Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I have almost given up posting onto this thread but occasionally pop in to see what's occurring and it's the same old same old the flat earth society won the referendum we are leaving the EU and since then it's been one bit of bad news after another but can anyone give me a single possative related to Brexit that has happened to date?

The most positive news I would guess has been that exporters are getting a bit of a boost, due to the weakened pound. However, Leavers on here insist the pound was overvalued anyway and a correction was due, and being currently in the single market is helping the exporters so I guess we can't cite that.
The good news is, it has not yet got as bad as anyone thought it would?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I have almost given up posting onto this thread but occasionally pop in to see what's occurring and it's the same old same old the flat earth society won the referendum we are leaving the EU and since then it's been one bit of bad news after another but can anyone give me a single possative related to Brexit that has happened to date?
I have almost given up posting onto this thread but occasionally pop in to see what's occurring and it's the same old same old remoaners queuing up to agree with each other about how terrible it is, and gleefully sharing any tit-bits of bad news, and quoting any articles or speeches they can find that suggest bad news (these articles and speeches are nearly all written or spoken by their fellow remoaners (or The Guardian) - surprising that!) It's become like a good old boys' club for remoaners (plus PPF, of course, but that's him just having fun, not debating).
Now the level has stooped to stating that the flat earth society won the referendum (which is laughable, as I don't remember them even being a part of it) it really isn't worth 'popping in' here very often. One positive hing is that the vast majority of NSC users have moved on, and don't often pop in here either any more. OK chaps - it's all yours. Carry on.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Daniel Hannan is changing his tune

“Voters weren’t told about the costs of Brexit”. Oh yes they were. Day after day by Remain campaigners and by the Government itself. They weighed those costs against the gains and decided, on balance, to vote leave.

So project fear was correct then Dan?

To be fair to Dan Hannan, he was consistently advocating a Norway or Swiss type arrangement, during the Leave campaign, and was quick to say the 48% must be considered and a compromise Brexit aimed for, after the result. He never thought Tories would be nuts enough to pursue the impossible, have it all brexit, and so it was project fear as far as he was concerned, no way we would really leave it all behind. He was a bit more weasel like a month or two after and started to make what he meant by "access to the single market" a bit more of a Johnson having and eating of cake thing, than an equitable thing.
Sovereignty and freedom of movement were never issues for Dan, he is just about business.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I have almost given up posting onto this thread but occasionally pop in to see what's occurring and it's the same old same old remoaners queuing up to agree with each other about how terrible it is, and gleefully sharing any tit-bits of bad news, and quoting any articles or speeches they can find that suggest bad news (these articles and speeches are nearly all written or spoken by their fellow remoaners (or The Guardian) - surprising that!) It's become like a good old boys' club for remoaners (plus PPF, of course, but that's him just having fun, not debating).
Now the level has stooped to stating that the flat earth society won the referendum (which is laughable, as I don't remember them even being a part of it) it really isn't worth 'popping in' here very often. One positive hing is that the vast majority of NSC users have moved on, and don't often pop in here either any more. OK chaps - it's all yours. Carry on.

Yet here you are. Just popping in every few days to tell us how you won't be popping in anymore.

And it's "tid-bits".

Last edited:

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing

Blimey keep calm I only asked what positives have we seen since the Referndum

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Cheerio then, be sure to pop back with any good news if any appears

Ps, " we got our country back ' means nothing.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006

I am guessing you didn't hear that the Bank of England had revised the growth forecast for the UK from 1.5% 2018 and 1.7% 2019 made in November 2017 to 1.7% for 2018 and 1.8% for 2019 made in January 2018.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/bank-of-england-mark-carney-interest-rate-decision-february-2018-2

You really need to stop running your political view from just the Guardian headlines.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
As discussed, I don't. Listen up at the back.

So in answer to my question did you know that only recently and one month after you slightly out of date Guardian headline the BoE had revised our figures upwards, if so then why quote your outdated example above the BoE and if not then 'whats the point'.

Last edited:

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
And he provided none.

Serious question, can you provide the bad news, not vague insults on a negotiation process that hasn't even started yet and will never deliver your preferred Remain outcome or throwing rotten eggs at you favourite villainous politicians we all have those, but something tangible that is a direct result of the referendum and something that is quantifiable ?

If I was you I know what I would say but I still cannot see anything that is particularly problematic or offers validation that the future economic performance for the UK is doomed.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I am guessing you didn't hear that the Bank of England had revised the growth forecast for the UK from 1.5% 2018 and 1.7% 2019 made in November 2017 to 1.7% for 2018 and 1.8% for 2019 made in January 2018.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/bank-of-england-mark-carney-interest-rate-decision-february-2018-2

You really need to stop running your political view from just the Guardian headlines.

In the same BoE report did you read the bit Carney said about Brexit:

“Developments regarding the United Kingdom's withdrawal from the European Union — and in particular the reaction of households, businesses and asset prices to them, remain the most significant influence on, and source of uncertainty about, the economic outlook." and how the U.K. economy lags global growth?

Did you miss this quote “ UK economy expanded by 1.8 per cent in 2017, the weakest calendar year of growth since 2012”

What about this one “Business investment is not up any way to the degree that the world economy growing at over 4 percent with the easiest financial conditions, most supportive financial conditions in over a decade”

Look what you could have had.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
In the same BoE report did you read the bit Carney said about Brexit:

“Developments regarding the United Kingdom's withdrawal from the European Union — and in particular the reaction of households, businesses and asset prices to them, remain the most significant influence on, and source of uncertainty about, the economic outlook." and how the U.K. economy lags global growth?

Did you miss this quote “ UK economy expanded by 1.8 per cent in 2017, the weakest calendar year of growth since 2012”

What about this one “Business investment is not up any way to the degree that the world economy growing at over 4 percent with the easiest financial conditions, most supportive financial conditions in over a decade”

Look what you could have had.

So if you want to stick to BoE figures to discuss then I am more than happy, there are always challenges in any economy very rarely do the planets align for perfect performance, not even in Gemany but just take a minute to look at what YOU and you mate The Clamp have posted and then give me an actual BoE figure or statement that supports those post, it's called credibility and you guy's have none, zilch, nada, zip.

Herr Tubthumper:

The U.K. economy is tanking, the pound is collapsing, unemployment rising
The way the country is collapsing around your ears you'll all be living in 3rd world conditions very shortly.
Do you really and genuinely think the current chaos of the U.K. economy is merely some re-adjustment
Britain on the brink.
The German economy continues to expand at a robust pace and research team at BNP Paribas expects GDP to grow by 1.8% during 2016." (good enough for Germany not good enough for the UK)

The Clamp, too many to mention.

Experts are predicting a recession.That was my simple, succinct point. (I love this one)
Financial experts admit they thought it would happen quicker but they also all agree it is happening. Undeniably.
Our economy is crashing
There'll be a huge crash and people will lose homes, cars, marriages and livelihoods
I wouldn't be surprised if article 50 never gets filed

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Serious question, can you provide the bad news, not vague insults on a negotiation process that hasn't even started yet and will never deliver your preferred Remain outcome or throwing rotten eggs at you favourite villainous politicians we all have those, but something tangible that is a direct result of the referendum and something that is quantifiable ?

If I was you I know what I would say but I still cannot see anything that is particularly problematic or offers validation that the future economic performance for the UK is doomed.

I don't know if you believe experts, but these were the government's own figures for the impact of Brexit. They don't look like a 'Brexit Dividend' to me.

brexit.png

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
So if you want to stick to BoE figures to discuss then I am more than happy, there are always challenges in any economy very rarely do the planets align for perfect performance, not even in Gemany but just take a minute to look at what YOU and you mate The Clamp have posted and then give me an actual BoE figure or statement that supports those post, it's called credibility and you guy's have none, zilch, nada, zip.

Herr Tubthumper:

The U.K. economy is tanking, the pound is collapsing, unemployment rising
The way the country is collapsing around your ears you'll all be living in 3rd world conditions very shortly.
Do you really and genuinely think the current chaos of the U.K. economy is merely some re-adjustment
Britain on the brink.
The German economy continues to expand at a robust pace and research team at BNP Paribas expects GDP to grow by 1.8% during 2016." (good enough for Germany not good enough for the UK)

The Clamp, too many to mention.

Experts are predicting a recession.That was my simple, succinct point. (I love this one)
Financial experts admit they thought it would happen quicker but they also all agree it is happening. Undeniably.
Our economy is crashing
There'll be a huge crash and people will lose homes, cars, marriages and livelihoods
I wouldn't be surprised if article 50 never gets filed

Yep. Stand by all of those. I wouldn't have been surprised if A50 had never been filed.

Just wait. We haven't left yet but when we do...oh boy, it will be worse than even I could predict. It;s in the post.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I don't know if you believe experts, but these were the government's own figures for the impact of Brexit. They don't look like a 'Brexit Dividend' to me.

View attachment 94148

This was discussed and if this is then deemed as legit leaked paper then perhaps it's worth further discussion but you asked what was going right which was countered by what exactly is going badly and you post a graph for 15 years into the future, it was only leaked a couple of weeks ago, if it is the economic implications that concern you hasn't the lack of overall economic trauma shown that this might not ever happen.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Yep. Stand by all of those. I wouldn't have been surprised if A50 had never been filed.

Just wait. We haven't left yet but when we do...oh boy, it will be worse than even I could predict. It;s in the post.

Really, you don't acknowledge that your post were posted as events that were happening at the time, not projections, I have more ?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
This was discussed and if this is then deemed as legit leaked paper then perhaps it's worth further discussion but you asked what was going right which was countered by what exactly is going badly and you post a graph for 15 years into the future, it was only leaked a couple of weeks ago, if it is the economic implications that concern you hasn't the lack of overall economic trauma shown that this might not ever happen.

So you will trust the government over brexit unless it forecasts something that doesn't fit your narrative? I see.

Anyway, answer the question. What's going positively well with Brexit?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here