Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Favourite US City / Town

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Lived here since the end of 2015 in Charlotte. Been to a lot of places before and since and Memphis is top followed very closely by New Orleans and Chicago.

Not too keen on the US but loved Memphis (flying saucer pub helped). Want to visit New York and fly on to New Orleans on the same trip.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Not a city, but a town. Astoria in Oregon. Been there a few times, loved it, especially the 1 time there was a beer festival.
You can't really beat NY for cities, I like Seattle though.

I'm in Miami a lot, not fond!

Yeah Astoria is the correct answer. Lovely place.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Never been to the US and have no intentions of doing so.

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
Either Chicago or NY as I visited both a few years back on my trip to run the Chicago Marathon.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
NYC - couldn't live anywhere else.

Places I personally think are overrated - Washington DC (great monuments and museums) but seemed a bit soulless; Philadelphia - used to be an interesting place but some very rough areas close to the city; Boston - worked there for a few months and could never work out what all the fuss was about

Living in the States has given me a chance to see other places I would not have done as a visiting tourist and have been surprised how good they are

Austin, Texas - great music scene and a very chilled vibe
Burlington, Vermont - reminds me a bit of Brighton, good restaurants, access to the great outdoors and lots of students enjoying life
Portland, Oregon - part of the Pacific Northwest, plenty of skiing, hiking and biking - and where they filmed Portlandia
Bar Harbor, Maine - amazing setting and gateway to Acadia National Park

Codner pharmaceuticals

Jun 17, 2009
Border Country
Although I'm based in the UK, I report directly to a firm headquartered in a small North Carolinian town. It's a lovely part of the world, and every trip I take there is enjoyable. I also like the area of California between San Francisco and the Oregon border (lots of friendly communities).

Which NC town? Drop by for a beer next time.

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I've only been to NYC for holiday, the rest has been business.

Chicago - loved it. Real sense of stepping into some Irish American history.
Philadelphia - small compact, easy to walk, nice alternative areas - as Brighton is to London, Philly is to NYC.
Minneapolis - surprisingly good fun. Some nice bars and I found the people lovely and friendly.
New York - well, it's great fun. If you can't find something great there, then you're dead in the head, surely.
Dallas - not much to do, but pleasant enough. The uptown area where the trams run is fun.
Houston - hideous monstrosity. One big Canary Wharf without any charm.
Seattle - ok. Was expecting more because of the hype. Felt a bit too modern for me.

PTC Gull

Micky Mouse country.
NSC Patreon
Apr 17, 2017
Florida
NYC - couldn't live anywhere else.

Places I personally think are overrated - Washington DC (great monuments and museums) but seemed a bit soulless; Philadelphia - used to be an interesting place but some very rough areas close to the city; Boston - worked there for a few months and could never work out what all the fuss was about

Living in the States has given me a chance to see other places I would not have done as a visiting tourist and have been surprised how good they are

Austin, Texas - great music scene and a very chilled vibe
Burlington, Vermont - reminds me a bit of Brighton, good restaurants, access to the great outdoors and lots of students enjoying life
Portland, Oregon - part of the Pacific Northwest, plenty of skiing, hiking and biking - and where they filmed Portlandia
Bar Harbor, Maine - amazing setting and gateway to Acadia National Park

I will second Austin. Have enjoyed Amelia Island on the Georgia /Florida border, nice old town feel. St Augustin has a lot of history. And Albuquerque is really nice. Like Seattle as well. And anything by the sea (I miss that.) off the beaten track. Like Apalachicola in Florida.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Why, out of interest? Does it just not appeal? I've similar feelings about Oz.

There's a lot more other countries i would rather visit, starting with South America. It simply doesn't appeal to me. Never has done.

gmabel830

Aug 12, 2017
Phoenix, AZ - especially in March when there's amazing weather and Spring Training baseball -- or basically all of Winter when we laugh at the rest of the country. :)

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Not a city, but a town. Astoria in Oregon. Been there a few times, loved it, especially the 1 time there was a beer festival.
You can't really beat NY for cities, I like Seattle though.

I'm in Miami a lot, not fond!

Spent some time in and around Astoria / Portland myself...fantastic area. Always remember turning up at Cannon Beach and realising it was where they filmed the Goonies opening scenes. Made it an even better visit being a huge fan of the movie!!

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
For me, nothing beats New York. As somebody once said "When you leave New York you ain't going anywhere"

EDIT: Honourable mentions for Seattle, San Diego and Boston (all good calls and I can see why people like them), but for me New York IS America.

Except that NYC is unlike almost anywhere else in the USA. I do love it, though. There's always somewhere else to explore and something else to do.

My favourite other US cities are San Francisco, Chicago, New Orleans and Boston. I've lived and worked in Miami, so I see it a bit differently. I can understand why people dislike it but there's far more to it than South Beach (which is in Miami Beach anyway, technically a different city). Parts of LA are interesting (the canyons, Venice Beach) but most of it isn't.

Dallas I thought was dull apart from the Kennedy assassination museum at Dealey Plaza, which I thought was fascinating, and Houston was dreadful - a humid sprawl of drabness.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here