Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Carillion...what would you have done?

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
I would have used [MENTION=1804]sams dad[/MENTION] a far more reliable builder, top class quality and always delivers on time and he won't go bust for a few measly quid!! support your local builder not these multinationals who just make millionaires out of fat lardy arsed executives!!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
always focus on the mines, why not the docks which were closed down the previous decade?

Disgracefully premature decision, there was still plenty of money to be made down the docks.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Naturally we should have kept coal mining going, a fuel outdated and heavily subsidised

I think the point [MENTION=232]Simster[/MENTION] was making was that when RBS (and, likely, the present shower) got into difficulty the government bailed them out, whereas when coal mining became uneconomical (allegedly) part of it was privatised (Notts) and the rest allowed to go to the wall. And commy Scargill and his hoards lost their jobs. And everyone laughed. Well not everyone, obviously. You did, though, I would imagine.

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
I would have used [MENTION=1804]sams dad[/MENTION] a far more reliable builder, top class quality and always delivers on time and he won't go bust for a few measly quid!! support your local builder not these multinationals who just make millionaires out of fat lardy arsed executives!!

Thanks Tony. I hope you and Rose are well. Are you still working?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I think the point [MENTION=232]Simster[/MENTION] was making was that when RBS (and, likely, the present shower) got into difficulty the government bailed them out, whereas when coal mining became uneconomical (allegedly) part of it was privatised (Notts) and the rest allowed to go to the wall. And commy Scargill and his hoards lost their jobs. And everyone laughed. Well not everyone, obviously. You did, though, I would imagine.

Firstly I did not laugh at people losing their jobs, never have as clearly not a pleasant time for anyone.

Scargill abused his power, in my view however had the banks gone under the catastrophic aftermath would have been awful. I may be wrong but did not Labour decide the bank bailout ?

Politics aside there should have been large interest states added to the government loans that bailed them out, they seem to be back to healthy profits now

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
Thanks Tony. I hope you and Rose are well. Are you still working?

Yes mate, just started 3 projects 2 in Bristol, 1st = 10 million -- 2nd = 3.8 million and a smaller one near Chepstow worth just short of 1 million all of them houses and flats, should keep me busy for a few weeks!! :) Rose said hi :wave: hope you and yours are all good mate :thumbsup:

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Modern day governments really are dragging this country down by wasting so much of our money and they knew this organisation was on the brink.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
highlighting there were no plans for communities where mines were closed down for some time before Thatcher vs Scargill. always focus on the mines, why not the docks which were closed down the previous decade? the problems there are similar to this issue, a general lack of long term policy we have in the UK going back decades.

Didn’t Callaghan close more mines than the tories?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Firstly I did not laugh at people losing their jobs, never have as clearly not a pleasant time for anyone.

Scargill abused his power, in my view however had the banks gone under the catastrophic aftermath would have been awful. I may be wrong but did not Labour decide the bank bailout ?

Politics aside there should have been large interest states added to the government loans that bailed them out, they seem to be back to healthy profits now

Fair enough (laughing). Not sure whether Scargill abusing his power justifies dropping whole communities in the shit, though. But, yes you are right - it was Labour who bailed out RBS in 2008. And yes, there should have been later reimbursement (not sure if there was any 'interest' paid). And apologies for my 'tone'.

However RBS is not a success story, and the torys have taken the decision thmselves to sell shares in RBS at a loss. And given that RBS are owed money by Carillion....from the Grauniad website:

June 2012: Huge IT failure leaves customers unable to access their accounts for days. Bank is later fined £50m for the problem.
February 2013: RBS is fined a £390m for “widespread misconduct” in rigging Libor.
June 2013: Hester is ousted as chief executive.
August 2013: Ross McEwan is promoted from running the retail bank to replace Hester. He formally starts in October.
February 2014: McEwan turns the bank’s focus away from investment banking to focus on the high street in UK and Ireland.
November 2014: RBS among banks fined for rigging foreign exchange markets.
August 2015: George Osborne sanctions sale of 5% stake in RBS despite a £1bn loss for the exchequer. Taxpayer stake falls to 72%.
December 2016: RBS announces £800m for settlements with shareholder groups over the £12bn cash call in April 2008.
February 2017: RBS admits it will not make an annual profit until 2018 – signalling 10 years of annual losses since its bailout. It also abandons plans to sell off the 300 branches which the EU had demanded in return for the government bailout.
April 2017: Chancellor Philip Hammond declares “we have to live in the real world” and warns RBS shares will be sold at a loss.
May 2017: A case brought by RBS shareholders over the April cash call in the high court is adjourned while settlement talks over a £520m claim continues. Along with other directors, Goodwin could be forced to defend accusations that investors were misled into buying shares in the Edinburgh-based bank’s rights issue.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Nationalise Carillion as we should have done with RBS and Lloyds with these three we could have started to build our way out of austerity

Interesting. Beats lending them taxpayers money, letting them sort themselves out unsuprvised, then writing off the debt and selling off OUR shares at a loss, as happened with RBS.... When do small business people get given taxpayers money with no strings attached when their business gets into trouble?

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
Yes labour and him shut down twice as many as thatcher :)

Ah, I remember the days of A level politics and being told of the evils the Tories did during the 80s. Conveniently, we only found out about the Winter of Discontent because the text book we were using used it to illustrate Labour's failures - tutor of course told us to skip that section.

Interesting. Beats lending them taxpayers money, letting them sort themselves out unsuprvised, then writing off the debt and selling off OUR shares at a loss, as happened with RBS.... When do small business people get given taxpayers money with no strings attached when their business gets into trouble?

I would create a unit combined from HMRC and the Treasury to go in and run the place when financial distress is evident and the business is of national interest. If a government loan is required, collaterise the company's assets and then when the situation improves, hand it back over.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Didn’t Callaghan close more mines than the tories?

it was Wilson, dont think many closed under Callaghan (i dont think he had any say did he?). presumably, Wilson had a plan in place for those closures. i ask because i'd have thought the sme plans would apply to the later closures, but since no plans where there in the 80's one wonders if there was any plans before.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
it was Wilson, dont think many closed under Callaghan (i dont think he had any say did he?). presumably, Wilson had a plan in place for those closures. i ask because i'd have thought the sme plans would apply to the later closures, but since no plans where there in the 80's one wonders if there was any plans before.

I'm shocking when it comes to Prime Ministers names prior to Thatcher. I think it's clear there wasn't any plans, also - would if have been possibly to plan? These men were manual labourers and the economy during Thatchers' time moved towards services, huge disparity in skill required. I suppose they could have planned for the next generation, and in someways - New Labour tried this with surestart and trying to improve access to university. I think this had fine intentions, but awful consequences. I went to university, did a BA and MSc. I'm fortunate I'm "academic", but hopeless at anything that involves manual labour. My brothers are the opposite but feel pressured into going to university.

I can only hope Brexit forces a major rebalancing of the economy with emphasise on manufacturing, which involves a surge in engineers and programmers. Only way to compete.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I would create a unit combined from HMRC and the Treasury to go in and run the place when financial distress is evident and the business is of national interest. If a government loan is required, collaterise the company's assets and then when the situation improves, hand it back over.

Without charge? That would mean a loss to the taxpayer. That was not an option for me in the 90s when I couldn't pay the mortgage for 3 months. And the bank charged me every time they wrote to me to say I was overdrawn, then charged me again. My mortgage lender kept making money out of me, though, by keeping the intrest rate above inflation. Its is a ****ing racket. So, businesses who fail should at very least be made to pay back 'loans' with appropriate interest. When Osbourne wrote off the RBS loan, that was a disgrace. And on it goes....

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I'm shocking when it comes to Prime Ministers names prior to Thatcher. I think it's clear there wasn't any plans, also - would if have been possibly to plan? These men were manual labourers and the economy during Thatchers' time moved towards services, huge disparity in skill required. I suppose they could have planned for the next generation, and in someways - New Labour tried this with surestart and trying to improve access to university. I think this had fine intentions, but awful consequences. I went to university, did a BA and MSc. I'm fortunate I'm "academic", but hopeless at anything that involves manual labour. My brothers are the opposite but feel pressured into going to university.

I can only hope Brexit forces a major rebalancing of the economy with emphasise on manufacturing, which involves a surge in engineers and programmers. Only way to compete.

Wilson and Callaghan? Far from it. Labour was run by Oxbridge types just like the Conservatives. Apologies if I have misunderstood what you mean (in highlight).

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
Without charge? That would mean a loss to the taxpayer. That was not an option for me in the 90s when I couldn't pay the mortgage for 3 months. And the bank charged me every time they wrote to me to say I was overdrawn, then charged me again. My mortgage lender kept making money out of me, though, by keeping the intrest rate above inflation. Its is a ****ing racket. So, businesses who fail should at very least be made to pay back 'loans' with appropriate interest. When Osbourne wrote off the RBS loan, that was a disgrace. And on it goes....
Without charge? I never mentioned about charging them, but of course there would be a charge - it would effectively be a nationalised administration.

Wilson and Callaghan? Far from it. Labour was run by Oxbridge types just like the Conservatives. Apologies if I have misunderstood what you mean (in highlight).
Sorry, I should have been clearer, I meant the miners. Not Labour MPs.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Thank goodness The Royal money for redevelopment coming from the treasuary image.pngd

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Funny that this didn't apply to the miners under Thatch. She just left entire communities to rot and right wingers like you lapped it up.

Wilson government closed 290 approx.

Thatcher government closed 160 approx.

Go figure that red boy

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here