Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Clapping the opposition off the pitch.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I thought it might be to try and influence Tammy Abraham to come to us next season, with a display of love for his team, and suggest we're a great bunch of fans to play for! :wave:

I'm not sure he'd have been overly impressed at the prospect of playing in a largely atmosphere-free stadium where more than half the crowd fvcked off before, at and after the final whistle rather than wait around to support the team, manager, chairman and backroom staff in their end of season (and what a season) lap of honour. Incredible scenes for all the wrong reasons.

Firingblanks1

Oct 4, 2004
North Portslade actually
My stance is exactly the one I and pretty much every fan around me at the Amex has had up until this game. You'll have to point me to all the times in the past where you've had a pop at your fellow fans for doing so. And if, for some reason, you can't, then I guess we can conclude that your attempt now at moral superiority is little more than virtue-signalling and I hope that next season when you irrationally abuse a rival team's player or their fans (and you will) that you recall these words. Hypocrite.

We lost. Get over it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Can we please not do that again? It right royally wound me up more than the performance on the pitch today. You'll be pleased to know that I stuck true to my beliefs and flicked Vs at them and called them all names.

Seriously though...why do that?

It's called sportsmanship. It is of course easier to be sporting when the Albion have already achieved the goal of promotion. If there was more sportsmanship among opposing fans perhaps we would have less aggression among a small section of supporters talking in their best 'Little Britain' language of being ' right royally wound up '

No offense but I'm assuming you are an adult.

Eagle Slayer

Jul 15, 2007
Worthing
Can we please not do that again? It right royally wound me up more than the performance on the pitch today. You'll be pleased to know that I stuck true to my beliefs and flicked Vs at them and called them all names.

Were you against the Bristol City fans that clapped at the Brighton fans memorial video , their fans which remained that clapped the players round , their manager who clapped Brighton fans before they walked off or if you were in their shoes would you shout abuse ?

That was only their 2nd away win in their last 18 away games so let them have their moment.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Good sportsmanship I thought. Gave everything for their team yesterday. We did the same for Yeovil I remember.

Unique situation with the crowd waiting for our team to come back out. Should be fairly obvious why it didn't happen for other games.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
They played well, earned respect, played for their survival and won it.

Fair play to them.

It takes a big man to flick a V at someone, but it takes a bigger man to acknowledge an opponents accomplishment while at the same time reeling from your own failure.

We did it because we have class.

Well some of us anyway.

Reminded me of the Jack Handley gag:

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
No other clubs' fans do this and we've never ever done it before and I've seen hundreds of games where Brighton got played of the park by a better opposition. It's just so needy and right-on. By all means have a drink after with them and have a civilised debate about who are the nicer fans but what's wrong with just for those 90 minutes abusing the other team and fans as our forefathers did?

Let's not pretend that it's something we have done before because we're better fans. We're not. We're just more needy.

Out of interest Buzzer, did you join in with the post match love in at Meadow Lane a few seasons back when we won League One?

Their fans had a pitch invasion for staying up ( like us against Stockport) and them coming over to us for a "You are staying up"... "You are going up"...call and response effort finished off that season nicely for me.

In general I accept what you say, but yesterday I felt the Bristol City players started the applause to us for what we've achieved this season and we responded because they achieved their aim of staying up. I certainly wouldn't have applauded them just for beating us.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

I thought it was because their team started clapping our fans as they came of the pitch, recognising the support that we have given our team over the season, so we responded. Don't worry, a bit like the mexican wave against Wolves, it was a bit of fun at the time and won't happen again for a VERY long time.

(Can Easy10 come off the naughty step now and come back out to play please ?)

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
It doesn't mean we have to love another team or every team that plays at the Amex :ffsparr:

Agreed but yesterday was a specific set of circumstances, not just any random team beating us in a random game.

Yesterday doesn't even register on my cringe scale.

Clapping Stevie fvucking G just for warming up on the touch line and then again for when he comes on as sub...now that is cringe worthiness of the highest order!!!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
CH disagrees with you there, But I agree with you. Anyone can keep the ball and do absolutely nothing with it, and that doesn't make that team better.

They did do something with the ball though, they scored.

Gully Forever

May 9, 2011
Agreed but yesterday was a specific set of circumstances, not just any random team beating us in a random game.

Yesterday doesn't even register on my cringe scale.

Clapping Stevie fvucking G just for warming up on the touch line and then again for when he comes on as sub...now that is cringe worthiness of the highest order!!!

Too many plastics live around Brighton, I know one of them who 'Supports' Liverpool and holds a season ticket with Brighton.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yesterday we happened to be passing the players entrance just before the Bristol bus arrived.
So we stayed to see them in.

Jnr was getting all excited about booing their players.
To which I replied, 'no, show some class'.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Too many plastics live around Brighton, I know one of them who 'Supports' Liverpool and holds a season ticket with Brighton.

So do i. Even has a Brighton born and bred tattoo but has numerous Liverpool ones :ffsparr:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here