Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Election 2017

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
A good summary. I was quite hopeful we would come to a mutually beneficial deal as it is in all our economic and political interests to do so. But some of the noises coming out of Brussels have been quite alarming, hopefully it's just initial negotiation posturing. Saying that I think it's vital the EU side realise we really are prepared to walk away if neccassery.

If the other side doesn't believe that we are prepared to walk away then there's no point in starting negotiations. Without that option they can demand anything they like, knowing that they'll eventually get it.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
The main thing with negotiations is that it's two or more groups trying to get what they need or want. If you want to get £500 for your car you would probably ask for £600 and expect to agree to a reduction. On the other hand, if you were hoping to buy a car priced at £600 for £500 and the seller wouldn't budge you would probably consider walking away and looking elsewhere. It'll be a similar principle with EU negotiations - except the figures would be in billions. Somewhere in the process there would be a point that both sides would want to get to. However, these points would almost certainly not be the same (or negotiations would be over very quickly). It's at this time that we start on the 'give and take' and try to negotiate a position that we could both live with. If this isn't possible then we would need to decide what next, and this could include walking away.

This car Jim................ what's the bodywork like ?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
As opposed to leaving without a deal and facing tariffs, being poorer but joyously not being under the control of the EU. And domestically the NHS continuing to be underfunded, more cuts to the Police, more cuts and means testing to pensioners, the long term sick.............
As opposed to nothing. The only thing it's opposed to is your wish to have the referendum overturned, and your continuing refusal to accept the result.

D

Deleted member 22389

I have read the Labour Manifesto, and it says they will ensure the country remains a member of the single market, but they don't actually tell you what they are going to do if we can't. They seem to have this idea that they can get a deal, they either don't understand how the EU works or damn well know they won't get any deal so they can eventually overturn Brexit.

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
I'll be voting from abroad using a proxy vote for the first time in East Worthing and Shoreham. Safe Con seat for Tim Loughton which means we get to look at his parliamentary voting record across the years.......

https://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/10371/tim_loughton/east_worthing_and_shoreham/votes

What a grade A wanker.

In contrast, the Labour candidate is well..............an interesting character. Funnily enough her being a Bournemouth fan actually puts me off more than her being a fella....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football...der-woman-football-standing-general-election/

Who is Loughton's main rival for the seat this time? Haven't really checked out the Libs one yet. I also see that UKIP weren't far behind Labour last time.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
As opposed to nothing. The only thing it's opposed to is your wish to have the referendum overturned, and your continuing refusal to accept the result.

I have accepted the result its just leave voters don't like being told that the future won't be utopia

Scotchegg

Sep 1, 2014
Brighton
I have read the Labour Manifesto, and it says they will ensure the country remains a member of the single market, but they don't actually tell you what they are going to do if we can't. They seem to have this idea that they can get a deal, they either don't understand how the EU works or damn well know they won't get any deal so they can eventually overturn Brexit.

Hasn't Corbyn actually always been quite anti-EU? I'm not entirely sure, but I thought I'd heard rumbles before about his eurosceptic opinions. If that's true, which like I said, not sure, then why would he want that to fall through and overturn brexit?

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
I'm sure the Tories will still win this but they've have been incredibly poor in this campaign. I'd come to the opinion that JC was pretty useless, but he's come out of it looking much better than 'Theresa May's Team'.

Could it not be the case that we end up with almost the same situation/majority we have now at the end of all of this?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I have read the Labour Manifesto, and it says they will ensure the country remains a member of the single market, but they don't actually tell you what they are going to do if we can't.

commentry on the leaked draft indicated they were going to have a redline on this, i.e. if they couldnt retain current access to the single market, they'd call it off. its been diluted, but this point is still there in principle. this make negotiations redundant as the EU just hold out awaiting the capitulation and continuation of UK membership (which they desperatly need to balance the budget, as proven with the amount of money they want to try and extract).

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Great stuff on Victoria Live, the odious Tory Dominic Raab being torn to shreds as well as a Tory voter telling him he is switching votes to Labour as JC a better hope for peace and security

What a dull sceptic life you must lead watching that shyte, I have this image of you watching this with your hands down you're trousers, I think I've just been sick in my mouth [emoji50][emoji50][emoji50]

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Great stuff on Victoria Live, the odious Tory Dominic Raab being torn to shreds as well as a Tory voter telling him he is switching votes to Labour as JC a better hope for peace and security

it was the Scots disabled girl who done it for him.................tore him to shreds its the first time I have heard him without being able to thread JC's name into the conversation.
another one who should not be allowed to go on the TV

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Victoria Derbyshire kept saying our audience is a fair representation of the electorate. :lolol:

The very latest polls give the Tories and UKIP combined the best part of 50% of the nation.

Even the BBC have admitted many a time that those selected or applying for these programmes lie about their voting intentions.

But these programmes aren't influential anyway. In a gathering of political scientists on Radio 4 last week, they universally agreed that those tuning into these programmes or leadership debates, have already made up their minds and the outcome is simply that those intentions reinforced.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I'd rather vote for hope than ultimate failure

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
how do they know who i voted for if i am very careful never to share this information

They. Do. Not. Know. How. You. Voted.

It is very simple. If you once gave a canvasser a clear impression that you were going to vote for (say) UKIP and by 9.30 on election evening hadn't shown up at the polling station then the local UKIP machine might send a car round to give you a lift to the station, hoping that you might vote as you intimated. There is nothing more to it than that.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Could it not be the case that we end up with almost the same situation/majority we have now at the end of all of this?

If this happens, then how will May's position be tenable? She only called the election to get a bigger majority, and if this backfires - surely she couldn't continue as Prime Minister as she would have lost all her credibility; much like Cameron and the referendum vote??

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
If this happens, then how will May's position be tenable? She only called the election to get a bigger majority,

it was also to assert a clear manifesto mandate to pursue Brexit, so that the Lords cannot obstuct it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here