Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

new government on English Channel migrants !!!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Oh no it's not. You need to look at the asylum stats on .gov.uk - extract for year ending March 2018:

"Of the 14,166 people granted asylum, protection and resettlement, 5,953 (42%) were children (under 18 years old).

Additionally, 5,874 Family reunion visas were issued to partners and children of those granted asylum or humanitarian protection in the UK"

Of those who claim asylum here only around 50% are granted so the number of applicants for asylum is therefore around 28,332 or more annually. The latest influx in migrants crossing the channel in small boats is new and has gone from a few to hundreds.

My sentence was referring to Channel crossings, so sorry if you misunderstood what I meant. JCFG was trying to say the boat crossings only applied to southern ports.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i think its gross over-reacation that 200 migrants is considered a "crisis". in the Med thats not even a boat load in some cases. we really are getting wound up over this, looking at the migrant numbers above its about 0.1% of total immigration.

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-48484017

Channel migrants: 'Record number' of boats cross Channel

The UK Border Force is dealing with a number of boats that have crossed the English Channel carrying migrants.

HM Coastguard said it had assisted at 13 "incidents" off the Kent coast. Earlier, it was reported four boats with 30 people had been intercepted.

Eight men in an inflatable dinghy have also been seen on Winchelsea Beach, in East Sussex.

The Conservative MP for Dover and Deal, Charlie Elphicke, said it was "a record number of boats in a single day".

He tweeted: "This crisis was meant to have been dealt with at Christmas, yet numbers continue to rise.

"It looks set to surge to record levels through the summer.

"The Home Office needs to get a grip on this crisis."
The Marine and Coastguard Agency said RNLI lifeboats from Dover, Dungeness and Rye had been involved in the incidents, along with coastguard rescue teams from Folkestone, Langdon and Rye Bay.

Last month, 140 migrants were picked up - the highest number since December, when a "major incident" was declared.

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
France must be a grim place to be at the moment, all these doctors and scientists risking life and limb to cross one of the busiest shipping lanes in the world.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Far too sensible a post and not racist enough for a number of people on NSC.
I do not like illegal immigration, but I do not blame the illegal immigrants.
Greece and Italy have far more and treat them far better than we do, they are families with children putting their lives at risk for a better life.

Well the way you waffle on about the state of this country maybe you should head down to the beaches and protect them from inevitable misery!

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
i think its gross over-reacation that 200 migrants is considered a "crisis". in the Med thats not even a boat load in some cases. we really are getting wound up over this, looking at the migrant numbers above its about 0.1% of total immigration.

But still 200 too many.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
A civilized society (that I hope we are) should welcome people in need, we have a proud history.

We should be ashamed of the deaths, the sight of drowned children should be bringing people back to reality.

Always reminds me of Orwell's 1984, we have partly become his dystopian future. Quote from Winston's Diary;

April 4th, 1984. Last night to the flicks. All war films. One very good one of a ship full of refugees being bombed somewhere in the Mediterranean. Audience much amused by shots of a great huge fat man trying to swim away with a helicopter after him, first you saw him wallowing along in the water like a porpoise, then you saw him through the helicopters gunsights, then he was full of holes and the sea round him turned pink and he sank as suddenly as though the holes had let in the water, audience shouting with laughter when he sank. then you saw a lifeboat full of children with a helicopter hovering over it. there was a middle-aged woman might have been a jewess sitting up in the bow with a little boy about three years old in her arms. little boy screaming with fright and hiding his head between her breasts as if he was trying to burrow right into her and the woman putting her arms round him and comforting him although she was blue with fright herself, all the time covering him up as much as possible as if she thought her arms could keep the bullets off him. then the helicopter planted a 20 kilo bomb in among them terrific flash and the boat went all to matchwood. then there was a wonderful shot of a child's arm going up up up right up into the air a helicopter with a camera in its nose must have followed it up and there was a lot of applause from the party seats but a woman down in the prole part of the house suddenly started kicking up a fuss and shouting they didnt oughter of showed it not in front of kids they didnt it aint right not in front of kids it aint until the police turned her turned her out i dont suppose anything happened to her nobody cares what the proles say typical prole reaction they never --

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
There seems to be a fair few posters prepared to condemn those traveling from France to England in not much more than a glorified kiddies paddling pool.
Despite their own probable refusal to go on Swanbourne Lake without a life jacket.
Let alone international travel without concierge car parking, airplanes, airport collection and a 5* hotel.

Dr Bandler

Dec 17, 2005
Peterborough
A civilized society (that I hope we are) should welcome people in need, we have a proud history.

--

I am afraid your sentiments, although appearing worthy, are based on sentimentality and emotion, rather than being logically thought through. No one could disagree with a vague, warm statement that says we should help people in need, but this ignores the fact that there are a huge number of economic opportunists trying to get in. Additionally, who defines "in need"? It also offer no practical suggestion as to how we, and other western countries, should deal with the increasing problem of large numbers of illegal migrants. Unless, of course, you think they should all be let in to assuage your sense of "decency".

More clear-headed thought required, and less woolly, good intentions. Sorry if I sound harsh but we need to find a solution - it will not just go away.

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
I am afraid your sentiments, although appearing worthy, are based on sentimentality and emotion, rather than being logically thought through. No one could disagree with a vague, warm statement that says we should help people in need, but this ignores the fact that there are a huge number of economic opportunists trying to get in. Additionally, who defines "in need"? It also offer no practical suggestion as to how we, and other western countries, should deal with the increasing problem of large numbers of illegal migrants. Unless, of course, you think they should all be let in to assuage your sense of "decency".

More clear-headed thought required, and less woolly, good intentions. Sorry if I sound harsh but we need to find a solution - it will not just go away.

I can assure you its based on my British values and the need to see people as human beings and not political objects to kick around. No sentiments their. What part of the Orwell text (written 1948) that you deleted from the quote was sentimental.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-48484017

Channel migrants: 'Record number' of boats cross Channel

The UK Border Force is dealing with a number of boats that have crossed the English Channel carrying migrants.

HM Coastguard said it had assisted at 13 "incidents" off the Kent coast. Earlier, it was reported four boats with 30 people had been intercepted.

Eight men in an inflatable dinghy have also been seen on Winchelsea Beach, in East Sussex.

The Conservative MP for Dover and Deal, Charlie Elphicke, said it was "a record number of boats in a single day".

He tweeted: "This crisis was meant to have been dealt with at Christmas, yet numbers continue to rise.

"It looks set to surge to record levels through the summer.

"The Home Office needs to get a grip on this crisis."
The Marine and Coastguard Agency said RNLI lifeboats from Dover, Dungeness and Rye had been involved in the incidents, along with coastguard rescue teams from Folkestone, Langdon and Rye Bay.

Last month, 140 migrants were picked up - the highest number since December, when a "major incident" was declared.

so the coast guards join the list of ancillaries being stretched to breaking point.....ffs

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
gross mis-use of "crisis", numbers crossing the channel in a whole month are less than one boat in the Med.

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London

We should be ashamed of the deaths, the sight of drowned children should be bringing people back to reality.

Always reminds me of Orwell's 1984, we have partly become his dystopian future. Quote from Winston's Diary;

April 4th, 1984. Last night to the flicks. All war films. One very good one of a ship full of refugees being bombed somewhere in the Mediterranean. Audience much amused by shots of a great huge fat man trying to swim away with a helicopter after him, first you saw him wallowing along in the water like a porpoise, then you saw him through the helicopters gunsights, then he was full of holes and the sea round him turned pink and he sank as suddenly as though the holes had let in the water, audience shouting with laughter when he sank. then you saw a lifeboat full of children with a helicopter hovering over it. there was a middle-aged woman might have been a jewess sitting up in the bow with a little boy about three years old in her arms. little boy screaming with fright and hiding his head between her breasts as if he was trying to burrow right into her and the woman putting her arms round him and comforting him although she was blue with fright herself, all the time covering him up as much as possible as if she thought her arms could keep the bullets off him. then the helicopter planted a 20 kilo bomb in among them terrific flash and the boat went all to matchwood. then there was a wonderful shot of a child's arm going up up up right up into the air a helicopter with a camera in its nose must have followed it up and there was a lot of applause from the party seats but a woman down in the prole part of the house suddenly started kicking up a fuss and shouting they didnt oughter of showed it not in front of kids they didnt it aint right not in front of kids it aint until the police turned her turned her out i dont suppose anything happened to her nobody cares what the proles say typical prole reaction they never --

We are a civilized society but the rules for claiming asylum are that it should be sought in the first safe country - not for those seeking asylum to do a grand tour of Europe and then getting a dinghy across the Channel.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
We are a civilized society but the rules for claiming asylum are that it should be sought in the first safe country - not for those seeking asylum to do a grand tour of Europe and then getting a dinghy across the Channel.

As I referred to many posts ago, quite a few are trying to reunite with their families. They may have a relative already here. War torn countries split families as they flee. It's not always convenient to make sure everyone leaves a bombed out town or village at the same time.

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton

Not my definition of civil society, you make it sound like people escaping war and forced labour in places like Eritrea are on a summer vacation.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here