Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
I was surprised too tbh - my legs aren't what they used to be I'll admit, but it really didn't feel like I was in a granny gear - even on the smallest ring at the front. Even if I try it on the flat it feels higher than it should be? (although the bike flies along beautifully using the rest) If the bike was for me then I would leave it as is tbh - but as its my 12 year old who will be riding, I think an easier ratio would be better to start with....

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I was surprised too tbh - my legs aren't what they used to be I'll admit, but it really didn't feel like I was in a granny gear - even on the smallest ring at the front. Even if I try it on the flat it feels higher than it should be? (although the bike flies along beautifully using the rest) If the bike was for me then I would leave it as is tbh - but as its my 12 year old who will be riding, I think an easier ratio would be better to start with....

Could even be an 11-23 cassette then. Proper flat terrain sprinters cassette. Unusual to have that paired with a triple though.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
I'll have a look tonight & see - not sure what is original on the bike or what has been "upgraded" tbh. The Xenon rear mech is a 9 speed, yet the Sora shifters are only 8 - and I cant find any info about that years bike coming with Campag components at all. There's a chance that the cassette may have been changed too at some point as it was only a sub £400 bike anyway brand new. With a triple front they are usually aimed at beginners and use a wide spread ratio...
TBH, it wont need a lot of work to get it more suited to a 12 year novice if that's what's required. A new cassette and a long Tourney rear mech will probably give me change out of about £30-40?

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
[MENTION=225]Hamilton[/MENTION], happy to be shortlisted for joining the Charlton fundraisers. Unless its raining.
[MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION], I had an attempt at Brasted Hill this morning. Its a bit of a handfull. Maybe I need to attempt it by not doing Ide first.

@Mystery Cockney fella who came to Kent this week, respect. I had a butchers, not an attempt, at Sundridge Hill. That's pretty evil too.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[MENTION=225]Hamilton[/MENTION], happy to be shortlisted for joining the Charlton fundraisers. Unless its raining.
[MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION], I had an attempt at Brasted Hill this morning. Its a bit of a handfull. Maybe I need to attempt it by not doing Ide first.

@Mystery Cockney fella who came to Kent this week, respect. I had a butchers, not an attempt, at Sundridge Hill. That's pretty evil too.
C'est la vie, still a cracking ride with a great looking profile.

Now I've been to the area I'd imagine it's almost impossible to get straight to a tough climb without slogging over at least one decent rise.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
C'est la vie, still a cracking ride with a great looking profile.

Now I've been to the area I'd imagine it's almost impossible to get straight to a tough climb without slogging over at least one decent rise.

Thanks. Granny gear got me up Ide. Its a great work out but one that would give me real worries if I were ever to worry about not making it.

The A20/A25 offers a relatively flat ride to Brasted, but I wouldn't like the A21 junction as it is very fast there. I'll have a think.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Thanks. Granny gear got me up Ide. Its a great work out but one that would give me real worries if I were ever to worry about not making it.

The A20/A25 offers a relatively flat ride to Brasted, but I wouldn't like the A21 junction as it is very fast there. I'll have a think.
Following on from [MENTION=13467]JoePrecious[/MENTION]' comments, I know we're all different but is that really likely in Sussex and Surrey?

How often do any of us finish a climb/ride slumped over our handlebars/top tube?

I have every confidence in all of us getting over 99% of S-E England's climbs, sure it might not be pretty, we'll not be getting KoM's awards, and our hearts and legs might not appreciate. But looking at your ride today, 51 miles, a couple of hundred feet short of 3k of climbing, at an average of 14.5, they're hardly the stats of a man who'll struggle on a tough climb.

Naturally there are climbs like Cobb Lane that touch 24%, and are too much for most of us (I have 1 success with 3 failures) but I think climbs like Ide's, Ditchling, Kidd's etc have many of us beaten before we set off.

JoePrecious

Mar 3, 2009
I bailed on the Beacon this morning. Was more tired than I expected, but more than that I just didn't fancy being the cyclist holding up the cars on a Sunday lunchtime! On my way down in the car earlier there were a couple of bikes going up with a few cars behind them barely moving and I just decided it wasn't worth it.

I think I'll have to plan an early climb in the spring.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I bottled out yesterday morning. Maybe it was after a long week at work with children and Mrs M bringing bugs back to the home to run me down a bit, but at 6.30 yesterday, I was just too tired. I'm also tinkering with saddle height. Clutching at straws...

Quite why I can't do the hills I used to (or new ones like Toys and Brasted) I can't work out.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I bailed on the Beacon this morning. Was more tired than I expected, but more than that I just didn't fancy being the cyclist holding up the cars on a Sunday lunchtime! On my way down in the car earlier there were a couple of bikes going up with a few cars behind them barely moving and I just decided it wasn't worth it.

I think I'll have to plan an early climb in the spring.
I hate having cars behind me and will do anything to wave them through.

I definitely think 'the smaller the car, the more room they need'.
I'm sure I've had little old ladies in their Micra's waiting for no oncoming cars on a flat stretch of road, who then overtake me but without pulling out or even getting close to the middle of the road. :facepalm:

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Had a spoke breakage today whilst out riding, weirdly the front wheel but luckily near the end of the ride. Can anyone recommend a decent place to get a new spoke fitted in Brighton? It's a 'hand-built' wheel; h plus son rim on some non branded hub laced with Sapim C x rays.

I am always a bit unsure when it comes to wheels and bike shops, it's dark art wheel building/repairs and I don't really want anyone doing it!

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Had a spoke breakage today whilst out riding, weirdly the front wheel but luckily near the end of the ride. Can anyone recommend a decent place to get a new spoke fitted in Brighton? It's a 'hand-built' wheel; h plus son rim on some non branded hub laced with Sapim C x rays.

I am always a bit unsure when it comes to wheels and bike shops, it's dark art wheel building/repairs and I don't really want anyone doing it!

I've not been to Baker Street Bikes for a while, but they used to be famously the best wheelwrights - or at least one of them was.

http://www.bakerstbikes.co.uk/

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
That would certainly be the easiest option as it's near to work so could drop off at lunch etc.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Any helmet arguments left have just been put to bed by that Tinkoff Paxo fella just hitting the deck.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here