Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tim Krul *signed* on season long loan subject to medical

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
It's not a racial stereotype, you read it that way. Australia were playing Japan.

Ryan is very short for a goal keeper. You see that in the PL, and it was also evident in that WC qualifier.

Umm, yes it was... you said Ryan is even smaller than some of the Japanese players, the inference being Japanese are small = racial stereotype!

I didn't say you were racist, just your comment was a racial stereotype, you know the sort of thing, Germans are hardworking, black men are good dancers, English men are lazy, etc...

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I am completely mystified by this Singing!

We have an international keeper as number 1. We have a international keeper as number 2 and we have a couple of youngsters in the stiffs. So what message is the management sending to our current crop of keepers?

Bizzare

perth seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Umm, yes it was... you said Ryan is even smaller than some of the Japanese players, the inference being Japanese are small = racial stereotype!

I didn't say you were racist, just your comment was a racial stereotype, you know the sort of thing, Germans are hardworking, black men are good dancers, English men are lazy, etc...

No it wasn't. You are reading into it too much. My comment was more about Mat Ryan. I wasn't trying to make a stereotype but you have your own preconceived notions about Japanese people so you interpreted it that way.

Ryan is very short for a goalkeeper, and this showed in the Japan vs Australia match yesterday.

Ryan's next game (unless he gets dropped) will be for Australia vs Thailand. If Ryan turned out to be shorter than the Thai players, and a comment is made about that, is that going to be racist too?

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Newcastle fans and some Australian media outlets are assuming Krul will be number one. Geordies are fuming because Ashley has given us a player who will keep us up ...

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Ryan is very short for a goalkeeper, and this showed in the Japan vs Australia match yesterday.

He really isn't. His height is 1.84m (6.03 feet)and Ben Roberts is 1.85m(6.05)

I don't remember people moaning about Ben Roberts being too short when he was a Prem keeper playing at Wembley, and our keeper, whose penalty save got us to the Millenium stadium, just as much as Virgo's goal.

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
Krul has experience - Ryan will learn a lot from Krul

Suspect we will go all out to make Krul a permanent deal on 1st January - frees up a loan slot

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
It's not a racial stereotype, you read it that way. Australia were playing Japan.

Ryan is very short for a goal keeper. You see that in the PL, and it was also evident in that WC qualifier.

It isn't about how short he is, it's about how good he is. As so often happens on here, new signings are crucified before they are even given a chance to do well. Judge Ryan after maybe a dozen games, certainly not just three.

As good as Tim Krul has undoubtably been for Newcastle in the past, he had a horrific long term injury not so long ago, and was farmed out to AZ Alkmaar last season. It may take him a while to get back into the groove, and I expect Ryan to continue to wear the first team gloves for the foreseeable future.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Very good and necessary signing. Recruitment team deserve some praise for this one. He's a good as we could've got in the circumstances. I would be surprised if he is not no.1 moving forward.

At the very least he gives Ryan real competition and that can only be a good thing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here