Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Firing Squads and Gas Chambers

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I think it's a view that you hold today............
It really is a widely shared view, I did the dissertation to my Masters Degree on this very subject.

Although, I'm not sure what relevance the decision to use the atomic bombs have to the current American difficulties in sourcing the drugs for lethal injections.

Sent from my E2303 using Tapatalk

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
It really is a widely shared view, I did the dissertation to my Masters Degree on this very subject.

Although, I'm not sure what relevance the decision to use the atomic bombs have to the current American difficulties in sourcing the drugs for lethal injections.

Sent from my E2303 using Tapatalk

So widely shared that the only people that know of it are those doing a very obscure adult education course?

topbanana36

Dec 29, 2007
New Zealand
Why are we looking to get closer to America, with the ongoing issues with lethal injections, Mississippi is looking to death by firing squad, electrocution and gas chambers as new execution methods.

A bill has passed the state's house and will now go to the Senate for further discussion.

All this to ensure that inmates can be put to death without violating the constitutional prohibitions against cruel and unusual punishment.

Personally i would have thought that death is cruel but 33 states still have the death penalty.

Welcome to Trump's American home of the gun and the wall.

Shame we don't have the death penalty for likes of Roy whiting, Ian Brady etc as what they did was beyond cruel.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Surely if the death penalty is a deterrent (as the bring-back-hanging brigade always claim), no-one would need to be executed?

The death penalty isn't a deterrent. Never has been, never will be.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
There is always the North Korean alternative

ZPU-4-anti-aircraft-guns.jpg

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...ly-executes-officials-anti-aircraft-gun-purge

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The death penalty isn't a deterrent. Never has been, never will be.
On the other hand, as there is no way of recording it, we can never know how many people were deterred in the past by the existence of the death penalty. And there can never be any definitive evidence to prove that no person, ever, wasn't deterred.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
What if we have a mass cull of anyone that's appeared on Jeremy kyle in the past 10 years? I know it's genocide but it's a start right?

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
What if we have a mass cull of anyone that's appeared on Jeremy kyle in the past 10 years? I know it's genocide but it's a start right?

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk
So long as we also include everybody who boasts about their fancy mobile phone every time they post on chat sites!
:thumbsup:

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
It has been said that the Soviet Union was on the verge of defeating Japan and the first bomb wasn't even necessary.

The bomb was most likely dropped so the US could claim the victory before the USSR. I think this is a view that many historians share today.

A demonstration was high on the list of options. Very difficult to do and I understand was believed after a lot of study that it would not have worked in terms of moving to unconditional surrender. Truman was hawkish but there were many more considered minds involved.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
So long as we also include everybody who boasts about their fancy mobile phone every time they post on chat sites!
[emoji106]
I can't be arsed to keep pressing that button every time I post, I do have a life you know..

There I done it this time but just for you [emoji106]

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
A demonstration was high on the list of options. Very difficult to do and I understand was believed after a lot of study that it would not have worked in terms of moving to unconditional surrender. Truman was hawkish but there were many more considered minds involved.

And the second bomb?

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
malaysia , indonesia , china , saudi , yemen , qatar , oman also have the death penalty in operation.....where as i know for a fact you would not want to be in a jail in egypt , morocco , nigeria or most of the sub saharan countries.....also south of mexico is pretty grim ......ffs get over this bollox....8 billion %@nts on the planet ...who gives a shit if a few thousand crims get it.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I find it very strange that the abominable acts that America did in the dropping of the two bombs seems to have been deemed as acceptable by history. The second bomb was a different type so they could test it against the first and see it's effect on live subjects!

I'm sure the correct deterrent for continued hostilities would have been a live test on a remote island as a warning then saying to Japan the next one is on you unless you surrender.

However then they wouldn't have known what the true effect on humans would be.

It has been said that the Soviet Union was on the verge of defeating Japan and the first bomb wasn't even necessary.

The bomb was most likely dropped so the US could claim the victory before the USSR. I think this is a view that many historians share today.

Seeing the amount of devastation that the first bomb did to Hiroshima, and the large number of civilian deaths that occurred as a result, why didn't the Japanese surrender before the 2nd bomb was dropped 3 days later?

Orders for atomic bombs to be used on four Japanese cities were issued on July 25. On August 6, the U.S. dropped a uranium gun-type (Little Boy) bomb on Hiroshima, and American President Harry S. Truman called for Japan's surrender, warning it to "expect a rain of ruin from the air, the like of which has never been seen on this earth." Three days later, on August 9, a plutonium implosion-type (Fat Man) bomb was dropped on Nagasaki.

Why would they have surrendered if these bombs had been used on a remote uninhabited island instead of the city of on the city of Hiroshima? especially seeing that the Japanese decided to fight on until after a 2nd bomb was dropped on Nagasaki.

It also ignores the fanatical behavior and the unwillingness to surrender or be captured and the fight to the death attitude that was the mind set of the Japanese at the time, and also ignores how many civilians may have been killed (as well as troops on both sides) during fighting to conquer the whole of Japan by conventional forces instead (I'm sure there is footage of civilians killing themselves rather than surrendering after the Emperor had announced the end of the war and the countries surrender) - the death totals could have been far higher if this wasn't used.

It doesn't make the fact that it was the cities (and therefore civilians) who were targeted right, but what about the other similar tactics used to try to force a surrender? such as the firebombing of cities in Japan which were known to be made of paper and wood and would burn rapidly and cause mass civilian casualties

The use of the bomb was (possibly a very reluctant) way to try to get a side that would rather fight on and be wiped out, to surrender and end hostilities. It certainly saved the lives of a lot of troops (be they USSR or US) and possibly more civilian lives than were lost in those nuclear bombings due to the surrender rather than fierce fighting that would have been needed to take the islands (look at how many troops and civilians were killed in Europe or even from more recent conflicts like Syria) so was it really only about trying to beat the USSR in getting the japanese to surrender

It could also be argued that the use of these bombs meant that the cold war never became any more than a stand off between the 2 sides as the USSR knew that the US would be completely willing to drop these weapons on targets should it have escalated into a real war and therefore another world war could have occurred by now without these weapons previous use

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Why are we looking to get closer to America, with the ongoing issues with lethal injections, Mississippi is looking to death by firing squad, electrocution and gas chambers as new execution methods.

A bill has passed the state's house and will now go to the Senate for further discussion.

All this to ensure that inmates can be put to death without violating the constitutional prohibitions against cruel and unusual punishment.

Personally i would have thought that death is cruel but 33 states still have the death penalty.

Welcome to Trump's American home of the gun and the wall.

The use of the death penalty has been happening for decades in the US, Trump has been in power for 2 weeks so not quite sure how he can be blamed

The whole US death penalty thing is a bit bizarre to me, they are a mainly Christian and believe in what the bible preaches which should teach that only god can judge, that charity and helping you fellow man is important and things like thou shall not kill, etc but they are seemingly very vindictive by nature

They seemingly value having their hard earned money in their pockets more than helping those in need (like Obamacare is meant to help those who were unable to get insurance before)

They see others as a threat to them rather than the 'love thy neighbour' the bible preaches (such as calling the cops if someone is walking about along the street near their home, or in some cases shooting them out of fear)

And so on.... Most of this seems to stem from how the media portrays things like crime (from the tv shows that make it over here showing real footage) but there could also be down to things like their historical use of slave labour and (if the thing i recently saw was correct) that prisoners are basically a source of slave labour and are responsible for producing a lot of goods. This means that the prison sentences are usually quite long compared to other countries of similar offences because there could be a benefit to the system (and possibly rich Americans getting richer) as a result of stiffer penalties, all under the guise of being tough on crime and criminals in the name of public safety. Then there are associated industries also benefiting, like the gun industry

Apparently there are a lot of Americans struggling to get by, working multiple jobs and still barely above the poverty line so it's of little surprise that a lot turn to crime to improve their lot in life or just to survive and therefore this feeds the cycle of the need for tough laws to protect and long prison sentences for those who are caught.

Trump is planning to boost jobs, and in turn boost pay for a lot of workers by bringing jobs back to the US rather than losing them to places like Mexico in the hope that more jobs and higher incomes = lower poverty and less crime, etc.... and they need to stop the media being such a source of fear and exaggerate things as badly as they do (one US reality programme i saw had footage of a March for England type event where the footage was edited in such a way that it was supposed to represent a large scale riot (guy running around waving a flag) and not the truth that there were about 20 people taking part there and outnumbered by Police)

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Seeing the amount of devastation that the first bomb did to Hiroshima, and the large number of civilian deaths that occurred as a result, why didn't the Japanese surrender before the 2nd bomb was dropped 3 days later?

Why would they have surrendered if these bombs had been used on a remote uninhabited island instead of the city of on the city of Hiroshima? especially seeing that the Japanese decided to fight on until after a 2nd bomb was dropped on Nagasaki.

It also ignores the fanatical behavior and the unwillingness to surrender or be captured and the fight to the death attitude that was the mind set of the Japanese at the time, and also ignores how many civilians may have been killed (as well as troops on both sides) during fighting to conquer the whole of Japan by conventional forces instead (I'm sure there is footage of civilians killing themselves rather than surrendering after the Emperor had announced the end of the war and the countries surrender) - the death totals could have been far higher if this wasn't used.

It doesn't make the fact that it was the cities (and therefore civilians) who were targeted right, but what about the other similar tactics used to try to force a surrender? such as the firebombing of cities in Japan which were known to be made of paper and wood and would burn rapidly and cause mass civilian casualties

The use of the bomb was (possibly a very reluctant) way to try to get a side that would rather fight on and be wiped out, to surrender and end hostilities. It certainly saved the lives of a lot of troops (be they USSR or US) and possibly more civilian lives than were lost in those nuclear bombings due to the surrender rather than fierce fighting that would have been needed to take the islands (look at how many troops and civilians were killed in Europe or even from more recent conflicts like Syria) so was it really only about trying to beat the USSR in getting the japanese to surrender

It could also be argued that the use of these bombs meant that the cold war never became any more than a stand off between the 2 sides as the USSR knew that the US would be completely willing to drop these weapons on targets should it have escalated into a real war and therefore another world war could have occurred by now without these weapons previous use

This is the official story told by history and I think we all know it.

I was questioning it as a valid reason for using that much force, twice.

It hasn't been used since in hostilities between countries, even those where one side has nuclear weapons.

Putin has come out and brought up America's awful history and said he very much doubts that Russia would ever had done the same thing. In my view the cold war was Russia arming accordingly to protect themselves against America.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here