Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Companies/brands you remember that no longer exist

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Brands go to die in Dublin, we still have NTL cable, Tower Records and until a few months ago, Dixons.

Tylers Shoes
B&I Line ferries
Bell Liner containers on lorries
Kwik-Save
Texas Homecare
Radion washing powder

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
tapes.jpg

Not a brand or company but I wonder whether kids these days even know what these things are.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Remember the hype when they launched THIS crap:

image.php

The Townsend Thoresen reference on another thread got me thinking. I don't believe they exist any more, presumably due to their unfortunate habit of leaving the back door open on their ferries.

So on the subject of long forgotten brands or companies: I give you- the Betamax video :clap:

betamax.jpg

Psst, you could (last time I looked) still acquire a betamax machine. However the price is through the bleedin' roof and you'd need to actually go to a high-end dealer to find (or order) one. This MAY have changed in the last couple of years mind.
The betamax tape has been used for studio-quality sound recording - though with digital stuff all around us, that may have been squeezed to a tiny corner of the market.
Personally, I like tube equipment, t'aint nothing like them bulbs what take ages to warm up, but sound amazing and rich compared to the tin thin sanitized and numbered sound-wave. Yuk. (yes folks, "yuk" is making a comeback).

Oh and by the way Edna - your signature is gay.
Men allow you to talk nowadays you silly moo - still not necessarily to listen to the silly drivel, but you are allowed to rabbit.

Last edited:

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
tapes.jpg

Not a brand or company but I wonder whether kids these days even know what these things are.

I still have one of those TDK ones with a recording of Southern Sound on the night we lost to Gillingham at home in the league cup when their keeper got sent off, they put the 2nd shortest player on the pitch in net (only David Gipp was shorter) and we STILL lost on penalties!!

Tont MIllard reporting and Chris Hutchings scoring for us!

How how very sad am I !!

I'm gonna have to dig that out now!

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Soda_Stream_ad.jpg

We had a SodaStream at home when I was a kid.

Looking back, I cannot fathom who came up with the idea that chucking a bunch of vile tasting syrup into supposedly carbonated but ultimately flat water would be somehow better than spending- what was it it in 1985- 25p? on a can of proper Coke?

The gas cylinders ran out after about three presses of the button, and the flavourings bore absolutely no resemblance to the branded drinks they were supposed to be. An utterly futile product, and yet apparently it still exists.

Seriously, who would buy a SodaStream now?

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
The 2Ball Screwball.

screwball.jpg

It was an ice cream, kids. Honestly.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
The perfect, flexible friend to buy your SodaStream with:

access-card.jpg

Guy Fawkes