Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bournemouth away tomorrow

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
I would imagine only those tickets scanned at the ground tonight get loyalty points awarded and those that bought tickets and didn't go get points deducted!!

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Of course it's not an ideal situation, but if people are missing out on Arsenal and West Ham tickets because they are 10 pts or under the thresholds, what do you expect them to do? £10 gets them tickets for other games. Yes, far from ideal, but don't blame the fans, the club have created the situation imho through being generous with awarding points. I'd have left this one as £10, points TBC and awarded them after.

I don't like this argument that it's the clubs fault for being generous with awarding points. It makes sense that Arsenal away receives less points than say Newcastle/Stoke/Burnley away. So 10 points to watch the reserves on a Tuesday night in Bournemouth? This was closer to a 15 pointer than a 5. The problem is with fans the fans here. Sadly, if the club do act on it, and they can't use away clubs "scanned tickets" technology, it will only serve to make life more difficult for away fans, such as having to collect tickets from a hut before the game or something. If we can't police ourselves, the number of people who complain, will end up with the club doing something none of us like and the people to blame will be those who bought a ticket with no intention of going.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I strongly believe they shouldn't allocate any new loyalty points for any game unless it goes on general sale to members. Otherwise they are just rewarding people first in the queue for being first in the queue. That's no definition of loyalty

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I don't like this argument that it's the clubs fault for being generous with awarding points. It makes sense that Arsenal away receives less points than say Newcastle/Stoke/Burnley away. So 10 points to watch the reserves on a Tuesday night in Bournemouth? This was closer to a 15 pointer than a 5. The problem is with fans the fans here. Sadly, if the club do act on it, and they can't use away clubs "scanned tickets" technology, it will only serve to make life more difficult for away fans, such as having to collect tickets from a hut before the game or something. If we can't police ourselves, the number of people who complain, will end up with the club doing something none of us like and the people to blame will be those who bought a ticket with no intention of going.

My point was don't say what the points are. They could have announced tomorrow morning 15pts will be awarded for those who went last night. Not knowing whether it could be 2 or 15 or whatever would probably stop most of the loyalty speculators.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Agree with most of this but not sure about the end part. I don't think the club will ever send its own team of people to distribute tickets outside an away ground due to the cost and hassle of having to hire, pay and manage those staff. Nor do I think getting data from the other club is likely to happen (although it would undoubtedly be effective) as while that might be possible for Manchester United away, it certainly won't be if we draw Gateshead away in the FA Cup. They simply can't implement a system they won't be able to use for every fixture.

I'd be interested to know what the likes of Man United, Liverpool and Arsenal do as they must face this issue for every single match. Their away ends always seem to be packed so how are they stopping fans with lots of points buying tickets for games they can't attend?

Ultimately we are a tiny club in comparison and in our case the issue affects a small number of people for a small number of games for probably just one season. So I don't think the club need to act yet, but it would be interesting to know what others do.

I have a few Arsenal supporting friends. The impression I get is that there are so many friends and relations who would take any ticket and are grateful at a sniff of a ticket plus the sharing of
season tickets informally, that this is not an issue at all. That is only my impression of course.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Interesting, because in a way that's just as poor as buying tickets and not turning up at all. You're still depriving people lower down the pecking order of the chance to go to matches.

What it tells me is that if Arsenal (after 25 years of PL football and sell outs every week watching one of the country's best teams) haven't effectively solved the problem there is no chance of BHAFC doing so six weeks into our first top flight season in 30 years just because 300 people bought a ticket for a cup match and didn't show up.

I agree - but that is life unfortunately - unfair. And like most things in life - very difficult to change where
human nature is involved.

Jack Daniels

Aug 25, 2011
Buggers Hole
Agree with most of this but not sure about the end part. I don't think the club will ever send its own team of people to distribute tickets outside an away ground due to the cost and hassle of having to hire, pay and manage those staff. Nor do I think getting data from the other club is likely to happen (although it would undoubtedly be effective) as while that might be possible for Manchester United away, it certainly won't be if we draw Gateshead away in the FA Cup. They simply can't implement a system they won't be able to use for every fixture.

I'd be interested to know what the likes of Man United, Liverpool and Arsenal do as they must face this issue for every single match. Their away ends always seem to be packed so how are they stopping fans with lots of points buying tickets for games they can't attend?

Ultimately we are a tiny club in comparison and in our case the issue affects a small number of people for a small number of games for probably just one season. So I don't think the club need to act yet, but it would be interesting to know what others do.
As i understand it at Liverpool, the ones at the front of the q buy. Go if they want to, sell if they dont. I get the feeling most clubs seperate league and cup 'points'/'credits'. Know someone who purchased a ticket for liverpool away to plymouth in the cup to retain cup loyalty credits with no intention of going to the game.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003

I think someone once posted that United have the "collect at away ground" system but I might be wrong. I didn't express it well but my argument was more of a, "abuse the system and no doubt the club will come up with some type of heavy handed, annoying solution no one likes".

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
My point was don't say what the points are. They could have announced tomorrow morning 15pts will be awarded for those who went last night. Not knowing whether it could be 2 or 15 or whatever would probably stop most of the loyalty speculators.

Fair enough, sounds totally reasonable, you shouldn't need to know beforehand.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Good suggestion, because with the knowledge that only 650 out of 1,100 turned up they could simply opt for 2 points, meaning the non-attendees have done little more than waste a tenner.

Those who went fully deserve the points, if not more. They shouldn't earn less because 550 odd people abused the system. Not stating the points earned before the match could help a little bit though - although it doesn't take a genius to work out Bournemouth away in the cup would be 10 or 15 rather than 5.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
The vast majority of people there tonight won't need the points. They'll already have loads as if they go to away cup matches on Tuesday nights they'll certainly be going week in week out. And if the club made it clear no points or very few were going to be awarded for games where the system can be abused nobody could complain as you'd buy your ticket fully aware of the rules. In my opinion limiting the number of points for certain games and not announcing them until after the match is played is probably the easiest and cheapest solution.

If you take the view that the vast majority attending always go to such games and don't need the points then what's the point in a loyalty point system? You have to give the shit games more points than Arsenal/Chelsea/Spurs away or those who fancy a trip to London have just as many loyalty points as someone whose gone to Stoke, Burnley & Newcastle.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Quite full...
36f264430bc16379e8cb87f0aa397b14.jpg

Myself, [MENTION=27447]Goldstone1976[/MENTION], [MENTION=249]edna krabappel[/MENTION] and [MENTION=687]Carrot Cruncher[/MENTION] are right in the middle of your photo and around us only 1 seat in 2 or 3 were being used.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here