Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Claridge: 'Ref's decision could cost Boro promotion'

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Ahhh, the selective memory of the football fan :lolol:

We're all conditioned to remember the events that affect us negatively far more than the moments when things go according to plan, and thus cause us to carry on as we would wish to. You will never convince me that these things don't eventually even themselves out, despite what Aitor Karanka would have you believe.

Boro fans complaining about that goal not being given would do well to reflect on another winner they scored (was it at QPR??) which clearly was offside, and wasn't flagged. It's so one-eyed to blame an official for a failure to achieve your aim, particularly in a game when you had enough chances to win it comfortably. Jordan Rhodes- yes, £9m Jordan Rhodes, missed a couple of simple chances in that game, yet nobody seems to be pointing the finger at him. No, it's all the poor linesman's fault. As for saying they have no luck, come off it! Their first goal was the luckiest tap in of the season. It comes and goes.

I'd genuinely say the same if it was us, by the way, annoying though these decisions are at the time. I heard somebody saying last week that it looked like that last minute equaliser by Burnley was going to cost us automatic promotion. I can understand why people say it, but really, that last minute goal was no more significant than any other equaliser we've let in. No more significant than Milton Keynes spanking a 93rd minute penalty wide either. We've had good fortune- Dunk clattering Samir Carruthers at the Amex in one of the most obvious penalties I've ever seen not given; and bad, where the same opponents were gifted that spot kick at Stadium:MK. Bad luck= Barton not getting sent off, and then winning the late free kick from which Burnley scored. Good luck: the moment in the same game where the ball looked like it crossed the line and wasn't given.

Same as it ever was :)

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
You have to feel for the Lino. He has made an honest error that cost a goal.
In his head at that time he knew the player was offside, hence the flag. He cannot give his side of events which is a shame.
He's not bent or corrupted, no brown bags crossed the table, just an honest working mistake.

Some Boro fan on Twitter last night was complaining because he claimed the chap was from Lancashire. The implication being that he must have made the decision so as to favour Burnley.

Because of course, coming from Lancashire obviously means you're nailed on to be a Burnley fan, doesn't it, as opposed to Man United, Man City, Oldham, Rochdale, Preston, Bolton, Blackpool, Fleetwood, Morecambe, Bury, Stockport, Liverpool, Everton, Accrington, Wigan or even friggin AFC Fylde :facepalm:

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Some Boro fan on Twitter last night was complaining because he claimed the chap was from Lancashire. The implication being that he must have made the decision so as to favour Burnley.

Because of course, coming from Lancashire obviously means you're nailed on to be a Burnley fan, doesn't it, as opposed to Man United, Man City, Oldham, Rochdale, Preston, Bolton, Blackpool, Fleetwood, Morecambe, Bury, Stockport, Liverpool, Everton, Accrington, Wigan or even friggin AFC Fylde :facepalm:

Or Blackburn!

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill

We're all conditioned to remember the events that affect us negatively far more than the moments when things go according to plan, and thus cause us to carry on as we would wish to. You will never convince me that these things don't eventually even themselves out, despite what Aitor Karanka would have you believe.

Boro fans complaining about that goal not being given would do well to reflect on another winner they scored (was it at QPR??) which clearly was offside, and wasn't flagged. It's so one-eyed to blame an official for a failure to achieve your aim, particularly in a game when you had enough chances to win it comfortably. Jordan Rhodes- yes, £9m Jordan Rhodes, missed a couple of simple chances in that game, yet nobody seems to be pointing the finger at him. No, it's all the poor linesman's fault. As for saying they have no luck, come off it! Their first goal was the luckiest tap in of the season. It comes and goes.

I'd genuinely say the same if it was us, by the way, annoying though these decisions are at the time. I heard somebody saying last week that it looked like that last minute equaliser by Burnley was going to cost us automatic promotion. I can understand why people say it, but really, that last minute goal was no more significant than any other equaliser we've let in. No more significant than Milton Keynes spanking a 93rd minute penalty wide either. We've had good fortune- Dunk clattering Samir Carruthers at the Amex in one of the most obvious penalties I've ever seen not given; and bad, where the same opponents were gifted that spot kick at Stadium:MK. Bad luck= Barton not getting sent off, and then winning the late free kick from which Burnley scored. Good luck: the moment in the same game where the ball looked like it crossed the line and wasn't given.

Pretty much this. There have been many, many incidents this season for all three sides. I am just taking we are where we are, let's deal with it. Overall, 'Boro and Burnely should act likewise. Didn't QPR have a perfectly good 'un disallowed for wrongly given a goal kick?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Enough of this common sense. Us football fans are passionate, you know.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls

He actually comes from West Yorkshire! The 'Boro fan will be disappointed :D

Taken from the Football League website: NIELD, T (Tom) - West Yorkshire

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Fact was it was never a free kick (given by same Lino) that led to the "goal" so justice was done in the end.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Rhodes even did his best to miss when the keeper handed the ball to him one yard out. If he hadn't fallen over he might have managed to put it wide.

Apr 5, 2016
Fact was it was never a free kick (given by same Lino) that led to the "goal" so justice was done in the end.

Neither was it a free kick that lead to their goal at our place. Their luck finally ran out last night. I've never seen a team get as many scabby, flukey goal (cue besides Burnley comments) Boro have flattered to deceive of late. After their 93rd minute goal against Hull that ended their dreadful run they have had a very favourable run of fixtures, particularly the three in s row easy home games followed by Bolton away.

Now, they have come up against 3 good sides in a row, they've won none of them. Next up, they play the second best side in the league, who are in their best form.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It shouldn't have been a free-kick to Middlesbrough in the first place.

And even if it should have, this would only make up for QPR's disallowed goal against them.

So, in summary, they can **** off.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I think the lino got it right.
The Sky mob all called it wrong, but if you take into account the camera angle, Ayala was flagged after checking and coming back one step before
taking the shot.
Look at the grass cut and he was a IMHO ahead of the defender and the two Boro players tha Sky said he was behind.
Anybody got a screen shot of the Sky still from after the match, if so lok at the angle compared to the linos position.
My guess (as you say, the angle right so I'm not sure) is that he was onside, but as you say, he just stepped back from an offside position, so if the lino did get it wrong it's understandable. It certainly wasn't the terrible decision they were suggesting.

Worzel was banging on about the lino not seeing the Birmingham defender :facepalm:

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Offside. As an earlier poster said look at the mower lines. Camera angle makes him look onside.

cd32be512ba97f676abec2134f3f43d4.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here