Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bear Grylls

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Though not as skilled a outdoorsman as Ray mears who actually teaches the SAS survival skills.

True, Ray Mears is in a league of his own. Lives near Worthing I think, often seen him in the Italian near the seafront, he likes a meal that one.
He how police track fugitives as well. He went after Raoul Moate before Gazza turned up with chips.

Last edited:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Ha ha. That film is completely fake and proves the point that he's a total liar about his climbing abilities!

We get it, you don't like the bloke. Are you suggesting that he never climbed Everest or Ama Dablam?

As for his shows, I think most people realize they are just that, shows for entertainment. Pretty much like all reality shows.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
From what I gave heard from those that have met him through the scouting movement, he is very down to earth and a nice guy.

However when comes to the great outdoors I'm in camp Mears. I once spent time in the Arctic learning survival techniques and was told by a Royal Marine mountain leader that if it's a drama ' you're doing it f**king wrong', calm and collected is the way to go. The other point that was always made was don't put yourself in a bad situation in the first place, make sure you have the right kit etc and plan for all eventualities.
Ray Mears ticks all the boxes and to be honest his programmes are much more informative. The only problem is that they aren't that exciting because in reality they shouldn't be.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
From what I know of Bear Grylls, there are two sides to his career.
He makes lively, probably exaggerated, quick edit, entertainment shows that demonstrate how to survive in EXTREME worst case scenarios and the shows play to his ego and the adventurous side of fans.

He is also a genuine adventurer and while some may not like his TV personality I think it's indisputable that he has achieved some hardcore things in his life. His expeditions are very well organised, sponsored and executed. The Royal Navy sponsored his antarctic ocean crossing so he is probably held in regard by the military to some degree.

However, if I was ever stuck in the wilderness with someone, I'd rather it be Mears then Grylls.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
He makes lively, probably exaggerated, quick edit, entertainment shows that demonstrate how to survive in EXTREME worst case scenarios and the shows play to his ego and the adventurous side of fans.

He is also a genuine adventurer and while some may not like his TV personality I think it's indisputable that he has achieved some hardcore things in his life. His expeditions are very well organised, sponsored and executed. The Royal Navy sponsored his antarctic ocean crossing so he is probably held in regard by the military to some degree.

However, if I was ever stuck in the wilderness with someone, I'd rather it be Mears then Grylls.

Not sure about this: I suspect that Mears might eat you.

simmo

Feb 8, 2008

If you like shows with Ray Mears and Bear Grylls, then I would recommend Marooned with Ed Stafford. I think it is on National Geographic....Ed is just dropped in an inhospitable area with nothing...and I mean nothing. It used to be called naked and marooned with Ed Stafford, but now for decency they allow him a pair of shorts. Mears and Bear have tools like knives, water bottles, flints, rucksacks, Ed basically uses the resources available to try and survive and thrive. You can see with Ed that something as simple as shoes are critical when you don't have them.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
However when comes to the great outdoors I'm in camp Mears.

Foolhardy..............i am in camp both,whilst it's accepted that incorrect advice is perhaps worse than no advice,out there,in the wild i would take all the help and advice i could get.....i don't prejudice one against the other.....they are both great in my book.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
If you like shows with Ray Mears and Bear Grylls, then I would recommend Marooned with Ed Stafford. I think it is on National Geographic....Ed is just dropped in an inhospitable area with nothing...and I mean nothing. It used to be called naked and marooned with Ed Stafford, but now for decency they allow him a pair of shorts. Mears and Bear have tools like knives, water bottles, flints, rucksacks, Ed basically uses the resources available to try and survive and thrive. You can see with Ed that something as simple as shoes are critical when you don't have them.
I've seen that, it's good viewing! Anyway bears show with the celebs was alright last night. Ps my nick name is Simmo. .

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here