Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] A27 Route Decision Delayed .... again!

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Just waiting for some ignorant **** to come along and say "You can always use the train"

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
The Arundel decision is complex and not one that should be rushed. I get held up there on a regular basis but I’d rather they left it as it is than ruin more of the countryside.

The Binsted route in particular would be devastating for the local countryside and virtually isolate a village. That can’t be be right.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Wasn't the original plan for Crossbush to go over the Arun via a bridge to join the dual carriageway just west of Arundel Hospital and the cricket ground and pub.

There were three Option 1, 3 and 5a, 1 is a expansion of the current road taking a route similar to this and splitting the town yet further in two whilst no addressing the problems of congestion at the roundabout

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
The Arundel decision is complex and not one that should be rushed. I get held up there on a regular basis but I’d rather they left it as it is than ruin more of the countryside.

The Binsted route in particular would be devastating for the local countryside and virtually isolate a village. That can’t be be right.

How would this proposed route isolate Binsted?

Binsted failed to put themselves behind Route 3, which pushed the 5a route into play. The campaign was for an offline bypass not an expansion of the route already splitting the town in two, so for most it was either 3 or 5 a.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

Unfortunately in the name of progression and need a large area of countryside will be lost, that is inevitable, or you just scrap the idea completely and have the congestion etc.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I believe this is the current position for Arundel.

A27_Arundel_Options_960x640_.jpg

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Just can't see anything ever being done to relieve the issues. Been going on to long. Will be minor adjustments costing a fortune and achieving nothing

Steve_PPP

Oct 24, 2017
Burgess Hill

And the same issues exist at Chichester. If the northern option is selected, it will likely cut the Goodwood Estate in half. This can't be allowed to happen.... Goodwood might not mean much to some folk, but its completely unique. One of the most original historic motor racing venues in the world. The Revival and Festival of Speed events each attract 150,000 people every year from across the globe, contributing millions to the local economy. There's just nowhere else like it, and the rural unchanged atmosphere and surroundings is essential to its charm. Ruining it with the A27 cutting through the middle of it is just crazy, even in the name of 'progress'!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
....and an IKEA or two. Albion, Albion, Albion...

Over the past 3 years from Felpham to Angmering (4 miles) nearly 10,000 new homes have been, or are currently being, built.

All are accessed by the A259 and/or A27 at Arundel.

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing and Arundel will always be an issue because of the Downs - nobody wants roads over them and it is too expensive to tunnel under.

I reckon that they should use the existing route from Shoreham to Fontwell - A283, B2139 & A29 - upgrading to a dual carriageway where needed and adding small bypasses to Storrington, Amberley and Houghton. The cost of that would be much lower and less of an impact on the Downs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here