Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] Giving up drinking

Laridae

Apr 28, 2011
West of Sussex
How did you find it?

Really liked it actually [MENTION=159]Stumpy Tim[/MENTION]. Mixing with it with Schweppes tonic as opposed to cheap 'n' nasty stuff was a winner. It hasn't lasted long though - I ripped through the 70cl bottle pretty quickly but have saved the last 1 or 2 measures to enjoy with the football this afternoon. It's pretty pricey (back up to £26 now from £22 on Amazon) but worth every penny - especially in the summer.

Thanks for the recommendation! :)

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
On hot days, plenty of them here, I have tended to drink a pint of half orange juice and half soda with ice, refreshing and the ice keeps it cool so can last as long as a pint.
A couple of these to replace the first two pints and get home feeling ok and no hangover..............................not tonight though !

Laridae

Apr 28, 2011
West of Sussex
On hot days, plenty of them here, I have tended to drink a pint of half orange juice and half soda with ice, refreshing and the ice keeps it cool so can last as long as a pint.

That sound decent Mike, cheers - will give that a go too! Keep the ideas coming!! :)

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
I’ve managed 18 months off the sauce. Today is a true test tho

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Wow! Well done. Do you find you miss it?

I feel like I’ve gained a lot , and lost something too.
I miss the spontaneity of a night out, the stress release of a booze buzz and the simple pleasure of a nice cold beer on a sunny afternoon. There aren’t the stories. To be honest, life is duller, but then again aged 40 , married with kids, it’s going to be I guess.
As for the gains , I feel more in control, I am fitter and I get more done. My mental health is more robust. I seem to have more self respect.
The biggest bonus is that without the booze calories, I seem to be able to eat what I want without porking out.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Addictions are a strange beast I personally love smoking and can't really function without a smoke now and again. I hardly ever drink as my work requires driving at all hours of the day and not really into hangovers or feeling out of control that all passed in my twenties. I gave up for a couple of years and it didn't feel right like it wasn't me plus the weight gain really didn't suit me. Each to their own though and good luck in whatever you decide.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I've given my friends and family whiplash with the amount of times I've tried to quit drinking. Very much an "On / Off" thing with me. I'll go months without and then binge for months which is, in all likelihood, less healthy than maintaining a controlled intake of alcohol.

That's what I'm trying now. Nothing, or very little, during the week and then Friday / Saturdays are fair game with Sunday off again. Definitely making my wallet fatter.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
I've given my friends and family whiplash with the amount of times I've tried to quit drinking. Very much an "On / Off" thing with me. I'll go months without and then binge for months which is, in all likelihood, less healthy than maintaining a controlled intake of alcohol.

That's what I'm trying now. Nothing, or very little, during the week and then Friday / Saturdays are fair game with Sunday off again. Definitely making my wallet fatter.

In trying to give up I was becoming a 'yoyo' drinker so now I just try and drink in moderation and that seems to be working well for me

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Giving up is for quitters!

In all seriousness, well done to everyone who has reduced or stopped their intake. I didn't even start drinking until my mid-twenties. Was playing football a lot and didn't want to interfere with that. Once I started I went out with my mates a lot and drank a lot. But only at weekend so etc. Now with a wife and kids I obviously don't go on the lash very often, and whilst I like a beer with the football etc I can easily take it or leave it. I was a social smoker as well (after I stopped playing) and that never got its hooks in me. I'm starting to think I have been very lucky not to have any sort of dependency on these things.

Stumpy Tim

Since mid-May I haven't had a hangover, though I haven't given up either. I drink AF alternatives where I can, and tend not to drink during the week. I feel far more in control of alcohol than I ever have. I've lost 3-4 kgs and I definitely feel my mental health is more robust, though that's not something I've ever really suffered with.

Most importantly, I haven't wasted a single day with my kids because of hangovers. That's probably the thing I'm most grateful for.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Intrigued to know what is defined as heavy drinking?

I'm not sure that term is at all helpful. It's completely subjective.

Problem drinking is better. Is it a problem for you? How often and how bad?

https://www.smartcjs.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/SADQ.pdf

"The Severity of Alcohol Dependence Questionnaire was developed by the Addiction
Research Unit at the Maudsley Hospital. It is a measure of the severity of
dependence. The AUDIT questionnaire, by contrast, is used to assess whether or not
there is a problem with dependence."

And a very simple 5 question one more around life impact than physical addiction - http://lrsb.org.uk/uploads/alcohol-use-questionnaire.pdf

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here