Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you want the words to Sussex by the Sea on the big screens before kick off?

Do you want the words to Sussex by the Sea on the big screens before kick off?

• Yes

Votes: 212 76.3%
  • No

Votes: 66 23.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
If you can't be arsed to learn them than you obviously don't share the passion for the club that others do

bit unfair on the young supporters isnt it,most kids seem to clap along with the der der der version quite happily

for the record i havnt got a clue off the top of my head what the correct words are,i have been a der der der der der der der dererrerrerr since 1976 and proud,im sure there are other der der der der derreres who would freely admit to such but now feel oppressed .

#jesuisderderderderderderder

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
c. 80% in favour at the moment is pleasing but Barber and his cronies (i.e. Paul Beirne) are such tw@ts for misreading this so badly...

People are understandably confused by thoughts of the "plasticity" associated with words on a screen at a football match but this HAS GOT NOTHING TO DO WITH THAT ISSUE

Our club is currently undergoing a transformation from homespun with the fans in touch to absolute corporate market forces bollocks and big picture economics driving...

To make full use of "Sussex By The Sea", and the original words, to foster an old fashioned pride in our club and connection to our roots is so blindingly obviously a massive opportunity it is crushingly frustrating that a Tottenham "suit" like Barber is making key decisions based on hopelessly flawed information.

Sussex By The Sea pre kick off is currently a bit crap. The away fans are barely aware it is happening or of any significance.

FFS PLEASE CAN IT BE GIVEN PROPER PRIORITY AND BE SORTED OUT?

Crucially, who are the real Brighton fans who have any influence? (apart from Tony Bloom, who I suspect is a bit of a pragmatist in personality terms and not really in tune with the more emotive feelings of the "terraces"...)

All of this.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
bit unfair on the young supporters isnt it,most kids seem to clap along with the der der der version quite happily

for the record i havnt got a clue off the top of my head what the correct words are,i have been a der der der der der der der dererrerrerr since 1976 and proud,im sure there are other der der der der derreres who would freely admit to such but now feel oppressed .

#jesuisderderderderderderder

I've been a happy "der der der...and we're going up to win the cup..etc" for 31 years. I don't want to change and sing the "right" words now and I certainly don't want those words on the screen. It's not karaoke. If that makes me a bad fan then tough.

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
It's the der der der dering that's killing the song, people should sing the words.
Do you hear West Ham humming their way through bubbles, even Palace sing the words to their crappy tune, we should all be singing the correct words, loud and proud.
So if words on the screen help an entire stadium sing the correct words, then I think it's a good thing.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
We used to be taught the words at school. That doesn't happen anymore.

So I'm in the yes crowd of getting the words on the screen (which I wasn't when this discussion was originally voiced).

It works well at Cardiff and Derby. Also, why have they stopped turning the tune off half way through, that worked really wel.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Yes, to both words and turning the tune off.

For those that don't want the words - a minority as it stands - couldn't you just not look at the screens for 1 minute?

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Yes, to both words and turning the tune off.

For those that don't want the words - a minority as it stands - couldn't you just not look at the screens for 1 minute?

It's a fair point. I don't particularly want the words on the screen because I think it's all a bit naff but if the majority do then I won't lose any sleep over it.

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
Voted yes - but it should not be forever. We have attracted a lot of new fans over the last few years, many of which do not know the words. There needs to be a "critical mass", above which people will be able to pick it up from their neighbour. Once at this point, we can drop the words, and replace with some emotive video of our past and the history of the song.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
On my admittedly rare visits, I have heard loads of people singing der der der der (repeated ) so vote yes for me.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
I think SBTS pre match is ok.

Perhaps rehearsals pre match on the concourse, with words on the screens and people signing along with beers to help them concentrate?

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Do you hear West Ham humming their way through bubbles, even Palace sing the words to their crappy tune

thick as they might be and rather prone to biological dimness due to shagging cousins and close family members in fairness to CPFC they have mastered remembering the crucial line "glad all over" without needing to post reminders on the big screen,from what i understand though this has been an intellectual battle in south london and the worzels might yet win the day and the words"glad all over" will indeed be on the screen as a prominent reminder of "glad all over" to those who are unsure of their club anthem.

for other people here is their club anthem

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
It's a fair point. I don't particularly want the words on the screen because I think it's all a bit naff but if the majority do then I won't lose any sleep over it.
Think it's far naffer that most of us don't know the proper words, and I include myself in that category as, even at away games, you rarely (clearly) hear anyone sing anything other than 'der der der der' etc. However, I reckon it would take less than half a season of home games before everyone had learnt them and the words on the screen became redundant.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
In Max Hastings "Nemisis: the battle for Asia in WW2" there's a lovely couple of lines about Burma being retaken from the Japs and how the Royal Sussex Regt hauled their artillery and so forth over almost impassable terrain singing the county anthem "Sussex by the Sea" as they drove the enemy back.

Makes you proud :)

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
YES. Even if you do not agree with the concept at least it (should) keep people in time. Really do not get the issue with having the words up at all.

Why not ask Barber to try it for one game to see how it goes down.

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
Personally I'd like to see the first 2 verses sung and then the chorus, I know this would be asking too much but it would sound fantastic reverberating around Amex. Definitely words on screen so people can learn them and turn the music off half way through so it's just singing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here