Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Maty Ryan. Discuss.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I can't believe Maty is getting ANY compliments for basically GUESSING the right way the other day.

And WHATS MORE, he then proceeded to PUSH THE BALL back into the danger area.

And THEN he has the BARE FACED AUDACITY to CELEBRATE his mistake.

The guy really is something else.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
If he was failing to command his penalty area then we'd have problems, but he isn't.

We do have problems at corners. It is our biggest defensive weakness.

Yes, I was worried after the way he started his Albion career - who wouldn't be?

Yes, I think Ryan has had a good season so far. On balance, he's been a good signing but we have to sort out the corners, it's hurt us badly.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
We do have problems at corners. It is our biggest defensive weakness.

Yes, I was worried after the way he started his Albion career - who wouldn't be?

Yes, I think Ryan has had a good season so far. On balance, he's been a good signing but we have to sort out the corners, it's hurt us badly.

Agree. The corners thing has killed us in the latter part of this season. The entire team need to get their heads around that one.

phoenix

May 18, 2009
I don't know the answer. But it seems to be we are better at defending corners when Bruno isn't playing. Based on nothing, but i get that feeling.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Some sanctimonious stuff on this thread.

Sure, the guy was a hero against Stoke, it's great he's no longer showing the nerves that marred his first 3 appearances for us but this doesn't change the fact we are sh1t at defending corners and his lack of command of his 6-yard box is a factor in why we concede.

I'm not too sure how Ryan can be blamed for some god awful marking, ducking out of headers & mistimed jumps.

GJN1

Nov 4, 2014
Brighton
Not really working out, is it? How long do you give him? Can't afford for him to carry on as he is at the moment, can we? He might be a good a shot-stopper but he hardly inspires confidence, does he? Quite small for a keeper too.

As the OP I want to take back every last letter of this. I'm sorry, truly sorry.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As the OP I want to take back every last letter of this. I'm sorry, truly sorry.

But I bet your still somewhat pleased by the fun you've created.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I'm clearly very biased but has there ever been a sub 6ft goalie as good as him?

Depending on which site you read, Iker Casillas is either 5'11" or 6'0".

If the former, much as I love Maty, I'd have to put Casillas ahead of him.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
He is showing why we let David Stockdale drift out of contract and I am, sure a lot of credit must go the coaching he is getting from Ben Roberts.

Someone on the match thread pointed out that he's an upgrade on Stockers, as when the ball hits his back when coming off the post it doesn't go in!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
He is showing why we let David Stockdale drift out of contract and I am, sure a lot of credit must go the coaching he is getting from Ben Roberts.

We offered Stockdale an extension, so we didn't let him drift. He turned us down.

Maty Ryan had said he consulted a sports psychologist to help him mentally, at the beginning of the season, so it's not all down to Ben Roberts.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
We offered Stockdale an extension, so we didn't let him drift. He turned us down.

Maty Ryan had said he consulted a sports psychologist to help him mentally, at the beginning of the season, so it's not all down to Ben Roberts.

We offered Stockdale an extension on back ups money with no guarantee he would be number 1. Effectively we let him drift away.

miffy6

Mar 7, 2009
ryan15ccb2c6a905213b4.gif

ryan29f904d0c6e72f850.gif

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here