Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Paul Barber: The Transfer Window

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
We’ll be saying this time next year....

I really hope I can bounce this come May next year.
So many NSC people seem to be happier knowing more than the people that run the club and criticising them!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Nailed it.

Have to agree. Barber was ill advised to pander to a minority who instead of accepting that, short of printing money and telling selling clubs and players to name any price, the club did their best to get the players in that we needed want to pin the blame on the man that has put more money into the club than all the other owners combined! What exactly is going through the brain of someone who starts a thread suggesting that Bloom should go.

Is everything perfect at the club, of course not but it is a damned sight rosier than it was in regimes gone by.

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
We as fans have opinions which differ from each other (as expected) and have a right to post on social media about these opinions to criticise or praise as we see fit, as long as they aren't libellous, racist etc. PB seems to only want praise because 'we had a good window but we couldn't get that striker. So please feel sorry for us and we will try harder next time'. You can wring your hands PB but next time could be too late, only time will tell. Maybe we won't need 'the striker' and our other players step up to the plate and score the goals we need. Let's hope.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Could it possibly be the case, that some Premier-quality-type striker people might just not want to play for a newly promoted side who are likely to be struggling near the bottom of the league for most/all of the season, and are happier elsewhere?

Maybe we aren't quite the attraction some people on here like to think?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Have to agree. Barber was ill advised to pander to a minority who instead of accepting that, short of printing money and telling selling clubs and players to name any price, the club did their best to get the players in that we needed want to pin the blame on the man that has put more money into the club than all the other owners combined! What exactly is going through the brain of someone who starts a thread suggesting that Bloom should go.

Is everything perfect at the club, of course not but it is a damned sight rosier than it was in regimes gone by.
They backtracked and weakly claimed 'fishing' didn't they ?

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
Not sure what to make of his reply to be honest. Smacks of him wanting to do the right thing, but actually comes across as obsessive and a bit of 'doth protest too much' and a degree of trying to justify the (less than satisfactory) outcome. Reads like a version of the explanation he might have given to TB when he perhaps got a massive bollocking at 1.01am.[/QUO

Yes I am sure TB has a right to be far more disappointed than anybody at the outcome. I think PB needs some reflection and a change of approach. It is the results that matter and you make your own luck.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
It's disappointing and unfortunate, but not in my opinion unacceptable. The transfer market, particularly at our level is ridiculously competitive and we were not the only team to miss out. It's not simply a matter of sauntering up to a club and player with a huge bag of cash and getting on with it. Barcelona couldn't get Coutinho despite having the cash and the player wanting to drive himself away from merseyside, are they failures?

it is what it is. The club imo did try exceptionally hard to land a striker and for a whole variety of reasons failed to get one. I accept this leaves us in a difficult situation but not an impossible one. Afterall Sunderland managed to get a good season out of Jermain Defoe (a proven talent at this level) and they were down by easter.

We shall have to look for goal-scoring contributions from the across the team. I still think Murray, Baldock, and Hemed can get 25+ between them, Knockaert, March, Stephens, Brown, Dunk, Duffy, Gross, Propper and Izquierdo can also chip in with their share. Last season 40 or so goals and 35 points would have kept you up. I do not think either of those targets are beyond the squad that we have.

This real football not FIFA. can't wait to get back to the Amex on saturday and actually show my support for this team.
How many did Stephens,dunk and Duffy score in the championship last season:glare:
Think our 3 strikers will get 16 max between them :)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The understandable posts expressing concern, annoyance and anger, were dying a death. Interest was turning to the WBA game, possible formations and so on.

The club have poured petrol on the dying flames with the latest statement. TB's statement, plus stage 2 of the PR exercise through Naylor, were more than sufficient.

This sums it up perfectly. There was no need for Barber's response let alone a response criticising the more knuckleheaded fans. Totally unnecessary.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Lol. Nothing he said was unbelievable. It is more unbelievable to think the club sat around and did nothing to sign a striker like most idiots on here think.

What is unbelievable is that the club didn’t have back up plans in the event that their primary targets didn’t come off for any reason.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
If you think that you must be insane. Of course the club had back up plans. The club has recruited extremely well for the last few seasons, what gives you the impression they suddenly decided to not bother like they previously have?

Where are they then?

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
Lol. Nothing he said was unbelievable. It is more unbelievable to think the club sat around and did nothing to sign a striker like most idiots on here think.

Don't think people believe they did nothing just how they went about it been crying out for strikers for over a year now .And if the club think everything is rosy why keep trying to explain it away bloom , argus , barber , and programme . Shambles and they know it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
I'm over it anyway as the three strikers we have wearnt good enough anyway and now they're all crocked.The club facked up but it's over now and we won't get quality in January as long contracts won't be offered due to certain relegation.

Just enjoy the season as there's nothing anyone can do now...

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
What is unbelievable is that the club didn’t have back up plans in the event that their primary targets didn’t come off for any reason.

Yeah, it's unbelievable because it's not true.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
It is a bit of a shame that our CEO has to write programme ntes to answer questions from a bunch of dickheads.
It certainly is a real shame that our CEO writes programme notes. I used to like buying them.

It's also a shame that our CEO doesn't seem to know when to shut TFU.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
No one thinks this is FIFA what a childish comment.

Its clear we did try and go large on a striker however it was little too late, it seemed we had a budget of 10-15million for a striker which we failed to sign anyone with, then transfer deadline day we must have offered Spurs A lot of Money for Janssen considering they turned down 23 Million from WBA. So we had acknowledged at that point something had to be done, but this still didnt pay off.

Maybe if we had realised our approach wasnt working we would have changed this sooner.

Righhhhttt.

So, what part of we worked hard on probably our #1 target - Andone - agreed a very complex and expensive deal (likely to have been c€20m) - only for Deportivo to reneg on the deal at the 11th hour forcing us to aim for someone who hit the brief (fast, young enough to have resale value and of international calibre) but was ultimately above our station don't you understand?

I'm as guilty as the next fan at being initially disappointed with the way things turned out on deadline day but yours and others over simplification of a transfer window - throw enough shit at the wall in the hope that some of it sticks (and can play up front) beggars belief.

If you're REALLY that wazzed off with things vote with your feet and don't come to the games but don't expect to be welcomed back should, god forbid, CH and the squad become competitive and there's a risk you might start enjoying it rather than being hypercritical and bloody fickle.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here