Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Stay up, or win the cup and go down?

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Winning the FA cup would be the pinacle for me. Would quite happily take championship football alongside our first major trophy.

I do understand what you are saying -it would be there for eternity. But if we had to choose (and we obviously don't) and accept Championship football next season with all its thrills and spills, would this be fair on TB who will doubtless have to dig deep into his pocket if we are then going to pay the going rate to challenge again for promotion. And if we are not able to go back up straight away, and TB gets fed up with losing cash, we could end up doing a Norwich who are now selling their better (yes; Pritchard -I know !!) players, as they are fearful of the financial consequences of next year without parachute payments.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Reality check. We’re not going to win the cup are we? We don’t have enough fire power to beat a top six team who will be up for the cup when we play them now we are in the last 16. However we might manage to stay up, let’s concentrate on that.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
It’s a ****ing stupid question, stay up and it’s worth what...£120m or win the cup and it’s worth what....didlly squat.

And would you tell your Grandchildren about the time we gloriously finished 16th in the Premier League?

It’s not a stupid question at all. The game is about memories, not money. Winning the FA Cup would be just about the best thing that this football club could ever possibly hope to achieve.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
Having looked at the last 9 years of the FA Cup, 9 of the sides were from the Big 6, 6 of them were in there Premier League and now aren't (2 of the 6 were Pompey and look where they are now) and the last 3 are Palarse, Stoke and Everton - all clubs not really doing anything of note.

I know that the FA Cup would be an immense achievement, but the cost of getting to the final seems to be one we really don't want.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
I'd like us to stay up.

But I'd love us to win the Cup.

The former makes financial sense.

But the latter is all about glory.

Heart over head every time.

Rambo

Don't Push me
Jul 8, 2003
Worthing/Vietnam
We have never won a major trophy (please don't bring up the charity shield boll88cjs), so I will take winning the cup if there is any chance of it. Not like we are ever going to win the premier league is it?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It took a long time to recover from 1983 Wembley trip so for me it a no brainer Stay Up not the same but just look how Portsmouth have faired after winning the cup. Mind we have TB not Arry and Rosie in charge,

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Definitely win the cup and go down.

Firstly, we'd beat the Nigels to winning a major trophy. I'd like that.

Secondly we could go about correcting that other crap stat - that we've never won the championship title (unlike the Nigels, plucky Bournemouth and the #twats). It shouldn't be necessary yet after the Bristol City shambles, it IS.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Given that Coventry City have won the cup I'm hoping we don't so when an overdubbed version of the Month Python communist leaders quiz is shown one of the questions will be

When was the last time Brighton won the FA Cup

Silence

Anyone

More silence

Well I'm not surprised you didn't get that one. It is in fact a trick question. Brighton have in fact never won the FA Cup

Applause

Now that would be immortality.

Anyway we don't have a clown as a manager so we are staying up.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Win the F.A. Cup
That would mean we would have won the F.A.Cup
I'm 46 years old .... the F.A.Cup means something to me.
Proper trophy

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Even if we stay up this year there is a good chance in the next 5 years that we wont.

The FA Cup is not as big as it was in 1983- but its still a major honour with European football. There's always a good chance to get promoted again. Wigan and Portsmouth are not similar being a small club and another who bankrupted itself.

The Brighton Ace

Nov 14, 2008
Sussex by the sea
I do understand what you are saying -it would be there for eternity. But if we had to choose (and we obviously don't) and accept Championship football next season with all its thrills and spills, would this be fair on TB who will doubtless have to dig deep into his pocket if we are then going to pay the going rate to challenge again for promotion. And if we are not able to go back up straight away, and TB gets fed up with losing cash, we could end up doing a Norwich who are now selling their better (yes; Pritchard -I know !!) players, as they are fearful of the financial consequences of next year without parachute payments.

Take your point and agree that we need to be in a long term sustainable position (and nothing so be to the detriment of this) but football isn’t an accounting excercise for Tony or any of us who spend thousands supporting the club. 1983 was before my time but, if you’re asking me as a fan, winning the FA cup really would be the pinnacle.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Stay up.

Lose in the cup final to Man City.

Qualify for Europe :thumbsup:

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Cup. No question. Then relegated to League 2 so I can go to some new grounds, bored of the Championship and prem ones.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here