Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Joe Mason and Lewis Grabban

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
You all seem quite happy to take the word of the person on another message board who quoted a buy-out clause of £1.1 million but ignored the other on the same board that quoted it at £2.2 million. I have some news on that, and you can take this at face value or ignore it, I don't really mind. I'm afraid they're both wrong.

1. Grabban *did* have a buy-out clause of £1.1 million. Hence the reason a new contract was negotiated sharply in November when his form took off in the Championship

2. The new contract does have a clause in it but I believe it is slightly north of £2.5 million. There wouldn't have been much point in giving him a new contract if we didn't try to protect the investment

3. What my source didn't know is the exact wording of that clause but they understand it's a little less than straightforward. Speculating that could means lots of things from just that AFCB have to consider the offer (like Suarez at Liverpool), or that he has to be informed of the offer and allowed to talk to the club or it could be that it has to be accepted if other conditions are met, for instance if made by a club in the Premiership or in a promotion position

A quick scan of your board shows that you had plenty of people valuing Barnes at about £1.5 million and yet he only had six months left on his contract. Yet many also seem to think Grabban isn't worth £1 million. Football fans are a funny lot :)

It's the same on every message board and with every clubs fans though so I guess nothing unusual.

As an aside, if any of you can be bothered go to an AFCB forum and go back in history to before the start of this season. I'd say Grabban was a player written off as a Championship player by virtually all our fans before a ball was kicked. Just shows how wrong we can be as fans. He's undoubtedly shown he is Championship class and could just be the player to push you over the line. However, you won't get him on the cheap and from the chat here, it sounds like you don't want to spend the money. Especially if Mason is available for £600k.

Good luck and so forth. I think this is a consolidating season for us and next season we'll really see what we're made of at this level. I'm hoping that's a positive thing and that we won't be left in a dog-fight at the bottom.

Well with much respect, as much as you have some very fair points, you are just "someone" on a football forum too. So where are you getting your information from regarding his buy out clause?

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
You all seem quite happy to take the word of the person on another message board who quoted a buy-out clause of £1.1 million but ignored the other on the same board that quoted it at £2.2 million. I have some news on that, and you can take this at face value or ignore it, I don't really mind. I'm afraid they're both wrong.

1. Grabban *did* have a buy-out clause of £1.1 million. Hence the reason a new contract was negotiated sharply in November when his form took off in the Championship

2. The new contract does have a clause in it but I believe it is slightly north of £2.5 million. There wouldn't have been much point in giving him a new contract if we didn't try to protect the investment

3. What my source didn't know is the exact wording of that clause but they understand it's a little less than straightforward. Speculating that could means lots of things from just that AFCB have to consider the offer (like Suarez at Liverpool), or that he has to be informed of the offer and allowed to talk to the club or it could be that it has to be accepted if other conditions are met, for instance if made by a club in the Premiership or in a promotion position

A quick scan of your board shows that you had plenty of people valuing Barnes at about £1.5 million and yet he only had six months left on his contract. Yet many also seem to think Grabban isn't worth £1 million. Football fans are a funny lot :)

It's the same on every message board and with every clubs fans though so I guess nothing unusual.

As an aside, if any of you can be bothered go to an AFCB forum and go back in history to before the start of this season. I'd say Grabban was a player written off as a Championship player by virtually all our fans before a ball was kicked. Just shows how wrong we can be as fans. He's undoubtedly shown he is Championship class and could just be the player to push you over the line. However, you won't get him on the cheap and from the chat here, it sounds like you don't want to spend the money. Especially if Mason is available for £600k.

Good luck and so forth. I think this is a consolidating season for us and next season we'll really see what we're made of at this level. I'm hoping that's a positive thing and that we won't be left in a dog-fight at the bottom.

The £1.1m release clause isn't off of an internet forum, it was reported by the local Argus newspaper which, for all its faults, does seem to have a culture of only releasing information from credible sources...

Edit/disclaimer at least the sports section does at any rate

modulate

Nov 23, 2013
The clause was reported in several media outlets and picked up here. Ito the best of my knowledge the media normally get this information from players representatives or agents so it's unlikely to be a figure plucked out of thin air

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The clause was reported in several media outlets and picked up here. Ito the best of my knowledge the media normally get this information from players representatives or agents so it's unlikely to be a figure plucked out of thin air

The chap isn't suggesting it is plucked from thin air, but that it is an out of date figure.

modulate

Nov 23, 2013
I was attempting to suggest that chances are we as a club have sounded out the players representatives and been.given that figure. Time will tell which is correct I guess

Urchin

Aug 1, 2011

Errmm...
[MENTION=14853]andy[/MENTION]NaylorArgus: #bhafc have now made a £1.1 million bid for Bournemouth's Lewis Grabban, triggering the release clause in his contract.

ozseagull

Jun 27, 2013

Nice post. Sounds like your source is duff though. Release clause triggered.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Well Naylor says we have a £1.1 m bid and that this triggers release clause.

Urchin

Aug 1, 2011
[MENTION=21557]ian[/MENTION]wadleyecho: The Echo understands that #afcb star Lewis Grabban is at The Amex to discuss personal terms with #bhafc. Deal could be done today if agreed.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
[MENTION=21557]ian[/MENTION]wadleyecho: The Echo understands that #afcb star Lewis Grabban is at The Amex to discuss personal terms with #bhafc. Deal could be done today if agreed.

Great news if true.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Wonder if it means we've struck a deal to sell Bridcutt to help fund this bid?

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

Sack the source! Say your goodbyes to Grabban cos it looks like we are about to Grabbim! Thanks for the info anyway. :)

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Don't get the signing to be honest, lot of money to spend on a back up striker rather spend the money on a winger or creative cent mid??

Is he not Barnes' replacement?

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales

Oh dear.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here