Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Summer wish list of recruits

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Congratulations on going up. Hell of a lot harder than the last time we went up. Helps a if you can score like.

Friend - Season before last we turned down 8m plus add ons from WBA when in the championship. Before the tv money became more daft and he has just signed a 4 year deal last summer. Think it would take 10m + for the fans favourite even at 29 now.

If you could get him Callum chambers on loan, he has been amazing at cb, almost on par with Ben Gibson who has really kicked on.. Really surprised me how good both have been. Ayala was quality in the championship, one of the top 2 or 3 centre halfs, isn't premier league standard. That's the huge gulf playing premier league football week in week out. Same goes for the likes of Clayton etc. One of the best players as defensive midfielder in championship, just ain't premier league quality. Gulf is bigger than it has ever been. Good luck, it can be done, look at Burnley. But have still just scraped it even with a dream home record that they won't be able to re create next year.

Friend - Another year older... you have Fabio.... maybe you could do with shifting his wages...and maybe he wants another crack at the Premier League, as you know the Championship is brutal and no guarantee you will get back, although of the 3 sides that will come down i think you have the best chance.

If its much more than 5 million I would think we would look to spend our money elsewhere, especially in attacking areas, I really rate Friend though would love him in my side.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Javier Hernandez. Still only 28 years old, in his last year at Leverkusen, experienced PL player.

Almost certainly out of our price range, but would definitely score us goals.

:)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
My very quick Google search has lead me to Sandro Ramírez from Malaga, £6m buyout clause so won't break the bank, Southampton and Spurs apparently interested though.

Absolutely loving your work, but with one obvious exception - No Youtube highlights reel set to a dubious europop soundtrack.

But please don't let this minor detail get in the way of uncovering more similar players.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ap_iLm66b-U

This kid looks good. Would be a hell of a signing.

Newcastle have been linked with 21-year-old Malaga striker Sandro Ramirez, who has a £5.1m release clause in his contract. (Chronicle)

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Newcastle have been linked with 21-year-old Malaga striker Sandro Ramirez, who has a £5.1m release clause in his contract. (Chronicle)

He looks very good in that video... let's go in for him...

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Michel Vorm - GK - Spurs - £5m
Charlie Taylor - LB - Leeds - Free
Fikayo Tomori - CB - Chelsea - Loan
Paul Verhaegh - RB - Augsburg - £2m
Jack Cork - CM - Swansea - £6m
Oscar Trejo - CM - Toulouse - Free
Eric Choupo-Moting - LM - Schalke - Free
Tammy Abraham - ST - Chelsea - Loan
Shane Long - ST - Southampton - 6m

I'd then sell or release Maenpaa, Norwood, LuaLua, Skalak, Manu, O'Grady & Forren.

I'd loan Towell, Goldson & Walton out and offer Ankergren a coaching role.

That would leave us with the following 25 man squad:

GK: Vorm, Stockdale, Sanchez*
Def: Verhaegh, Bruno, Taylor, Bong, Dunk, Duffy, Tomori*, Hunemeier, Rosenior
CM: Stephens, Kayal, Sidwell, Cork, Trejo
WM: Knockaert, March, Murphy, Moting
ST: Murray, Long, Abraham*, Baldock, Hemed

* indicates a player under the age of 21 who would not need to be registered to play.

Giving us a match day 18 of:

Home
Vorm
Verhaegh - Duffy - Dunk - Taylor
Knockaert- Stephens - Cork - March
Murray - Long
Subs: Stockdale, Bruno, Tomori, Kayal, Moting, Abraham, Baldock

Away
Vorm
Stephens - Cork - Kayal
Knockaert- Abraham - Long
Subs: Stockdale, Bruno, Tomori, Trejo, March, Moting, Murray

Added Prem experience through the spine of the team (Vorm, Cork, Long), as well as youth (Abraham, Tomori, Taylor) and some players who have performed well abroad (Verhaegh, Trejo, Moting)

The three foreigners for those who haven't heard of them:

Verhaegh is a Dutch international RB. He's spent the last 7 years at Augsburg where he is currently captain. Averages a goal every 10 games, is solid at the back. Whilst not a long term fix, he only has a year left on his contract and could do the job here for a year or two whilst we find somebody younger.

Oscar Trajo is an Argentinian/Italian midfielder who is currently at Toulouse, but is out of contract in the summer. Comfortable behind the striker or in the centre of midfield, he's also been used as a holding midfielder this season. He's been one of the best players in the French league this year and at 29 he's currently in his prime. He nearly moved to West Ham a few years ago, so obviously interested in a move to England.

ECM is a German born Cameroon international. He can either play as a left sided winger or as a target man (he's 6'3). He has a 1 in 4 record for Schalke, which is pretty good seeming he's normally played out wide.Good with both feet, strong in the air and good at beating a man. Would be an excellent signing on a free.

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex

I'd then sell or release Maenpaa, Norwood, LuaLua, Skalak, Manu, O'Grady & Forren.

* indicates a player under the age of 21 who would not need to be registered to play.

Home
Vorm
Murray - Long

Away
Vorm
Stephens - Cork - Kayal

Added Prem experience through the spine of the team (Vorm, Cork, Long), as well as youth (Abraham, Tomori, Taylor) and some players who have performed well abroad (Verhaegh, Trejo, Moting)

Verhaegh is a Dutch international RB. He's spent the last 7 years at Augsburg where he is currently captain. Averages a goal every 10 games, is solid at the back. Whilst not a long term fix, he only has a year left on his contract and could do the job here for a year or two whilst we find somebody younger.

Oscar Trajo is an Argentinian/Italian midfielder who is currently at Toulouse, but is out of contract in the summer. Comfortable behind the striker or in the centre of midfield, he's also been used as a holding midfielder this season. He's been one of the best players in the French league this year and at 29 he's currently in his prime. He nearly moved to West Ham a few years ago, so obviously interested in a move to England.

ECM is a German born Cameroon international. He can either play as a left sided winger or as a target man (he's 6'3). He has a 1 in 4 record for Schalke, which is pretty good seeming he's normally played out wide.Good with both feet, strong in the air and good at beating a man. Would be an excellent signing on a free.

I admire the effort here! Top work.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Cairney - Yes
Woods - Yes
Tomori - Yes

A few good loaners from the PL and maybe a surprise name, or two?

I like the idea of taking the best of what will be on offer in the Championship div and building slowly.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Though his contract is up, there would still be a fee involved as he is under 24 years old.

True, I have no idea how we'd have to pay in comp though so it was just easier to put down free. Really, all free transfers will cost something anyway, due to signing on fees anyway.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
True, I have no idea how we'd have to pay in comp though so it was just easier to put down free. Really, all free transfers will cost something anyway, due to signing on fees anyway.

Not sure about Vorm - is he really £5M worth better than Stockdale? Also, rumours are around that Chelsea want DS for bench-warming - he might want to stay with us and play, but if the choice is bench-warming for us or bench-warming for three times as much at Chelski..............put it this way, I wouldn't expect him to be a sub for us next season!

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014

Home
Vorm
Murray - Long

Away
Vorm
Stephens - Cork - Kayal

Someone's been playing Football Manager...

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Assuming Stockdale signs a new contract why would we go after Vorm who IMHO is no better? Similarly Long who is no improvement on Murray.

If you had the brain power to read my post properly, you'd see I didn't say Long was a replacement for Murray as I suggested them as a potential strike partnership. If you can't see the point of having Shane Long, a player who is very similar to Baldock but with nearly 250 Premier League appearances to his name then more fool you.

Vorm, IMO is a much better keeper than Stockdale but I understand that's up for debate.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
If you had the brain power to read my post properly, you'd see I didn't say Long was a replacement for Murray as I suggested them as a potential strike partnership. If you can't see the point of having Shane Long, a player who is very similar to Baldock but with nearly 250 Premier League appearances to his name then more fool you.

Vorm, IMO is a much better keeper than Stockdale but I understand that's up for debate.

If you had a brain stop you would post in such a manner that people would discuss an issue with you. FWIW according to soccerbase Long has started 218 games in total during his 12 years in England of which 142 have been for Reading in the Championship so that does not take him that much above any of our existing strikers , well not to warrant a £10m fee I dont think. Also I do not think that his play is anything like that of Sam Baldock he is more direct than SB and less mobile so for me it is a definite NO?

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
If you had a brain stop you would post in such a manner that people would discuss an issue with you. FWIW according to soccerbase Long has started 218 games in total during his 12 years in England of which 142 have been for Reading in the Championship so that does not take him that much above any of our existing strikers , well not to warrant a £10m fee I dont think. Also I do not think that his play is anything like that of Sam Baldock he is more direct than SB and less mobile so for me it is a definite NO?

Your first sentance makes no sense at all.

Shane Long has played 235 times in the Premier League, with 123 further appearances in the Championship. That is 183 more Premier League appearances than all of our strikers put together (Murray 52, Baldock 0, Hemed 0) but if 183 appearances isn't much to you, then okay.

Nobody has mentioned £10,000,000 apart from you, but okay... I guess.

And the last part of your message just sums it all up really. Have you really just called Shane Long less mobile? Is that Shane Long who has been recorded as one of the fastest players in the Premier League this season? Go and ask a Southampton fan what Longs main attributes are. I'd be very surprised if his movement isn't one of the first things they mention along with his pace and work rate. But no, you're right. He is much less mobile than Baldock.

I have no problem with people disagreeing with anything I post on here, but if you're going to moan then please, for the love of god can you at least have some basic understanding of the subject? Otherwise you just end up looking a bit dim.

:shrug:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Where do you get your figures from ?

According to soccerbase he has started a total of 218 league game and made 141 sub appearances of these games 132 were for Reading in The Championship the rest apart from this season have been for a struggling team at the bottom of the Premier If that is what you want and expect us to do ok but that is not mine and I am sure not TB or CH aims. As regards a fee Southampton paid £12m for him so I would expect them to want at least £10m if they were to sell him. As to his style of play he is much more direct than SB and goes straight for goal, granted at pace but SB strength is his ability to run across the line of the penalty box to draw players out to him making space for others.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Hahahaha

Reading were in the Premier League for 50 SL appearances in 2006-08.

Mug.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here