Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sam Allardyce New England Manager

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I'm no fan of big Sam's ways or teams, but Easy is right in suggesting that we ask our players to think and play in a way that they simply cannot. He might be a tad more direct, but as long as he can drill into the players to launch a ball with precision rather than panic, then it has to be better than watching some highly paid dawdlers stroking the ball around anxiously and impotently 40 yards from goal. At least there'll be little pretence in what we are, especially to ourselves. Huff and puff and be difficult to beat and have at least one poacher up front to do the business.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
We've been trying to out-Spain Spain for years now. We've never had the players who are comfortable enough in possession to do that. Our domestic game is built around intense 100mph physical football. To expect Englands players to show up at tournaments be able to slow that down and stroke it around like the best sides on the continent is naive and fanciful. We're not Spain, or France. We should play to our own strengths, not try to mimic others. And that doesn't just mean "hoofball" - Allardyce will recognise that he has some players with skill and guile - its his job now to devise a system whereby they can operate and flourish within a defined system of play. Thats what we've been lacking.

Spot on with every single point. The last point is the most pertinent. Big Sam needs to find our own identity.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
I could not agree more with that.
I have been saying for years that if we can play our domestic game on the international field there are not many that could live with it.
Trouble is that we would need to control the speed of the game from the start and if the opposition slow it down when they have possession we would need to pick it up again, not an easy thing to do over 90 minutes especially against great passing sides who know how to hold possession for large parts of the game.

We've been trying to out-Spain Spain for years now. We've never had the players who are comfortable enough in possession to do that. Our domestic game is built around intense 100mph physical football. To expect Englands players to show up at tournaments be able to slow that down and stroke it around like the best sides on the continent is naive and fanciful. We're not Spain, or France. We should play to our own strengths, not try to mimic others. And that doesn't just mean "hoofball" - Allardyce will recognise that he has some players with skill and guile - its his job now to devise a system whereby they can operate and flourish within a defined system of play. Thats what we've been lacking.

I think you are both wrong to be honest we play a blood and thunder game against top international sides we'll get ripped apart there's too many intelligent players and teams out there. And the possessions game is what we're moving towards not to the Spanish extent but just look at how the Germans play their domestic game is probably closest to us pressure, aggression and control and many of their players play abroad. Sam is just a very English plaster for a very English problem particularly in the Premier League "short sightedness."

Last edited:

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I'm no fan of big Sam's ways or teams, but Easy is right in suggesting that we ask our players to think and play in a way that they simply cannot. He might be a tad more direct, but as long as he can drill into the players to launch a ball with precision rather than panic, then it has to be better than watching some highly paid dawdlers stroking the ball around anxiously and impotently 40 yards from goal. At least there'll be little pretence in what we are, especially to ourselves. Huff and puff and be difficult to beat and have at least one poacher up front to do the business.

Bloody hell I understood every word of that.
Its nice to reply to one of your posts sir.
Totally agree as well.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I think you are both wrong to be honest we play a blood and thunder game against top international sides we'll get ripped apart there's to many intelligent players and teams out there. And the possessions game was what were moving towards just look at how the Germans play their domestic game is probably closest to us pressure, aggression and control and many of their players play abroad. Sam is just a very English plaster for a very English problem particularly in the Premier League "short sightedness."

Its a fair point, tricky innit, no wonder we cant win anything.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
I think you are both wrong to be honest we play a blood and thunder game against top international sides we'll get ripped apart there's to many intelligent players and teams out there.

I felt that when England were managed by Capello at the 2010 World Cup, he seemed to favour an Anglo-Saxon style "blood and thunder" approach that you are alluding to. And adopting that approach didn't stop England getting pulled all over the place by Germany in the last 16 match that year.

I don't see that England's problem is that they lack players to pass the ball, although 1 midfield playmaker would make a big difference as I said in my earlier post. Clearly the main issue that needs addressing is one of mental fragility when the pressure matches come round.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
I felt that when England were managed by Capello at the 2010 World Cup, he seemed to favour an Anglo-Saxon style "blood and thunder" approach that you are alluding to. And adopting that approach didn't stop England getting pulled all over the place by Germany in the last 16 match that year.

I don't see that England's problem is that they lack players to pass the ball, although 1 midfield playmaker would make a big difference as I said in my earlier post. Clearly the main issue that needs addressing is one of mental fragility when the pressure matches come round.

I don't buy that either to be honest since we've had probably the most successful sport psychiatrist in Dr Steve Peters working with the team just before Rio and to this date. But i will concede this, there seemed to be a lack of a functioning plan A,B, and C with Sam you won't get that!

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
We never learn

Some will scoff,but Leek Town hosted two U17 games,Finland/Ukraine and England/Finland. In both match everything fully profesional from the team bus to the boots. UEFA Jackets everywhere,as to the football BACKWARDS AND SIDEWAYS. That is the issue.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth

Telling our so called sports press to stop bigging everyone up like world beaters and generally acting like cretins, also banning the players from facebook and twitter during a tournament might be a good place to start.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Telling our so called sports press to stop bigging everyone up like world beaters and generally acting like cretins, also banning the players from facebook and twitter during a tournament might be a good place to start.

If the FA suits etc actually allowed the England team to go and stay somewhere where they can actually go out and stretch their legs and actually mix with other people like Germany invariably seem to do when they are at a tournament rather than have everyone confined to their rooms in some detached place in the middle of nowhere then maybe it will get players off social media in their downtime and actually create a more relaxed, harmonious atmosphere that then transfers itself to the pitch. That seemed to help Leicester last season.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Ah yes, Klinsmann - one of the few men who managed Bayern Munich without winning the Bundesliga and Germany without reaching a final.

Allardyce hasn't won the Bundesliga either! The wish for Klinsmann was more to do with the fact that his name was linked and I wanted him more than Sam. My actual number 1 choice was Eddie Howe. Maybe a silly wish but the choices available are a worry.

Howe would maybe have been a bit of fresh air after the dross we've had.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Allardyce hasn't won the Bundesliga either! The wish for Klinsmann was more to do with the fact that his name was linked and I wanted him more than Sam. My actual number 1 choice was Eddie Howe. Maybe a silly wish but the choices available are a worry.

Howe would maybe have been a bit of fresh air after the dross we've had.

Evening matey. Oddly I am in the more reactionary camp, and am pleased that Big Sam will be the new tight-lipped supremo. Eddie Howe is just too young. As Chris Sutton has said on R5, the job would ruin him. If it Ruins BS, then he will be 65 and it won't be a burdon for him. And who knows, just maybe . . . . .

:lolol:

See you soon, for another roller coaster ride on the highway to Hell (the premiershite, via Burton Albion) :rock:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Deserves his chance I guess.
Why? Is that what it's about, giving average English managers a ****ing chance!

How about we get a good manager, who gives us a bloody chance :angry:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
They've tried English managers, foreign managers, managers with good club records and those who were meant to be good on the training ground.

They're running out of options!
I've no experience of managing, or even coaching, are you suggesting they try giving me the job? It's not as though all our managers have been awful, some did a decent job. I can't think of anyone worse than McClaren, who must have been picked on the basis of being English and not much else.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
10 years ago I might have found this depressing, but (and I'm not having a pop at England just not that in to it all these days) seeing this just made me laugh and think oh well, this might be a laugh.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here