Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lanzarote advice

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Love it in PDC, going again in October

Restaurants plentiful, loads on the strip and in the old town. Most do a special menu where you can get a starter and main for under €10. If you like steak then try a place called Maritoni - small place on the front that looks nothing from the outside but it's always busy at night and the fillet is awesome for about €13.

Most places offer a special breakfast for under €3 which includes sausage, bacon, egg, beans and a brew so you can't go wrong really - just have a look at which places are busier and have a squizz on people's plates.

Drinking is reasonable. Nice to have a beer facing the see at Ruta 66 where Heineken is about €2.50/pint and the cocktails are decent for about €5 in the day. Most places show the footy so if you're there for the euros that'll be a bonus.

One thing I really like about the place is that it's 5 mins from the airport and taxis are about €15.

Defo do the Timanfaya tour - we hired a car last year and did that followed by some tapas in a village in the middle of nowhere.

Have a good time bud, like someone said before it's the best canary island imo

That is the kind of post I was hoping for thank you because despite what people say about trip advisor it is good if you are wanting reviews on specific restaurants or hotels but not as a general guide to the area and what is available.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Canary Islands = a short flight for a nice cheap winter sunshine break only. And, even then I would carefully choose which resort on which island.

Yeah but BG is going in JUNE !!
Unless you like it fecking hot that is NOT the best time of year to go to the Canaries ....

BG, if you haven't already, suggest you go online and check out seasonal temperatures -might put you off .....

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
PDC market day is Friday, down by the old harbour. Plenty of places down there where you can get a full fry up for a couple of euros beforehand.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
That is the kind of post I was hoping for thank you because despite what people say about trip advisor it is good if you are wanting reviews on specific restaurants or hotels but not as a general guide to the area and what is available.

???

I've always found Trip Advisor very informative and pretty comprehensive on every aspect of when I'm going. There's almost too much on there, I can end up spending hours trawling through the reviews of everything about the hotel and resort.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
???

I've always found Trip Advisor very informative and pretty comprehensive on every aspect of when I'm going. There's almost too much on there, I can end up spending hours trawling through the reviews of everything about the hotel and resort.

I'm always drawn towards clicking on the 'Terrible' reviews of a hotel, especially if the vast majority seem to find the place OK. Comments are usually from somewhere like Dewsbury and along the lines that for three days running, the cleaners had failed to flush the loo in the guest's all-inclusive room.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'm always drawn towards clicking on the 'Terrible' reviews of a hotel, especially if the vast majority seem to find the place OK. Comments are usually from somewhere like Dewsbury and along the lines that for three days running, the cleaners had failed to flush the loo in the guest's all-inclusive room.

I always find reviews of terrible hotels remarkably addictive.

I stayed in an absolute HOVEL in Turkey many years ago (Sun Gezgin, Marmaris in case you're wondering). The missus booked it up as a cheap last-minute jobbie. Absolutely horrific. I've not checked it for many a year, but the Trip Advisor reviews on that place I remember as being something to behold.

The staff slept on moth-eaten sofas out the back.

essbee

Jan 5, 2005

I stayed in an absolute HOVEL in Turkey many years ago (Sun Gezgin, Marmaris in case you're wondering). The missus booked it up as a cheap last-minute jobbie. Absolutely horrific. I've not checked it for many a year, but the Trip Advisor reviews on that place I remember as being something to behold.

There's some B&Bs in Kemp Town like that,

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

I went to the only hotel in El Cotillo, Fuerteventura a couple of years back. Duly reported back on Trip Advisor that five minutes after the restaurant opened for breakfast, the food (incl. eggs, bacon etc.) was all cold. Hotel's response was that there was no problem, there was a microwave provided in the restaurant for those requiring hot food. Never went back, tho checked out the reviews recently.The microwave's still there.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
It's true that however good a hotel is there will always be some illiterate numpties leaving 1*/"terrible" reviews.

Generally along the lines of "people who could speek Spanish was treated better than us English by the rude staff!" after they've spent a week shouting "oi Pedro! Three more beers!" at a barman who then dared to be slightly more friendly to people with more than the one brain cell.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
3 of us are going to Peurto Del Carmen in June and would be grateful for any guides as to eating out, good or bad, and average price we would expect to pay.

Hi BG,
As promised I have a little review of our first trip to Lanzaote. Firstly, we stayed at Costa Teguise and only passed through Puerto Del Carmen so I can't offer much advice on your resort, except that your resort is by far the largest and most popular on the island. Eating out is not a problem and is really quite reasonable and varied. Prices for a beer start from 1euro and a full english ( if that's your fancy ) from 3 euros. If you decide to go out for a meal and drink and depending on your taste you can eat out for 2 from 20 euros ( either pizza/ fish+chips/ pie&mash and a couple of drinks ) and spend a bit more ( around 40 eurs ) for a couple of steak meals or fresh fish with drinks if you're feeling flush. The island itself is very small ( 37 miles by 16 miles ) and being volcanic has large areas covered by lava flow which gives it a lunar/other world feel. As the mountains on the island are not that tall the clouds tend to hang around a lot longer than they would than if you were on say Tenerife or Gran Canaria, where the larger mountains help move the clouds on ( this nugget of information was given to me by one of our tour guides ). Plenty to do on the island if you're into sight seeing but the trip I most recommend would be a full island coach tour, ( not cheap at 45 euros per person ) it involves going East to West and North to South, takes about 8 or 9 hours and plenty of places of interest. A few of which include designs by Cesar Manrique such as Jameos del Agua and Monumento & Museo del Campesino and the route taken around Timanfaya National Park.
The tour also includes wine tasting, lunch and as I mentioned the tour of Timanfaya National Park, a must if only for the butt clenching coach tour around on the highest mountain ( narrow road and shear drops and a huge round of applause for the driver) and experiments to show you the power of the active lava flow beneath the Islote de Hilario and optional camel ride if you so wish. I must ssy for our first visit we were highly impressed with the island and would definitely go back. Buses are frequent and cheap and there is a main market on a Sunday in Teguise - a different area than Costa Teguise and buses or coaches will take you there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here