and get to the game. Seasons like this don't happen very often, enjoy every minute possible.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The reasons you have given will sadly mean that the crowd is not as good as it could be - or should be. I am trying to sneak out; my Mrs has a meltdown if I go to a sky match. To be fair, she does have a point; we pay for sky and then double if I go to the game. As yet she does not know it is being televised and all relatives/football-friendly neighbours have been sworn to silence, so don't split on me!

Good LORD that's a bit drippy. :lolol:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Quick look on the ticket site shows only about 2500 left in available blocks (with several blocks very close to completely sold out).........with Boro having 2000+ sold, announced attendance will be high but with lots of STH not present perhaps.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
I reckon that the half season tickets not kicking in will also impact it. Many will have bought them outright and therefore not have money for football until then or know that their football fix is coming before too long.

It won't be packed but hopefully it won't be as empty as the KC looked for the Hull v Reading game the other day

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
I reckon that the half season tickets not kicking in will also impact it. Many will have bought them outright and therefore not have money for football until then or know that their football fix is coming before too long.

It won't be packed but hopefully it won't be as empty as the KC looked for the Hull v Reading game the other day

Not sure about lots buying them outright. I'm sure buying them on direct debit guarantees your season ticket for next season where outright just gives you a chance to buy for next season in a priority period

Jan 30, 2008
:whistle:
I can't remember the last time when we were involved in a six pointer, against the pre season favourites with us both sitting at the top of the tree.

Had this not been on the telly, not been 6 days before Christmas then this would surely have been a sellout.

I've not had a count up (yet) but tickets seem to be selling well (not as well as Birmingham, but I understand there was an offer for that game?) and there are only front/corners seats in the north.

I notice Boro's allocation was about 1800 (with the option of more) so I would suggest this would mean at least half of S1F is also available, should we need it.

Will there be a last minute rush, when those who have not yet digested quite how important this game is eventually realise it's enormity?

I'm also guessing that tomorrow is an earlier than normal pay day for those on monthly pay?

I'm guessing 26500 which I think will be the 2nd biggest gate of the season.

There is an after party to look forward to now too so no excuses!
I'm not going , all that walking in Derby last sat has taken its toll
regards
DR

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Not sure about lots buying them outright. I'm sure buying them on direct debit guarantees your season ticket for next season where outright just gives you a chance to buy for next season in a priority period

My Dad just got his outright and his understanding is that he is guaranteed it for next year.

I don't talk to him that often so could be wrong and he may have gone the DD route. Would appear a little strange to me if you weren't guaranteed it both ways

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here