Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Al Murray

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
Nothing wrong with that. It's about what you believe, and more importantly do, that really matters.

Well, you see I think there is. For me the single best thing you could do to improve this country would be to ban private/public schools. Then we all really would be in it together. Governments would ensure education is well funded (or else their own kids would suffer), social cohesion would improve at a stroke if we all had to mix as equals, and ridiculous things like Islamic/creationist schools would be banished at a stroke. As I say, if we want to live in a country where everybody respects everybody else, regardless of class, religion, ethnicity, wealth etc, teaching us all together would be a good start. I'd obviously draw the line at being educated with a Palace fan, but that's the one exception.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Murray let himself down by being pissed out of his brains. As the OP said...no class, no dignity.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
What a :wanker:
Did anyone think he was funny? No class or dignity. A total embarrassment.

This, completely.

Despite what I might think of individuals political stance, I was deeply impressed by the dignity of the candidates of every political colour, whether in defeat or victory. Typically understated British best behaviour.

Apart from that shallow f**k Murray who defied the odds on his biggest ever stage by being even less funny than he usually is. :tosser:

Stumpy Tim

Well, you see I think there is. For me the single best thing you could do to improve this country would be to ban private/public schools. Then we all really would be in it together. Governments would ensure education is well funded (or else their own kids would suffer), social cohesion would improve at a stroke if we all had to mix as equals, and ridiculous things like Islamic/creationist schools would be banished at a stroke. As I say, if we want to live in a country where everybody respects everybody else, regardless of class, religion, ethnicity, wealth etc, teaching us all together would be a good start. I'd obviously draw the line at being educated with a Palace fan, but that's the one exception.

LOL. That's ridiculous. Think about the number of new schools that would have to be built to cater for all the kids banned from private school. Currently people who send their kids to private school pay tax for education they don't use - is that not a good thing?

People also need to understand that it's not just the rich who send their kids to private school. My two go to one and we're not millionaires. With the odd exception, our kids friends aren't particularly wealthy.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
LOL. That's ridiculous. Think about the number of new schools that would have to be built to cater for all the kids banned from private school. Currently people who send their kids to private school pay tax for education they don't use - is that not a good thing?

People also need to understand that it's not just the rich who send their kids to private school. My two go to one and we're not millionaires. With the odd exception, our kids friends aren't particularly wealthy.

This. My two grandchildren, by my daughter, go to a private school. During her acrimonious divorce, their father refused to pay his half, so they reverted to the local school for two years. Not only did their education go backwards, but they were also bullied, with no action from the teachers. Fortunately the judge ruled that their father should pay his share, so they are back in their original school, although it is so popular, they had to go on a waiting list.
Freedom of choice is a good thing.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Post #4 on this thread.
Really? That's it! He just pulled some 'shock' faces and did some clapping. Can't believe that's what's got some so irate.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015

So what are your views on grammar schools and selective admissions ?

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
Jesus that must have been a culture shock?

Yes and no, I had learnt to box at a reasonable level so could look after myself, I did get picked on a bit for a short while but it stopped.

Private school does teach you much more about life skills than some give it credit for I guess, my school (which is no more, got knocked down in the late 80s early 90s for development) only ever had 96 pupils at best, the discipline was incredible! If you got the cane or the slipper it was in front of everyone at the morning assembly, trust me it bloody hurt alot as well, but all that said the discipline was for the good IMO, that said I remember my form teacher in Whitehawk (Ron Yates??) hitting me over the knuckles of my left hand with the edge of a ruler, as he walked past my desk, to this day I still don't know what I did to warrant him doing that? making me aware of who he was I guess :shrug: He was nothing but a bully, that said he was in good company as Whitehawk had it's fair share of them :lol: still got great memorys from those days though......

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
Not only did their education go backwards

Sigh. And the kids who have to go to that school because they can't afford private education have to put up with such a bad education, do they? As I say, if everyone went to the same schools then without a shadow of a doubt the government would ensure they offered a decent education. Social mobility has been in decline in this country for many years, the lack of a decent education for everybody is the problem.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Sigh. And the kids who have to go to that school because they can't afford private education have to put up with such a bad education, do they? As I say, if everyone went to the same schools then without a shadow of a doubt the government would ensure they offered a decent education. Social mobility has been in decline in this country for many years, the lack of a decent education for everybody is the problem.

There is no lack of decent education but some families don't want it or give their kids any guidelines as to social behaviour. The kids resent being sent to school so become disruptive. Throwing money into education doesn't help families like this.

Stumpy Tim

So what are your views on grammar schools and selective admissions ?

To be honest, I don't know enough about it to have a reasonable debate. My view on education is this. I don't believe it is right to hold some kids back to make things "fair". The alternative being suggested is that society should ensure everyone has the same education, even if that education is worse. Neither are perfect, but my belief is that to progress we need highly educated people and holding children back isn't going to help anyone

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
To be honest, I don't know enough about it to have a reasonable debate. My view on education is this. I don't believe it is right to hold some kids back to make things "fair". The alternative being suggested is that society should ensure everyone has the same education, even if that education is worse. Neither are perfect, but my belief is that to progress we need highly educated people and holding children back isn't going to help anyone
Which is what abolishing grammar schools did.

Stumpy Tim

Which is what abolishing grammar schools did.

I see. I'm not sure there is a right answer really. If you have two children who are equally as intelligent, but one comes from a family who can't afford better schooling & the other comes from a family who can. Do you prevent the second child getting better education access to give them both an even chance, or do you allow the more privileged child to do their best? I say the latter, but I also understand those who disagree.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I see. I'm not sure there is a right answer really. If you have two children who are equally as intelligent, but one comes from a family who can't afford better schooling & the other comes from a family who can. Do you prevent the second child getting better education access to give them both an even chance, or do you allow the more privileged child to do their best? I say the latter, but I also understand those who disagree.

That's the reason there were/are scholarships and bursaries which help talented children, whose parents cannot afford the fees.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here