Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Peter James’ “bomb at the Amex” fiction in Argus today

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
His books are poorly written drivel. They are hugely popular. People are stupid.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
There is also a sub plot of Roy Grace's first wife disappearing and his new love.

I've read several of his books, and there does tend to be a samey feel about the way they're solved. I really didn't feel like getting the 'latest' one after that as you knew what was going to happen, even thought it is supposed to be a crime mystery thriller.

I get them from the library :) Bad fan!

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Nice guy I'm sure, terrible writer though in terms of storylines and writing style!

Each to their own.
Millions disagree.
I cannot bring myself to watch any of the soaps but that does not mean there is talent in the productions.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Tolstoy? That’s like comparing Leon Best with Messi - and I’m not even joking.

Wilbur Smith is, imo, a far better writer than PJ - there’s no deus ex machina plot devices in his books, for starters.

Snobbery? Possibly so, but that doesn’t mean an assessment of PJ’s writing abilities as garbage is wrong!

Edit: “PJ is the Leon Best of authors” - Katie Price. I can see the blurb now...

Yeah, yeah - snobbery again :wink:

Totally disagree with you.

Opinions. Opinions.

AlastairWatts

Nov 1, 2009
High Wycombe
I've not read any of his books, although I suspect they are the sort of thing I'd enjoy.

I have, and although he started off well the 'series' has deteriorated to the point where they are, quite literally, drivel. My copies have all been donated to the Oxfam shop. Essentially he takes real life people and locations in Brighton & Hove, disguises them slightly an spins a murder mystery from there. Not worth a read, even at Oxfam prices...

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
His books are poorly written drivel. They are hugely popular. People are stupid.

And there's the classic snobbery right there.

"I'm really clever because I'm one of the special people who can see that all his books are utter shithouse. Ergo, everyone who actually enjoys his books are stupid, and not as clever as me".

Its bollocks. You're presenting an opinion as fact.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
And there's the classic snobbery right there.

"I'm really clever because I'm one of the special people who can see that all his books are utter shithouse. Ergo, everyone who actually enjoys his books are stupid, and not as clever as me".

Its bollocks. You're presenting an opinion as fact.

You're probably right.

Brian Munich

teH lulZ
Jul 7, 2008
Strikes me as one of the most spectacularly tasteless things I’ve seen about the Albion in a while. No wonder the Argus decided not to promote it on its front page, bet they had mixed feelings about it

You’re not the Albion fan on Twitter that tweets about Neighbours’ plot lines as if it’s real life are you?

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Tolstoy? That’s like comparing Leon Best with Messi - and I’m not even joking.

Wilbur Smith is, imo, a far better writer than PJ - there’s no deus ex machina plot devices in his books, for starters.

Snobbery? Possibly so, but that doesn’t mean an assessment of PJ’s writing abilities as garbage is wrong!

Edit: “PJ is the Leon Best of authors” - Katie Price. I can see the blurb now...

Yeah, yeah - snobbery again :wink:

I'd say McDonalds vs a Michelin star restaurant is a better analogy - I mean, loads of people like McDonalds obv but few would argue that it isn't mass produced, the same food being churned out time and time again with slightly different labels. Going to that Michelin star restaurant (which I haven't), you know that you're going get something new and different that has had a lot of thought, time and design put in to it.

Only difference is, Peter James' books aren't dirt cheap.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I'd say McDonalds vs a Michelin star restaurant is a better analogy - I mean, loads of people like McDonalds obv but few would argue that it isn't mass produced, the same food being churned out time and time again with slightly different labels. Going to that Michelin star restaurant (which I haven't), you know that you're going get something new and different that has had a lot of thought, time and design put in to it.

Only difference is, Peter James' books aren't dirt cheap.

Agreed - a much better analogy.

Although, I'm not sure why I'm responding to a post you've made - your dignity and good humour concerning the club you support's loss in the playoffs spoilt my schadenfreude. B'stard.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
I've read all of them - I think they're good books. Entertaining for a summer holiday read. Seen the adaptations for the stage and they're usually pretty good too

tiberious

Nov 3, 2009
The earth
I've not read any of his books, although I suspect they are the sort of thing I'd enjoy.

However: "But rapidly Grace finds himself entering a dark, criminal underbelly of the city, where the rules are different and nothing is what it seems." - hasn't Roy Grace been knocking about Brighton solving all sorts of heinous crimes for some time now? I would have thought he'd be well acquainted with the criminal underbelly of the city by now.

Dont be so sure.. I have and I am not a fan. If you want fact about how many roads there are and their names in a stretch of Marine Parade then his books are for you. Who do we know who is a gambler and goes to football and has a son ???? oh and maybe owns the Amex. not much imagination in my opinion just a change of certain real peoples names maybe ?

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Just finished 'Dead if you don't'. Whilst a good read, and enough to keep you in suspense does he have to name drop so many people and Sussex business' in there.

Seems to be 90% story 10% business advertisement

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
This is one of the things I always find curious about his books - they're so parochial. He constantly references towns and street names throughout Brighton and Hove, so you always have a good idea geographically exactly where everything is. Which is fine for the likes of us, but all that would mean absolutely NOTHING to anyone who doesn't know Brighton and Hove. Unless they bought an A to Z.

Some herbert reading one of his books in Sheffield would probably wonder why the hell he's always being told various road names in Brighton.

Yes, i had assumed that they were only largely read by people in sussex. But they've had big billboards advertising them in Leeds station recently.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box

People read different types of books for different reasons, so perhaps a little judgmental?
Sometimes choosing a book that doesn't tax the brain too much is exactly the target that, otherwise, very celebral individuals are looking for.

I have been known to read academic papers, text books, books on the specific syntax of certain languages, etc on holiday. But every once in a while I like to sit on the beach (or on a commuter train) and read a yarn about Jack Reacher because I don't have to engage my brain very much to read it - but I'm relaxing so that is the point!. The plots are simplistic, the characters two dimensional and the "twists" / "puzzles" are pretty well telegraphed in advance.

Fourteenth Eye

Face for Radio
Jul 9, 2004
Brighton
Just finished 'Dead if you don't'. Whilst a good read, and enough to keep you in suspense does he have to name drop so many people and Sussex business' in there.

Seems to be 90% story 10% business advertisement

To be fair he does a lot of charity auctions where one of the prizes are to be a character in one of his books.

An awful lot of money has gone to very good causes for these mentions

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here