Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southern Rail STRIKE details

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I have today had it confirmed to me directly by my manager that any train can now leave without an OBS without any exceptional circumstances at all. Southern can do what they like.

i'll say it again, that's a consequence of RMT walking away from negotiation that may have held Southern to something. i know you dont see it that way, here we are.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
was called in to the boss's office this morning for a chat about the train situation, thought 'oh shit, here we go', exact opposite, they appreciate how difficult my commute (Btn to Lewes) has been and have told me to just do what I can basically and they will be flexible with my hours. Huge relief .... phew. It's taken the dispute to go National though.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Oh FFS! I was anticipating going to the office on Monday for the first time since Dec 20th only to find out just now there is a bloody tube strike on Monday with no Victoria line service anticipated at all! Not a lot of bloody help when I work in Tottenham :rant:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Oh FFS! I was anticipating going to the office on Monday for the first time since Dec 20th only to find out just now there is a bloody tube strike on Monday with no Victoria line service anticipated at all! Not a lot of bloody help when I work in Tottenham :rant:
thanks for that, somehow missed this. may as well WFH all week. wonder if we get delay repay on Tube strikes?

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
My Mrs bought us tickets to the o2 for Sunday nights Impractical Jokers live show for Christmas.

The ASLEF and RMT actions have completely ****ed it up for us. No trains to London and no underground either.

****ing *****.

I can't see any way for us to get either there or back unless one of us drives. I am so ****** off right now. Been looking forward to it for MONTHS.

Gutted and angry right now.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Mick should travel on the Thameslink network and count the number of staff at stations on the Wimbledon loop other than Sutton and Wimbledon, and stations between Haywards Heath and Brighton.

Yup, never any at my local station but we all usually manage to get on and off ok.

Nigella's Cream Pie

Fingerlickin good
Apr 2, 2009
Up your alley

Walk or bus from London Bridge to Liverpool St. station, from there train takes 12 mins to Tottenham Hale

Yoda

English & European
My Mrs bought us tickets to the o2 for Sunday nights Impractical Jokers live show for Christmas.

The ASLEF and RMT actions have completely ****ed it up for us. No trains to London and no underground either.

****ing *****.

I can't see any way for us to get either there or back unless one of us drives. I am so ****** off right now. Been looking forward to it for MONTHS.

I think you'll find Sunday is engineering works between Brighton & Three Bridges, but go ahead and blame the unions for that why don't you.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I have today had it confirmed to me directly by my manager that any train can now leave without an OBS without any exceptional circumstances at all. Southern can do what they like. And if I'm driving one of the increasing numbers of trains without an OBS and there is a wheelchair waiting I am to leave them behind. Modernisation my arse.

What a load of bollocks that is (again, Southern stance, not your post) - assume Southern have considered potential disability discrimination claims ??

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

****ing *****.

As has already been pointed out the trains is the usual routine maintenance so you should be able to get to London using a replacement bus for part of the journey? Get the train to London Bridge and then the River Bus boat from London Bridge to the o2. I did this for a Metallica gig when the tube was shut down and it was a fun way to get to and from the venue.

http://www.theo2.co.uk/visit-us/getting-here/river-bus

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
I think you'll find Sunday is engineering works between Brighton & Three Bridges, but go ahead and blame the unions for that why don't you.

Seeing as there is industrial action by the unions that has ****ed the underground on Sunday and monday then yes I will thankyou.

As has already been pointed out the trains is the usual routine maintenance so you should be able to get to London using a replacement bus for part of the journey? Get the train to London Bridge and then the River Bus boat from London Bridge to the o2. I did this for a Metallica gig when the tube was shut down and it was a fun way to get to and from the venue.

http://www.theo2.co.uk/visit-us/getting-here/river-bus

That has been recommended to me by a friend. I've been trying to look and can't see if these boats run back to London Bridge past about 10pm on a Sunday night. The issue I have is that I'm studying an HNC at college on day release and can't afford to miss a day as Monday is college day otherwise I would have booked it off and taken my chances.

The last time I went to London on a Sunday night I went to a kasabian gig at Wembley arena about 6-7years ago. Missed the 11.30 train and had to wait for the 01.00. Got to Brighton at 02.30 and in bed at 03.15. Had to be at work for 7am. Ruined me for a few days. Can't do that again.

I was hoping to be home by 12.30-01.00 and going in to college with a slight hangover.

My morning is split with Analytical Methods for Engineers and Engineering Science. Two advanced heavy maths subjects I need to be mostly compus mentus for.

Using rail replacement busses is a)risky and b)shit.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Seeing as there is industrial action by the unions that has ****ed the underground on Sunday and monday then yes I will thankyou.

That has been recommended to me by a friend. I've been trying to look and can't see if these boats run back to London Bridge past about 10pm on a Sunday night. The issue I have is that I'm studying an HNC at college on day release and can't afford to miss a day as Monday is college day otherwise I would have booked it off and taken my chances.

The last time I went to London on a Sunday night I went to a kasabian gig at Wembley arena about 6-7years ago. Missed the 11.30 train and had to wait for the 01.00. Got to Brighton at 02.30 and in bed at 03.15. Had to be at work for 7am. Ruined me for a few days. Can't do that again.

I was hoping to be home by 12.30-01.00 and going in to college with a slight hangover.

My morning is split with Analytical Methods for Engineers and Engineering Science. Two advanced heavy maths subjects I need to be mostly compus mentus for.

Using rail replacement busses is a)risky and b)shit.

Think the last Clipper from the O2 to London Bridge is 10.30pm

http://www.thamesclippers.com/assets/doc/MBNAThamesClippers_OnlineTimetable_Jan_2017-c440c2cb3f.pdf

However, Jubilee line may not be too badly affected by the tube strike (often isn't) so getting back to London Bridge may not be too difficult.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
What a load of bollocks that is (again, Southern stance, not your post) - assume Southern have considered potential disability discrimination claims ??

I honestly think they couldn't care less. With the government on their side who cares about about those who may need a little help with their travel - something a few people who are used to commuting and know what they are doing could do with remembering.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I honestly think they couldn't care less. With the government on their side who cares about about those who may need a little help with their travel - something a few people who are used to commuting and know what they are doing could do with remembering.

[emoji106][emoji106]

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Where is Margaret when you need her? It's time these Marxist dinosaurs were invited to another ground-zero party where the next asteroid is due to impact.

Ooh I'm a Marxist dinosaur. There was me thinking I was chucking my wages down the drain fighting for something I genuinely and passionately believe in but if you think the best railway is one where cutting back safety trained staff to the bare minimum and where the safest forms of working are chucked away so shareholders can get richer then carry on with the insults.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
And I hear tonight that 2 disabled passengers were assisted onto the 23.00 train from Barnham to Brighton wanting Worthing. As there was no OBS on board so no one to help them off at Worthing they were offloaded and had to wait for the 2320 which goes via Littlehampton but does have a guard. I think this sort of thing is worth fighting against.

Winker

CUM ON FEEL THE NOIZE
Jul 14, 2008
The Astral Planes, man...
Ooh I'm a Marxist dinosaur. There was me thinking I was chucking my wages down the drain fighting for something I genuinely and passionately believe in but if you think the best railway is one where cutting back safety trained staff to the bare minimum and where the safest forms of working are chucked away so shareholders can get richer then carry on with the insults.

As a 'customer', when I buy a ticket for a train journey, I expect the train to arrive on time and deposit me at my destination on time. If you have a problem with the working practices of your company then please take it out with them. When you take your grievances out on the travelling public then don't expect any support from us.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here