Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Bizarre visiting supporter today

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I think it's quite SWEET that we get football tourists nowadays. Where's the harm? :shrug:

There was a Japanese lad in front of us taking photos every time Liverpool got a free kick (which was frequently).
There were three Japanese spending money in the club shop after the game, when I was buying my Gully gnome for the garden.

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
A bit like any one of us who ever did a mini-break to Barcelona or Munich or Milan did where it coincided with a home game. Why would you NOT go? ???

I did one of those nearly 20 years ago for a Juve match at their old stadium - bloody loved it. Turned up without tickets, bought from a tout outside the ground, Del Piero scored and both sets of fans spent the whole game throwing flares at one another and waving flags (not the poxy little ones we have on our seats once a year!!)

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
Not to an East Asian, but I’m assuming you don’t care what they think hence the tepid trolling

Never assume as you end up looking stupid.
I just asked my wife if She finds it offensive and she said no and she cannot understand why anyone would, especially those who are not oriental/asian.

She is 'East Asian.

Last edited:

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I had a very informed conversation with a 60 year old Liverpool fan on the train home who has been there, seen that, and done the lot. He had the same accent as me and he was from Eastbourne. I really hope Liverpool win the league. :thumbsup:

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
Well, very few Western people would get upset by it but you are effectively calling a person "it". I can't say I'd like to be referred to as "it". It's not racist, it's incorrect and it's rude.

If people are happy to continue to be wrong even after they have been politely corrected then yes, that's fine. I suppose it depends on what standards one holds oneself to.

My wife is oriental/asian and is not offended and cannot understand why she should be offended by it.
Thank you for politely correcting me but I think my wife has a more relevant point of view from the horses mouth so to speak.

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
Why not just let it all wash over you and do your normal matchday thing? Like I said earlier, where's the harm in letting tourists attend and do their tourist thing. Fair play for sourcing an Amex ticket IMHO

If they ( tourist ) have paid for a ticket then why not? There are plenty on NSC who never go to a game ( home or away) and all they do is constantly moan. The tourist is putting money into the club....I have seen many asian 'tourists' buying shirts in the shop.. ( and its not my wife even though shes Asian and a ST holder)

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I just asked my wife if She finds it offensive and she said no and she cannot understand why anyone would, especially those who are not oriental/asian.

She is 'East Asian.
You can't determine that a word is not offensive by the word of one person.

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
You can't determine that a word is not offensive by the word of one person.
True but I would rather listen to the views of someone who is supposed to be offended rather than someone who is offended on behalf of them. None of her family and it is a very large family are offended by it as this conversation has come up before.
My point is that we should not presume that everyone who comes under the ethnic group mentioned are offended. It's more the west deciding it's offensive.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
As we came out of the shop, there was a group of Spanish blokes taking selfies with Bruno. They may have been tourists, or local workers.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
My wife is oriental/asian and is not offended and cannot understand why she should be offended by it.
Thank you for politely correcting me but I think my wife has a more relevant point of view from the horses mouth so to speak.

I didn't say it was offensive. I said it was incorrect. Whether your wife finds it offensive or not is irrelevant. Calling a person Oriental is an incorrect use of the word.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
True but I would rather listen to the views of someone who is supposed to be offended rather than someone who is offended on behalf of them.
I hate this idea that it's bad to be offended on behalf of someone else. All those people are doing is standing up for minority groups, who aren't always in a position to stand up for themselves.

None of her family and it is a very large family are offended by it as this conversation has come up before.
My point is that we should not presume that everyone who comes under the ethnic group mentioned are offended. It's more the west deciding it's offensive.
The presumption isn't that everyone in a particular group is offended, the presumption is that some people can be justifiably offended. For whatever reason, your family aren't offended by it. That's cool. Some people are though.

The orient is a region, and oriental is supposed to mean inanimate things from that region, not people. When people use the word to refer to East Asians, it's usually just a bit of ignorance with no harm meant, so many Asians will just forgive the mistake. It's still good if we can all learn to use the appropriate language though.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
There as a bizarre Klopp look a like outside the west doing Klopp mannerisms. To be fair he was a great doppelgänger. Teeth n all.

klopp.jpg

Simon Dack's amazing pic.

So.CalGull

Sep 28, 2010
Orange County. California.

Similarly, my wife is Chinese, born and raised there for her first 18 years, she read this quote and politely disagrees with you.

To quote her "A rug is oriental, I am Asian." Each to their own I guess.

adjective
1. of, from, or characteristic of Asia, especially East Asia.
synonyms: eastern, Chinese, Japanese
"his priceless collection of oriental art"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here