Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Instead of calleri..?

Elvis

Mar 22, 2010
Viva Las Hove
We dont need to throw millions at it.

A loan for Wilson or Bamford would do it.

Both will be available for loan in January in my opinion.

I heard Chelsea are not impressed with the lack of game time Bamford is getting at Selhurst. So a sustained run in a top Championship club could be tempting for them.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I think a lot of people seem to have rise tinted glasses on with Ulloa. Don't get me wrong, I loved him and hated him at times, take a look at the Forest game. He did nothing all game, really slow and very disappointing. I know he got the goal, which is what you want strikers to do but I would much rather take a chance on a young Calleri.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Blackburn turned down £12m for Rhodes in the summer knowing that they would be fancying sanctions via FFP if they didn't sell. So what on earth makes people think we can afford him? If he's on anything like £40k a week you'd be looking at what, a 5 year contract on the same money (some chance) @ £2m a season plus say £14m transfer fee an outlay of £24m plus bonuses etc for a player who would be 30 at the end of the contract. That might be doable for a PL team but for us???

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I think Calleri can be better than Jordan Rhodes.

Brighton don't spend that much money on a player unless they happen to be pretty much Lionel Messi, and he's being linked with Arsenal and Inter, which Rhodes can't claim.

We should just give into the extra million pound demand from Boca and get it signed ASAP, before probably better offers come in.

If the club seriously believe him to be the answer up front then that is exactly what they should do. If they have any doubt, then move on to the next target.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
If people think a proven Premier League goal scorer will drop down to the Championship if made available on loan, they are deluded.

There's at least 8 Premier League teams that would take Leo in a heart beat, before he drops down a league.

Normally yes, but not given the business ties he has down here, plus the emotional ones.

I would say there is a chance.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Blackburn turned down £12m for Rhodes in the summer knowing that they would be fancying sanctions via FFP if they didn't sell. So what on earth makes people think we can afford him? If he's on anything like £40k a week you'd be looking at what, a 5 year contract on the same money (some chance) @ £2m a season plus say £14m transfer fee an outlay of £24m plus bonuses etc for a player who would be 30 at the end of the contract. That might be doable for a PL team but for us???

its a gamble, and the gamble is 150m if we make it to the premiership, where if we get there we would need a player who can tuck away goals, and we know he can do that with the right service.
but it would be a gamble and we could always sell him on if things do not work out

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
If people think a proven Premier League goal scorer will drop down to the Championship if made available on loan, they are deluded.

There's at least 8 Premier League teams that would take Leo in a heart beat, before he drops down a league.

a. The fact that others would take him, doesn't mean he would agree to go there.
b. Its quite plausible that LCFC would not wish to loan to a rival in the same division.

Thimble Keegan

Remy LeBeau
Jul 7, 2003
Rustington, Littlehampton
so did I say this
make a cheeky offer they can only say no

Exactly. But we have to be sure that we are going to miss out on Calleri before moving on.

Rovers reportedly turned down mega money in the summer but times change...Blackburn are unlikely to mount a promotion challenge this season and probably not next season either, so from the players point of view if he wants to perform at the top level then a move becomes more desirable.

Obviously the preferred option for Jordan would be to be bought by a Premier League club but if not the next best thing is to join a club who are right in the mix. Let's see what happens...

Albion & England forever.

Thimble Keegan
LIttlehampton BHA

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
its a gamble, and the gamble is 150m if we make it to the premiership, where if we get there we would need a player who can tuck away goals, and we know he can do that with the right service.
but it would be a gamble and we could always sell him on if things do not work out

I take your point but IF we brought him and IF we got promoted and good though he is that's not a certainty, we would still struggle to stay up unless he scored a shed load in the PL, IF he doesn't we would not be looking to get back even what we had paid which would be right at the top of his valuation in the market and we would be looking at paying someone £50k a week in the championship and potentially either not being able to sell or only able to get a proportion of the outlay back. That's exactly how clubs go skint...

Too many if and buts in there for Tony I suspect. Pick someone up at the right age and for the right wages and the fee matters less. If they are a success you can sell on for a profit, if not ,you are not stuck with a player on enormous wages. That suggests someone from a lesser league and perhaps wages in the £10 - £20k a week bracket. No idea what Calleri is currently on but I would imagine it's a fair way south of that...

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I think a lot of people seem to have rose tinted glasses on with Ulloa. Don't get me wrong, I loved him and hated him at times, take a look at the Forest game. He did nothing all game, really slow and very disappointing. I know he got the goal, which is what you want strikers to do but I would much rather take a chance on a young Calleri.

Leo scored 1 goal every 2 games at Championship level.

Not really a 'rose-tinted' record.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
It amazes me that anybody thinks we're even remotely in with a chance of Rhodes. Blackburn turned down 12m for him 2 months ago. He's on 40k a week. Over the course of his contract you're talking probably £20m-£25m investment on ONE player, even if Blackburn were willing to sell or Rhodes was willing to come.

Tony may or may not take a gamble in January but he's not an idiot. If he's going to spend big then he'll do it on a player with resale value, ie. More than we pay for him. Calleri at £7m could be sold for double that if he does well. He's 22. Rhodes may score well in this division but why has no top tier team gone near him? He has no resale value at his age and the price he'd be, and as I understand it, his all round Opta style stats that clubs use, aren't all that. He's a poacher, a flat track bully, but in the prem they want an all-rounder, which he isn't.

If he was available for 4-5m, TB would be in the long line of suitors. But at 15m BEFORE wages...It just demonstrates that better value can be found overseas.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Another vote for that man from Argentina:albion2:

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
I think a lot of people seem to have rise tinted glasses on with Ulloa. Don't get me wrong, I loved him and hated him at times, take a look at the Forest game. He did nothing all game, really slow and very disappointing. I know he got the goal, which is what you want strikers to do but I would much rather take a chance on a young Calleri.

Totally agree. People like to remember him as if he was as good as Murray or Zamora. He was a good forward at Championship level but nothing more. His movement just didn't seem sharp enough for top flight football. There were so many games where Ulloa was seen rolling on the floor or moaning at a ref. Even his touch wasn't anything special. In fairness, the stats don't lie, he had a decent goalscoring record for us, but I wouldn't totally judge a player on paper.

Bring on Calleri any day.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Totally agree. People like to remember him as if he was as good as Murray or Zamora. He was a good forward at Championship level but nothing more. His movement just didn't seem sharp enough for top flight football. There were so many games where Ulloa was seen rolling on the floor or moaning at a ref. Even his touch wasn't anything special. In fairness, the stats don't lie, he had a decent goalscoring record for us, but I wouldn't totally judge a player on paper.

Bring on Calleri any day.
.....and the only significant fact in there is his (more than) 'decent scoring record'. That's what we need!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
For me I'd like an experienced player, an out and out goalscorer, a good finisher and a good leader.

Jonatan Soriano (30) captain of Red Bull Salzburg 100 goals in 113 games for them over the last 3 years. Nothing left to prove there, may fancy a crack at the Prem?

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
.....and the only significant fact in there is his (more than) 'decent scoring record'. That's what we need!

I'd rather us buy someone who has the potential to do it in the division above not just in the Championship, and by the looks of the Albion's transfer targets, the club shares the same philosophy.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I'd rather us buy someone who has the potential to do it in the division above not just in the Championship, and by the looks of the Albion's transfer targets, the club shares the same philosophy.
I thought we were talking about a loan deal for Ulloa, not buying him?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here