Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T Brighton beach gets wireless web

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
A group of internet enthusiasts have given a new meaning to the expression of surfing on the beach.

Would you like to work on the beach?
They have set up a wireless network in the English seaside town of Brighton so that you can browse the web or read your e-mails while you soak up the sunshine.

The service, called PiertoPier, is being offered free to anyone who has the right gear and relies on volunteers and donations to keep it alive.

"We all live in Brighton and we want to work on the beach," explained Alex Studd of internet provider Moving Edge which is backing the project.

The organisers have been talking about taking the web to the beach for some time.

But it was only some five months ago when they started work on making this into a reality.

Free as air

The network went into beta testing at the beginning of July and the backers say they expect to have a full service available within a month.

The cost of internet connectivity is becoming cheaper by the month so we don't anticipate any problems

Alex Studd, Moving Edge
There is growing interest in wireless technology, called wi-fi, which allows people to connect to the internet at broadband speeds without the need to plug in any cables.

Currently there are about 1,000 so-called public hotspots available throughout Europe in places such as airports, cafes and hotel lobbies. In most cases, these charge for a connection.

By contrast, the idea behind PiertoPier is to make the net as free as the air. It is backed by various internet access and software companies in the Brighton area.

These sponsors have paid for the computer hardware and have donated the internet bandwidth, while volunteers provide the necessary support.

All in all, the cost of setting up wi-fi on Brighton beach has been less than £1,000.

"We like to be cost-effective as we can do more," explained Mr Studd. "In a place like Brighton where there is high connectivity, we can write off the cost."

marvin

Jul 5, 2003
The corner quietly rusting
can they extend this to withdean than i can connect me lap top via wifi to the net to upload pics.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
I doubt it Marvin. Withdean residents will put a stop to it as it might cause interference to their pacemakers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here