Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Car accident advice

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
QUOTE=spongy;6950119]I'm not trying to get out of anything. I'm trying to minimise the cost. She's now home, she's phoned him back and he's already reported it to his insurance company so that's the route we'll go.

Apart from a smashed number plate and a loose grill her car is ok and I can repair it myself. ive seen the photo of his car and on the surface of it it must've only been a 5-8 mph shunt at most. He needs a new bumper.

If we don't claim and he wants to do we still have to pay the excess on our policy as we won't technically be claiming?

The excess should only apply to damage to your car.

The circumstances sound similar to an accident my wife had last week when someone went into the back of her car. Plastic bumper split along the top but estimate is about £700. Unfortunately my wife claims not to have suffered whiplash so we will have to pay for this years holiday in some other way!!!! Third party initially wanted to deal with privately but she is now notifying her insurers.

Appreciate what you are saying but to be honest, you did post on an internet forum that you were thinking about committing insurance fraud!!![/QUOTE]

I realise I said that but it's not my style really. I was just thinking out loud and asking for advice to minimise the cost. All options were running through my head a couple of hours ago. I'm not a dishonest person. But I would have carried out that threat to "The Man".

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
I've just a re read of the thread in case I missed something and seen this.

It's comments like this that make this board so frustrating at times.

If we had been talking face to face as a group I'm betting Dan "the man" wouldn't have said that oh so very sarcastic reply. And if we had indeed been face to face is the kind of shitty comment that would get Dan "the Man's" teeth punched straight down his throat.

The anonymity of a keyboard.... CJTC.

So, anonymous sarcastic reply versus anonymous threat of GBH? Remind me who's the CJTC?

ozseagull

Jun 27, 2013
It's all done. We're not claiming for hers so it won't cost us anything until renewal time, she hasn't got protected NCD so she'll lose 2 of her 4 years.

We'll just have to count the cost come renewal time.

A couple of things. Firstly you won't lose your no claims if you don't claim.
Secondly and most importantly. Aviva only ask how many claims you made, not how many accidents. Therefore when renewal time comes, renew with aviva and you don't have to tell them.
As far as I know only aviva ask the question this way. Subtle wording difference.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Make sure you get your wife's car checked out properly. The front of the car is likely to be designed to take the impact and spring back out. I was amazed at the amount of "hidden" damage to my car when I had a similar accident a few years back.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
A couple of things. Firstly you won't lose your no claims if you don't claim.
Secondly and most importantly. Aviva only ask how many claims you made, not how many accidents. Therefore when renewal time comes, renew with aviva and you don't have to tell them.
As far as I know only aviva ask the question this way. Subtle wording difference.

I think you have misread it (or maybe I have!). I think Spongy is saying that he is not claiming for the damage to his wife's car. If the third party claim on their insurance then their insurers will probably put Spongy's insurers on notice.

As for Aviva, you are obliged to advise them of all material facts as you are with any insurer. If you look at their website, they refer to a number of assumptions, one of which is that you haven't had a claim made against you in the last three years.

http://www.aviva.ie/online/driving/car-insurance/regulatory-legal/our-assumptions/

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder
I've just had a call from the missus saying she's just had an accident. I have my own insurance policy with is fully comp and protected with 15+ years NCD and I'm a named driver on her policy and vice versa. Can I not just say I was driving and use my policy? I know this option isn't strictly legal but if it can help us out financially then I'm game. We're not skint but any extra expenses will seriously **** up our tight finances.

What is wrong with just an inflation matched rise like most of us would love (my missus being a civvy for Sussex Police who hasn't had a rise in 7 years) and just keep the excess for the public purse strings???

Oh dear Spongy, she's gonna love you:wrong:

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
This brilliant idea about telling the insurer you were driving (I know you're not going down that route but I'm just thinking it though here)- how did you think that would work when the other party submits their statement to their insurer describing the female driver of the other car involved? :lol:

Pickledegg

Jul 13, 2012
I would guess in the cold light of day that the third party will wake up with serious neck and back pains!!

Sad world we live in but a stark reality! Let the insurance companies deal with it, that's what you pay for!

And like someone else mentioned, check the front end of yours as there may be a lot of hidden damage!

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
If you actually did get caught with the fraud ( which you are wisely not going to attempt ), besides any criminal penalties, you would find it very difficult to get any insurance again, so that could be the end of your driving days. And other financial products would also be potentially harder to obtain, including mortgages...

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Someone goes into the back of you and you get yourself to the doctors, get a sick note for whiplash and then wait for the no win no claim brigade to call and get yourself a couple of grand for whiplash injuries. That's the reality of today's society. I hit someone's wall twenty odd years ago, it left the car paint on the wall and no damage, they claimed 5 grand for a new wall and to this day they have not repaired it.

Insurers and police (and the medical profession) are well aware of the proliferation of staged accidents and associated whiplash claims that occurred over the past 5-10 years. They've now got their asses in gear and I think it would be quite difficult to get a false claim past them.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Possibly the other driver was a crook. My wife was scammed like this a while back. Five in the car, all paid off a few thousand each by the insurance co as a compromise.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Possibly the other driver was a crook. My wife was scammed like this a while back. Five in the car, all paid off a few thousand each by the insurance co as a compromise.

Or, quite possibly, his wife simply wasn't paying attention, and was driving too close to the vehicle in front, thus being unable to stop when the situation demanded it.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
So refreshing to see someone admit responsibility for their actions in this current blame game culture.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
ask the guy to get three quotes and you'll pay the middle amount in cash....he may say no.....the ball is in his court unfortunately , at least you qualify for a blow job every day for the next two weeks.....:thumbsup:

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
Insurers and police (and the medical profession) are well aware of the proliferation of staged accidents and associated whiplash claims that occurred over the past 5-10 years. They've now got their asses in gear and I think it would be quite difficult to get a false claim past them.

If someone goes straight to the doctor and gives the symptoms of whiplash, then it is very hard to disprove. Yes insurance companies have made progress, but only against multiple claims from one person or against people who have not sought medical advice.

D

Deleted User X18H

Settle privately by all means . However you will be obliged to report ALL accidents and incidents to your insurer however trivial you may think the matter is . Is the TP injured ?? At all ? Might they decide they are later ? It would appear to be a clear case of LNID on your part .

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
Or, quite possibly, his wife simply wasn't paying attention, and was driving too close to the vehicle in front, thus being unable to stop when the situation demanded it.

This looks like the most likely explanation, and is far too common. Hopefully people reading this will leave that extra bit of space on the road to avoid exactly this situation.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
If you settle privately, and then 3 months down the line you are hit with a claim for thousands for whiplash, I assume your insurance won't pay as you didn't get them involved from the start ? ???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here